Any bariatric cruisers out there?

My DH and I had bariatric surgery over a year ago.  We have not been on a cruise since but we are booked for October on GOS.  I had RNY and DH had the sleeve.  If any other post bariatric cruisers are out there, please share your personal experiences in the MDR.

Let your waiter know you will probably not finish your portions because of this. That way he wont get upset when he thinks you're not eating.

Cruising is the perfect vacation for bariatric patients since you can eat little portions all the time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are SO many choices of food to eat, go with a plan and follow your routine. Look at the buffet BEFORE you grab a plate so you can go back and target only what you want and not be tempted. Or if the buffet is to daunting to attempt, eat all your meals in the dining room where you get a set portion and will likely have more will power. You are allowed to bring water on board, so be sure to get your daily water intake. 

Sorry, just noticed you are asking about the MDR. You can order half portion, or appetizer size entrees. If you don't see something on the menu you want, there is always a steak and chicken option listed below the evening specials. I have done only a salad and asked for the cheese plate as a meal. The wait staff will accommodate you any way they can. 

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Let your waiter know you will probably not finish your portions because of this. That way he wont get upset when he thinks you're not eating.

Cruising is the perfect vacation for bariatric patients since you can eat little portions all the time

How does it affect drinking?

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How does it affect drinking?

You're not supposed to drink with your meals after surgery.  I just refuse refills when asked once the food comes.  No one gives that a second thought.  

On a cruise is really no different than eating out anywhere else.  You just don't get to-go boxes.

You may want to ask if you can get your entire meal at the same time.  I know that I have a 15-minute window to eat before I'm too full and I prefer to have my appetizers and entrees come together so I can at least have some of each before I'm too full.  

Edited by AshleyDillo

Bariatric surgery changes you entire way of eating...that's the point!  Eat what you want/can.  Don't be pressured by anyone.  NEVER feel you must clean your plate, either BEFORE or AFTER this surgery!  Eat what you want and can, and make NO apologies!  You  may inform your waitstaff if you want to, but you don't have to.  It's not their business, nor anyone else's but that's up to you!

• Like 2

I know you asked about the main dining room, but the answers given have totally covered that topic.  I thought I would mention that have taken a mini smoothie maker on cruises for years.  I feel better starting my day with a protein shake.  I pack my protein,  almond milk in cartons so it is shelf stable, etc.  I have even collected berries from the buffet the day before for an awesome wake up!  ️No not shy away from taking uneaten food back to your room.  When hunger hits or you get the protein  low with shakes, you will be delighted you have a cheese plate in the fridge.  Have a wonderful time!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

Bariatric surgery changes you entire way of eating...that's the point!  Eat what you want/can.  Don't be pressured by anyone.  NEVER feel you must clean your plate, either BEFORE or AFTER this surgery!  Eat what you want and can, and make NO apologies!  You  may inform your waitstaff if you want to, but you don't have to.  It's not their business, nor anyone else's but that's up to you!

Unbelievable 

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Why is this unbelievable....it's probably the most believable thing cb at sea has said recently.

The OP had surgery a year ago, they know how to eat by now. Not telling the waiter is going to cause a scene because they are trained to react to people that only take a bite or two. They will think you dont like the food and ask you why, or what else they can get you. 

Letting them know upfront, discreetly,  is the best option to avoid this. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

The OP had surgery a year ago, they know how to eat by now. Not telling the waiter is going to cause a scene because they are trained to react to people that only take a bite or two. They will think you dont like the food and ask you why, or what else they can get you. 

Letting them know upfront, discreetly,  is the best option to avoid this. 😉

Couldn't they just ask for 1/2 portions (or small) and leave it at that...Does someone really have to share personal medical info...just saying.

48 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Couldn't they just ask for 1/2 portions (or small) and leave it at that...Does someone really have to share personal medical info...just saying.

The OP asked for actual advice.  I've seen that method to work best

• Like 2

I see no reason the OP would have to tell the waiters that they had surgery. If they wished to they could say that they have a small appetite and would like smaller portions. If the waiter does ask about uneaten food and asks if they can get them something else a simple " no thank you, everything was good" should suffice. Trying to get the same wait staff each night might be beneficial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

If the waiter does ask about uneaten food and asks if they can get them something else a simple " no thank you, everything was good" should suffice. 

