Any bariatric cruisers out there?

in my case, I am not supposed to eat and drink at the same time. In restaurants it's a thing where the waitress asks why and then it becomes embarrassing to tell them why. Never had that on a cruise.

Eat the quantity you feel comfortable with and just leave the rest. 

Take your time and moderate what you consume at Chef's Table if you choose that dining option. The portions are small, the dining experience lasts a couple of hours but it's not that bad.

• Like 1

I am 7 years post sleeve.  Sailing on Anthem in 11 days for the 2nd time.  I usually say I have a tiny stomach due to surgery and request small portions.  I also know when my last bite is, my body still tells me to stop.  I've not had a problem anywhere, cruise included.  You'll do fine.

• Like 1

I am 13 years sleeved & have maintained a 170Ib loss. My advice:

It will be easy to make bad food choices, but it is also easier to make good choices too! The beauty of the cruise is you will have so many opportunities to choose to eat *exactly* the food you want (and the portion you need). I never buy the variety of fresh fruit and vegs that I am offered on ship. In the buffet you can grab just one boiled egg or just a yogurt with fruit. Or at lunch just have half a sandwich or a salad with only the veggies you like! Now, they also will have other things that aren't as good for you but that is all up to you! 

In the MDR I usually order what I want and eat the amount I want. To me it is never worth it to overeat, I get too sick and hate the feeling. My opinion on the 'waste' is that the ship has already bought (and usually already plated) the food. If I eat all of it or none of it, the food used is basically the same. It has already been harvested and cooked so I am at peace with eating a few bites and leaving it at that. Yes, it will be thrown out, but if I don't eat some it probably would be also. I also don't feel any pressure to "get what I paid for". Pre-op I would pay what I would pay for a meal to experience and enjoy to satisfaction, same now, I just eat physically less but the value hasn't changed because I consume less of the meal. 

Tips:

I have asked for appetizers instead of mains

I have asked for sides only with soup as my main course

I have skipped dessert often and then 6 hrs later found many of the same MDR desserts at the late night buffet

If someone comments on my food and I don't want to discuss it, I don't. I just smile, usually they get the hint.

If you have a set dinner time, be mindful when eating lunch. I like my time better just because I might have had a full day and don't get to eat lunch till 3pm, and then dinner at 6pm is not enjoyable.

Final thoughts: enjoy your cruise, the first time back on ship will be a learning experience. Find out what works for YOU. 

Edited by aotmc
  • Like 1

While I have a different reason for asking for no starchy sides, I have found that it was fairly easy to get protein plus vegetable side (asparagus and broccoli) and to ask for sauces on the side.

MyTimeDining has worked best for us, we ask to be assigned the same wait team.

Enjoy your cruises!

Edited by dreadpirate3
  • Like 1

Last Cruise we ate almost all of our meals in the Windjammer. Feb 18 Vision of the Seas. THey had a pretty good variety of foods to choose from. Took small portions of many things to try. Worked out great. Staff never fussed over food left on the plates. 

• Like 1

Another quick tip as far as keeping up your water intake. Don't be afraid to bring your Yeti or Rtic tumblers along with you. 

Also not available everywhere you'll have to look to find where they serve it on your specific ship but they should have PowerAid Zero for purchase. For those on Liberty of the Seas it's available at Ben & Jerry's.  

• Like 1

My husband is 2 yrs post sleeve.  On our recent b2b, we went to Sams in Ft. Lauderdale and picked up three cases of Premier Protein shakes.  He drinks 2-3 of these everyday in his normal life.  It worked out well on the cruise. He would start his day with fresh fruit and a shake, and a shake mid-afternoon, and usually fish for dinner. He really enjoyed all the fresh fruit.  He can't eat chicken at all as it gets "stuck."   He did very well on this cruise and did not gain anything.  Good luck, you will do great!

• Like 1

I would like to thank all for their posts on this subject. So many wonderful tips. I am 8.5 yrs post-op Lapband.  I must admit, some meals are easy, some not.  When I eat out at home and know what I can and can't do. I can relate to a lot of the issues other people posted. Looking at a bread baskets makes my chest hurt (bread gets stuck), but wraps are not that much of a problem.  Chicken can get stuck, so I opt for pork or a hamburger (no bun).  I like the post about "sauces on the side" as I find they help make the food go down easier.  I like a glass of wine with dinner and I find sipping doesn't cause any problems.  One tip I would like to add is get up and "go to the bathroom". I find that walking helps the "first bites" go down. I guess its gravity.  I find that I enjoy food more now than pre-surgery. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

This is ridiculous.  The staff in Traditional Seating in the MDR can take care of a passenger with specific dietary needs just as well as staff in MTD.  

Actually, having the same table with the same staff every single day (traditional seating) is going to be better, because your staff will get to know your needs and adapt their service accordingly.  While you sometimes get the same staff in MTD, it's not guaranteed.

Obviously you have not tried my time dining on the GOS. You get the same waiter every night on GOS, it is a smaller ship. But they will serve you on your schedule and you can take as much or little time to eat as you need, and they will customize whatever you need.

• Like 2

So... I’m let me see, 8 years out from the sleeve, and have had many cruises since then.

in the MDR, and specialty restaurants, I never go into a long, personal explanation. I just say- I love food, but I don’t eat much. And, when they ask me at the end of the meal- Did you not like it?  I just say- oh yes!  It was great!  I just don’t eat much!

twice in the MDR, midway through, ive had the head waiter come over, all concerned that I don’t like the food, and I just say “It was great, I just don’t eat much”.

i am also weird, and often just order 2 apps and maybe a dessert.  My new way of life is “eat what I really want, don’t just eat cuz it’s free”.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JBoshears said:

My husband is 2 yrs post sleeve.  On our recent b2b, we went to Sams in Ft. Lauderdale and picked up three cases of Premier Protein shakes.  He drinks 2-3 of these everyday in his normal life.  It worked out well on the cruise. He would start his day with fresh fruit and a shake, and a shake mid-afternoon, and usually fish for dinner. He really enjoyed all the fresh fruit.  He can't eat chicken at all as it gets "stuck."   He did very well on this cruise and did not gain anything.  Good luck, you will do great!

