Buying Booze for Home

2 hours ago, mets123 said:

If you're going on a Caribbean cruise, you will find better prices in ports like San Marteen, St Kitts, or St Thomas.

Not necesarily.

Back in the day I would bring back hard liquor for personal use etc.  However, for the last few years, I haven't since I mostly drink wine now.

So about 10 years ago or so, I knew one of my co-workers was a drinker of a good quality whiskey or bourbon.  Knew nothing about the current pricing of said alcholhol.  Once I got onboard I checked the ship's price for it.  Sent an email to my co-worker to ask if this was a good price compared to our at home price.  He said "YES".  So I used that as my baseline.  At each port stop the price was about the same as the ship price.  I ended up buying it onboard the ship.

Last  year on Harmony we asked if we found a  price cheaper on one of the stops would they price match? We found the Henessey Pure White cheaper in St.Kitts. We took a  picture  of the store & the sign showing the price.  We showed it to the guy that told us this & he price match as promised. 

Remember there are strict limits on how much alcohol you can bring through customs: 1 L per adult.  Any more and you must declare it and pay tax on it.  While it isn't a lot, it makes the price a little less attractive and it is a major delay in your arrival.  If you buy in Puerto Rico you can make an argument for additional tax free amounts from there but make sure you check into it carefully.

7 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Remember there are strict limits on how much alcohol you can bring through customs: 1 L per adult.  Any more and you must declare it and pay tax on it.  While it isn't a lot, it makes the price a little less attractive and it is a major delay in your arrival.  If you buy in Puerto Rico you can make an argument for additional tax free amounts from there but make sure you check into it carefully.

I haven't  purchased alcohol on a cruise since they stopped letting you board a flight with liquids. We are driving to port this time so I will be able to make a purchase. Since it's been so long I forgot the rules. I remember in the past that something about locally made products don't count toward your limit  and is the limit per person over the age of 21 or per couple in the room?

I haven't  purchased alcohol on a cruise since they stopped letting you board a flight with liquids. We are driving to port this time so I will be able to make a purchase. Since it's been so long I forgot the rules. I remember in the past that something about locally made products don't count toward your limit  and is the limit per person over the age of 21 or per couple in the room?

The answer is, it depends on where it is made, and where it is purchased.

You can check here.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/424/~/bringing-alcohol-from-u.s.-insular-possessions-into-the-u.s.-(u.s.-virgin

Past Reviews post 184
  • Like 1

To clarify something, don't you have to declare all of it, but only pay duty on any amount greater than 1L per adult? The amount, from what I glean, is based on the actual alcohol content but some say make your price comps based on approx $3 per bottle.

Yup last 2 posters have it right... 1L per adult 21 or older,  but more allowed for Puerto Rico and perhaps USVI... read the rules and print and carry them to be sure.  declare all your liquor and be ready to pay tax for  whatever they decide you owe.

That said, I carried 3L home once for two of us... and they asked me a second time how much I had and I said 3 bottles.  And they said move along.... 🙂

That said, I carried 3L home once for two of us... and they asked me a second time how much I had and I said 3 bottles.  And they said move along.... [emoji846]

We brought 4L back the last time we drove. They also told us to move along. They said if it was less than $10 they would collect, they ignore it.

Past Reviews post 184

On 3/31/2019 at 2:28 PM, h20skibum said:

We brought 4L back the last time we drove. They also told us to move along. They said if it was less than $10 they would collect, they ignore it.

Past Reviews post 184

I tend to cruise to a lot of Caribbean rum distilleries.  My biggest single haul was 15 litres (in 4 checked bags).  A few notes:

• You are allotted 1L Duty free; 5L if you make a stop at a US territory (St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, etc) and at least 1L is a product of a US territory. However, you can bring back as much as you like; just be prepared to pay (and be happy when they don't bother to charge).  The regulation is not meant to get in the way of gifts or souvenirs, it's meant to curb resale quantities. **Residents of Canada and Texas may have other restrictions.
  • Declare everything where required.  You will probably not have to pay (you may not even be asked to declare), but concealing a purchase is a whole other sort of headache.  When asked I usually declare "X litres assorted rum, $100" or some such.  I have never been asked to pay duty - it's just not worth their time when there are 4000 passengers behind you in line.
  • If you're concerned about how much your luggage is going to weigh (if you're flying home) - a 750ml bottle weighs about 3 pounds (more or less).  Bring a luggage scale if you think you'll need it.  It's usually far cheaper to check another bag than it is to check an overweight one.  If you're driving - load it up!
  • Plan ahead - bring large ziploc bags/bubble wrap/wine diapers - protect your bottles and your clothes and other peoples' suitcases. It's sad to see suitcases with liquid pouring out, leaving puddles, and soaking every other bag around it.  Pack your protected bottles in the middle of the bag.
  • The TSA doesn't get too cranky until you pack more than 5L in any one bag.  They may still inspect but they won't do anything except leave you a little note. 

4 hours ago, pythia said:

You are allotted 1L Duty free; 5L if you make a stop at a US territory (St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, etc) and at least 1L is a product of a US territory.

The 5L exception requires stopping in a US Insular Possession. USVI is a US Insular Possession; PR is in the US Customs Zone and is not an Insular Possession. 

As an aside Note that airlines forbid checking of alcohol higher than 140 proof. 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:47 AM, Cat8bird said:

Last  year on Harmony we asked if we found a  price cheaper on one of the stops would they price match? We found the Henessey Pure White cheaper in St.Kitts. We took a  picture  of the store & the sign showing the price.  We showed it to the guy that told us this & he price match as promised. 

I did this as well with Henessey Pure White. Glad I realized they price matched as it was about a $7 difference.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:07 PM, South Shore 41 said:

Question - can you have the bottles shipped home?  If not, will airlines let you fly with alcohol?

Yes, but it can be very expensive.

In some cases, it may not be shipped flying on passenger airplanes (even though it would be OK in checked baggage), so has to be handled by one of the international carriers (DHL, FedEx, UPS) and they have their own rules, and costs.

I used to be able to get 6 bottles shipped from the UK to the US for about $25.  They changed the BritPost rules, and by international carrier, it now costs almost $100 for 6 bottles.

It is getting so it is cheaper for me to fly the UK, but the bottles and bring them home myself. 😄