I think John’s point was that it is not. 

• Thanks 1

Just got off GOS - choose My Time Dining and the staff will get you whatever you need. They waiters are outstanding and they will do anything they can for you.  Just make sure you get the My Time Dining. If Desmond is still there he was absolutely wonderful. Tell them what you need the first night and they will make sure it happens every night.

My first cruise after surgery I was about 6 months out and I did ok as far as portions. I did eat fairly slowly, so I was able to sample a bit of the appetizer and then eat my main course.  I only had one waiter make a comment and I just told him I had stomach surgery and her never said anything again. I was bad though about trying desserts and made the mistake of eating too much a few nights and ended up spending the rest of the night in bed 😞 I had no issues having a drink here or there or having a glass of wine with dinner. I'm now 3 years out and things are much easier but I find the MDR the easiest to work with as the portions are usually spot on for me. 

• Like 3

I had RNY in 2012. 

I only order what I will absolutely eat in that seating.

I will also tell them to omit the starches. 

I don't like wasting food; too many starving people in the world.

I've sailed multiple times on several different lines and I've never once had an issue. 

They just want you to be happy.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 2:55 PM, cruznwithmom said:

Just got off GOS - choose My Time Dining and the staff will get you whatever you need. They waiters are outstanding and they will do anything they can for you.  Just make sure you get the My Time Dining. If Desmond is still there he was absolutely wonderful. Tell them what you need the first night and they will make sure it happens every night.

This is ridiculous.  The staff in Traditional Seating in the MDR can take care of a passenger with specific dietary needs just as well as staff in MTD.  

Actually, having the same table with the same staff every single day (traditional seating) is going to be better, because your staff will get to know your needs and adapt their service accordingly.  While you sometimes get the same staff in MTD, it's not guaranteed.

Thanks for everyone's answers here.  I've  been stressing about this for a few months but was too nervous to post.  I sail in 3.5 weeks and am almost 14 months post op.  I'm in maintenance now (170lbs down) but am totally stressing about gaining weight while away.  I'm not a huge drinker luckily but I'm packing some mio and will just ask for vodka and water and put some mio in it if I want a drink.  My biggest worry is the bread at dinner.  I love bread.  At home it easy to stay away but I'm worried staring at a bread bowl every day will make me bonkers.  I also plan on getting the sugar free desserts.  Luckily refined sugar still really bothers me so I won't be tempted to overdue it as I know how much it sucks afterwards.  I've only "dumped" a handful of times because luckily my stomach very loudly gives me all the warning signs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

My biggest worry is the bread at dinner.  I love bread.  At home it easy to stay away but I'm worried staring at a bread bowl every day will make me bonkers.

Just let your wait staff know not to bring the bread out and they will be happy to accommodate you. That's what I did after my cruise after having the sleeve done.

Also when ordering if there is something that comes with the meal that you would rather not have on your plate just let them know to leave that particular item off. One night they were serving roasted turkey (which I love and since I had my surgery a couple of weeks prior to Thanksgiving and was not able to have any) I asked if they could leave off the mashed potatoes and stuffing and let me have a double helping of turkey no problem and they were happy to make me happy.

Enjoy your cruise. 😊👍

Edited by SciFiGuy1960
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Just let your wait staff know not to bring the bread out and they will be happy to accommodate you. That's what I did after my cruise after having the sleeve done.

Also when ordering if there is something that comes with the meal that you would rather not have on your plate just let them know to leave that particular item off. One night they were serving roasted turkey (which I love and since I had my surgery a couple of weeks prior to Thanksgiving and was not able to have any) I asked if they could leave off the mashed potatoes and stuffing and let me have a double helping of turkey no problem and they were happy to make me happy.

Enjoy your cruise. 😊👍

I wish, but the other 12 people I am traveling with would be upset to not have the bread LOL.  I'll have to have some self control and just have half a bun every other night and those days stay away from bread earlier in the day.  At least that's the plan LOL

• Like 1