You’re hubby is lucky that he can feel full on the sleeve, with a shake!  I’m 8 years out (and below goal), and I only feel full (or, actually satisfied... I try to stop eating before “full”) when I eat protein from stuff like eggs or meat.  Jealous!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBoshears said:

I think Royal can provide protein shakes through special needs. No experience,  but I thought I read that here

• Like 1

Yes!! I had gastric bypass surgery on Christmas Eve. I’m on the Symphony 11/16/19! I’m traveling with my husband, my 17 year old and his best friend. So I’m sure they will finish what I can’t. I just plan on eating healthier options and I’ll eat what I can. I’m pretty tolerant of all foods I just eat very small amounts. I think all bets are off for the deluxe beverage package for me though.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cruznwithmom said:

Obviously you have not tried my time dining on the GOS. You get the same waiter every night on GOS, it is a smaller ship. But they will serve you on your schedule and you can take as much or little time to eat as you need, and they will customize whatever you need.

The staff in the MDR will do the same thing.  You don't need to have MTD to get that kind of service.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, South Shore 41 said:

I would like to thank all for their posts on this subject. So many wonderful tips. I am 8.5 yrs post-op Lapband.  I must admit, some meals are easy, some not.  When I eat out at home and know what I can and can't do. I can relate to a lot of the issues other people posted. Looking at a bread baskets makes my chest hurt (bread gets stuck), but wraps are not that much of a problem.  Chicken can get stuck, so I opt for pork or a hamburger (no bun).  I like the post about "sauces on the side" as I find they help make the food go down easier.  I like a glass of wine with dinner and I find sipping doesn't cause any problems.  One tip I would like to add is get up and "go to the bathroom". I find that walking helps the "first bites" go down. I guess its gravity.  I find that I enjoy food more now than pre-surgery. 

This is really a great topic for cruisers like us. Mine was the complete Roux En Y procedure, but the lap band is equally an issue for us all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, reganr622 said:

Yes!! I had gastric bypass surgery on Christmas Eve. I’m on the Symphony 11/16/19! I’m traveling with my husband, my 17 year old and his best friend. So I’m sure they will finish what I can’t. I just plan on eating healthier options and I’ll eat what I can. I’m pretty tolerant of all foods I just eat very small amounts. I think all bets are off for the deluxe beverage package for me though.

i was told NEVER to drink beer again. But I do while playing out music with my band. Hadn't had any issues yet. Far as the drink package goes though, we never do it because of the ship's itinerary, whenever in port we're gone all day and sometimes most into the night so it becomes a thing where we miss some days for the value of the drink package. Smooth cruising and congrats on your successful surgery and life change.

• Like 2

I did My Time Dining, requested the same serving team every night and had no problems with the request. Both my husband and myself are post-op. I'm 6 years post op and my husband was just 3 months post-op on our cruise in March. The pacing of the dining room works better than the buffet, in my experience. It gives you time to relax and eat and not feel rushed, which often leads to over eating. I have done a salad and an app as my meal--I liked to take the crab cakes and put it on the caesar salad or the shrimp cocktail and ceasar. Same as said above about the cheese plate. They also were great about covering the dessert so I could take it to my room to enjoy later in the evening. 

4 hours ago, johnjen said:

i was told NEVER to drink beer again. But I do while playing out music with my band. Hadn't had any issues yet. Far as the drink package goes though, we never do it because of the ship's itinerary, whenever in port we're gone all day and sometimes most into the night so it becomes a thing where we miss some days for the value of the drink package. Smooth cruising and congrats on your successful surgery and life change.

Soda and sparkling wine as well.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:15 PM, CruisingUnicorn said:

I had RNY in 2012. 

I only order what I will absolutely eat in that seating.

I will also tell them to omit the starches. 

I don't like wasting food; too many starving people in the world.

I've sailed multiple times on several different lines and I've never once had an issue. 

They just want you to be happy.

So if a cruise line goes through less food they send the extra to starving people all over the world ?

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2019 at 3:15 PM, CruisingUnicorn said:

I had RNY in 2012. 

I only order what I will absolutely eat in that seating.

I will also tell them to omit the starches. 

I don't like wasting food; too many starving people in the world.

I've sailed multiple times on several different lines and I've never once had an issue. 

They just want you to be happy.

So if a cruise line goes through less food they send the extra to starving people all over the world ?

31 minutes ago, mark290 said:

Sure if you want to think that.

I think anyone with a brain would infer that I just don't like wasting food, but per the usual Cruise Critic, there's always a thorn amongst the roses.

🙄🙄

P.S. - It's people like you that ruin Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruisingUnicorn said:

Sure if you want to think that.

I think anyone with a brain would infer that I just don't like wasting food, but per the usual Cruise Critic, there's always a thorn amongst the roses.

🙄🙄

P.S. - It's people like you that ruin Cruise Critic.

I can take being called brainless but saying I am helping to ruin Cruise Critic, that hurts.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2019 at 9:25 AM, johnjen said:

Thank you!! It’s been a rough road that’s for sure but getting so much better now! I’ve tried beer but so far it doesn’t agree with me, I used to drink it like water!! 😫 Possibly by the time I cruise I’ll be able to have a beer or two. 

I really love the idea of the cheese plate, I’ll definitely be putting that tip to good use!