Any bariatric cruisers out there?

11 hours ago, reganr622 said:

Thank you!! It’s been a rough road that’s for sure but getting so much better now! I’ve tried beer but so far it doesn’t agree with me, I used to drink it like water!! 😫 Possibly by the time I cruise I’ll be able to have a beer or two. 

I really love the idea of the cheese plate, I’ll definitely be putting that tip to good use! 

We were told that carbonated beverages (soda, beer, sparkling wine) would cause your newly revised stomach to slowly expand. Totally off limits

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

We were told that carbonated beverages (soda, beer, sparkling wine) would cause your newly revised stomach to slowly expand. Totally off limits

Yes, there is a great debate about that. Studies have shown that’s not possible but I personally don’t drink carbonation. (Other than the little sips I’ve tried) My nutritionist said she has no problem with a little carbonation every once in awhile on special occasions. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, John&LaLa said:

The OP had surgery a year ago, they know how to eat by now. Not telling the waiter is going to cause a scene because they are trained to react to people that only take a bite or two. They will think you dont like the food and ask you why, or what else they can get you. 

Letting them know upfront, discreetly,  is the best option to avoid this. 😉

I cruised about 9mo after having a sleeve procedure. I did not let the wait staff know and I had no issues them being offended. I just politely said I was full and no I didn't want to try anything else. I didn't feel like I needed to inform them of my surgery and don't feel like anyone was offended. I won't be telling wait staff when I go in 2 weeks either.

To the OP congrats and you do what you feel comfortable doing. I did skip the bread as that is my favorite and I'd eat the whole roll and then not have room for anything else.

14 hours ago, reganr622 said:

Thank you!! It’s been a rough road that’s for sure but getting so much better now! I’ve tried beer but so far it doesn’t agree with me, I used to drink it like water!! 😫 Possibly by the time I cruise I’ll be able to have a beer or two. 

I really love the idea of the cheese plate, I’ll definitely be putting that tip to good use! 

Be very careful with drinking any liquor. I'm 1 1/2 yrs out and have drank on several occasions and it hits me really fast, as in, not even 1/2 way through a drink and I'm buzzing heavily. I actually had an issue where I drank 1/3 of a margarita, had horrible heartburn and ended up fainting. I have a heart condition too so I'm not sure if it was from the sleeve or my blood pressure plummeting. I haven't drank since. I think my drinking days are over. Just be careful. 

Edited by Poggie

15 hours ago, reganr622 said:

Just take your time. My rule is, a beer right before hitting the stage, then maybe one in between sets. Two's my limit. On a cruise however, it's on a rare day but I'll have a gin tonic now and then. Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poggie said:

I cruised about 9mo after having a sleeve procedure. I did not let the wait staff know and I had no issues them being offended. I just politely said I was full and no I didn't want to try anything else. I didn't feel like I needed to inform them of my surgery and don't feel like anyone was offended. I won't be telling wait staff when I go in 2 weeks either.

To the OP congrats and you do what you feel comfortable doing. I did skip the bread as that is my favorite and I'd eat the whole roll and then not have room for anything else.

LadyTK asked for advice, I gave it. 😉

FWIW, my advice is based on 398 cruising nights post surgery. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just found this group.  I had RNY surgery in October 2018. Still a "work in progress" but doing great.  I am planning on taking a cruise in March 2020 with family and friends. This will be my 8th cruise overall but my first after surgery so I was a little worried until I read your posts.  Thanks to everyone for their tips and experiences on cruising after surgery.  It is very encouraging.

