Radiance Cruise Around New Zealand

I’m currently on the Radiance as we make our way back to Sydney following a planned port intensive itinerary around New Zealand. Alas, it wasn’t to be due to major storms in the South Island. Our 12 night itinerary now includes five sea days when all is said and done.

If anyone has questions about the Radiance experience, I’ll be happy to try to answer.  One can only attend so many movies on sea days when it’s rainy, windy and chilly outside. Some passengers are a bit grumpy but all decisions by the captain were made for safety first.  I completely agree with him but missing the South Island Fjordlands was a major disappointment as I flew 17 hours nonstop from the US to Sydney to cruise this ship and this itinerary.  Kinda like going to Alaska and not seeing the glaciers.

Shout out all!

1 hour ago, JanieKid82 said:

I’m currently on the Radiance as we make our way back to Sydney following a planned port intensive itinerary around New Zealand. Alas, it wasn’t to be due to major storms in the South Island. Our 12 night itinerary now includes five sea days when all is said and done.

If anyone has questions about the Radiance experience, I’ll be happy to try to answer.  One can only attend so many movies on sea days when it’s rainy, windy and chilly outside. Some passengers are a bit grumpy but all decisions by the captain were made for safety first.  I completely agree with him but missing the South Island Fjordlands was a major disappointment as I flew 17 hours nonstop from the US to Sydney to cruise this ship and this itinerary.  Kinda like going to Alaska and not seeing the glaciers.

Shout out all!

I know the feeling.  I have spent 30 + hours of air travel time, plus 4 days over some of the roughest waters in the world to only land on about half of the potential landing sites.  If you have ever been on a expedition,  those itineraries are so vague it’s comical and everything is ALWAYS weather dependent.  It’s pretty much a running joke.  Sadly those are the breaks when doing more exotic destinations.

how was your Tasman crossing? Been many years since I have done it, but I remember it was probably in my top ten roughest times on an ocean. 

Debating doing it again this fall on the Nov 13 Ovation ten night.  Which ports did you stop at and what did you do?

27 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

Is bad weather typical this time of year?  We are thinking of adding this cruise to a TP for a B2B in April 2021.

It certainly can be.

We did our Sydney/new Zealand cruise in December based on the homework ahead of time about weather in the region.

We had one day of rain/wind (at sea), and that was it over a 2-week span. April weather in that area is similar to September in the U.S....so depending upon what part of the U.S...the weather becomes more unpredictable and the opportunity for adverse conditions increase.

Sorry to hear the OP had some missed chances to enjoy their cruise. Ours was amazing a few months ago.

We are booked on Radiance in may 2020 hawaii to vancouver so going to have 5 sea days. how does she handle the rough seas? Solarium is covered/indoors so pretty good to hang out when weather bad? I think the ship has I-MAX style theatre, do they switch up the movies? is it too crowded to bother with the theatre?

Thanks, not often I see much about radiance, glad to be able to ask some questions!

2 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

Is bad weather typical this time of year?  We are thinking of adding this cruise to a TP for a B2B in April 2021.

2 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

We did NZ in March of 2014 and had beautiful weather, including the Fjords

We did it in March 2016 on the Radiance and also had great weather, in fact that Captain said our sail in the fjords was one of the best days he'd ever known there. We had rain in Akaroa which meant our dolphin watching tour was cancelled (although we were able to tender to town). The seas weren't rough at all - even the Tasman Strait.

Edited by Bobal

1 hour ago, oddly excitered said:

We are booked on Radiance in may 2020 hawaii to vancouver so going to have 5 sea days. how does she handle the rough seas? Solarium is covered/indoors so pretty good to hang out when weather bad? I think the ship has I-MAX style theatre, do they switch up the movies? is it too crowded to bother with the theatre?

Thanks, not often I see much about radiance, glad to be able to ask some questions!

Been on the Vancouver to Hawaii run four times - never a weather problem.  Maybe one day a little rough .

1 hour ago, squadron said:

Been on the Vancouver to Hawaii run four times - never a weather problem.  Maybe one day a little rough .

That route is in september isn't it? We are doing May. Whatever the weather I am interested in the capabilities of the ship, gonna be a great trip for us!

All,

The Radiance is very seaworthy.  She is small by new ship standards but built to be an ocean liner not a floating theme park.

tasman Sea just not cooperating on the second half of this itinerary.  First four days upon leaving Sydney were picture perfect in terms of seas and skies. 

It’s sunny right now but windy and rough seas. 

Regarding theaters...currently there is a 55 seat regular theater that shows movies and an outdoor big screen in the pool area. No IMAX theater.  they are now also showing movies in the Aurera Theater because we have a lot of seniors onboard who do not want to be walking the ship in these seas.  the movies are first run and the picture and sound are good in the main theater.  But it is NOT IMAX. from what I’ve heard an upgrade refurbishment is scheduled sometime in 2020 and perhaps IMAX will be added then.

The live music selections and the entertainment staff have saved this cruise for me.  The One and One five piece band can play anything...very very well. Ron Kingston in the Quill and compass can do justice to both US and Aussie favorites and gets the Pub crowd very engaged with singalong and a small dance area. Trivia several times a day, special dance parties almost every night where ladies can dance alone or with other women and no one cares, and good natured dance contests that  even the seniors enjoy participating in and watching with an after dinner or late night cocktail.

There are very few children on this cruise and they have been monitored and supervised by their families when in the public areas.  The drinking age on this cruise is 18 years old, as it originated n Sydney and only went to New Zealand which has the lower drinking age.  Everyone has been well behaved in that regard.

I bought the deluxe beverage package and Ive enjoyed that convenience.  I’ve tried several new cocktails because I had the package.  Angela in the Champagne Bar makes a pre dinner espresso martini that I’ll miss when the cruise is over.  Gives me a second wind for the evening to come.

i will have another sea day to answer specific quesrtions that require a “look see” while on board.  we return to Sydney the morning of April 4 Australia time.

• Thanks 1