Cruising after surgery isn’t bad- so many food options!  Just, make sure you have a canned response for the waiters when you don’t clean your plate 🙂. I usually say- I don’t eat much, and just wasn’t too hungry 🙂. Twice I’ve had concerned head waiters come by, and I just repeat my canned response 🙂

I had a waiter argue with me that I needed to take another bite of my food because I hadn't eaten much. For me, what I had eaten was actually more than enough. When I finally said that I had surgery, he backed off. I don't care if people know I've had surgery, but it is annoying to have to explain anytime I don't clean my plate.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Going on Oasis of the Seas in March. Very excited. 1st time on Royal Caribbean. Has anyone tried the specialty restaurants after surgery? How was your experience?  I am traveling with my husband, son (17) and some friends and they all want to try at least one specialty restaurant (either Chops Grill or 150 Central Park). Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rose

Although I haven’t had surgery, I eat a low carb keto diet.  On my cruise, I told the MDR waiter I am on a keto diet the first night.  He was GREAT.  Every night he would make suggestions on what meals are low carb, substitute the starches for veggies and eliminate sauces and butter (I cut butter too).  Often times he would bring veggies that weren’t on the menu and they were well prepared.  I did not have to ask each night as he was prepared with my options.  He would also bring the next nights menu over so I could peak.  He knew the ingredients and definitely watched out for me.  The waiters were on target and never questioned the amount I ate.  

• Thanks 1

I am 3 1/2 years post op and had the sleeve.  I have been on a couple of cruises since then and have done well.  We had dinner in the MDR every night but 1 when we ate at Chops (small filet).  I had my favorite appetizer several nights (escargot) and always ordered, but seldom finished, the sugar-free dessert option.  Otherwise I focused on the protein and vegetables in each meal and it was always great (especially on lobster night!).  I too told the server that I was a light eater so he understood after the first night not to worry about me when I didn't clean my plate. 

Lunch was always in WJ and again I would just focus on getting my protein and veggies.

The first cruise after my surgery I brought a shaker bottle and protein powder on the trip so I could have it in the morning.

When I needed an afternoon snack I would go to WJ and get some cheese/turkey/ham or guacamole with a couple of chips.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 9:28 AM, MaddyandMax said:

I wish, but the other 12 people I am traveling with would be upset to not have the bread LOL.  I'll have to have some self control and just have half a bun every other night and those days stay away from bread earlier in the day.  At least that's the plan LOL

I just ask my husband to let me have one bite of his. I can't not eat the roll if I take one, but a bite with no leftovers on my plate makes me happy. I also don't order dessert at the same time we order everything else, I would eat it if it came. 

Glad I found this thread.  I'm about  3 weeks gastric sleeve post op.  I have a cruise scheduled in December.  We asked for traditional late which is unusual for us.  Somewhat apprehensive.  Anyway appreciate the advice.  I have no issues with telling the wait staff that I've had surgery.  It's not like I'll ever see them again.  BTW, I'm losing about 12 pounds since the surgery.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Glad I found this thread.  I'm about  3 weeks gastric sleeve post op.  I have a cruise scheduled in December.  We asked for traditional late which is unusual for us.  Somewhat apprehensive.  Anyway appreciate the advice.

I have found my favorite breakfast is the made to order eggs in the MDR, Windjammer, or Johnny Rockets.  Fresh and yummy 🙂

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but you can also inform the Head Waiter, that you may not be finishing your meal entirely, due to surgery, not because you didn't like it.

I've heard that if the management sees unfinished meals being returned to the kitchen, it could reflect badly upon the waitstaff, etc.  

I am not a bariatric surgery patient, but I’m happy to read the success stories of so many others. 

I am writing to add, there is NO need for anyone, unless they choose, to explain any medical condition to anyone on the cruise ship.  

A simple, “I am full” or “I just wanted to taste“ is more than sufficient.  I cruised with a medical situation and was not able to eat much. I simply ordered, took a few bites, and after the first or second night the waiter never questioned what remained on the plate. The plate  is scraped in the waiter work section before the dishes are taken back for washing, so there is no way anyone would know that a plate remained uneaten. No fear of any repercussion for the staff. 

enjoy the cruises and best wishes 

m

27 minutes ago, cgags47 said:

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but you can also inform the Head Waiter, that you may not be finishing your meal entirely, due to surgery, not because you didn't like it.

actually, I may just do that next time!  On most cruises post surgery, I always warn my waiter- “I don’t eat much”.  However, they always are concerned when they see how little I eat, and once we had the head waiter come over in the middle of the cruise, concerned about how little I ate.  I like the idea of giving the head waiter a heads up 🙂