5 Sea Days in a row and this Skeptic survived!

land lover

Last month did something I thought I would never do....a cruise with 4 and then 5 sea Days in a row. Am a Port Person, have professed it several times on these boards. Felt sea days wasted time that could be spent ashore.

Just like I was an Aft'r, no cabin but on the stern.

But one needs to shake it up once in awhile..so for the last couple of years, cabins all around the ship for us....

and cruises with 2 sea days in a row, then 3.......but NO more than 3, that was my limit!

And last month I did something I thought I would never do book..... a 15 day Hawaiian cruise out of San Pedro.

We live in So CA so it's a 5 hour flight to Hawaii so why on earth would I take a cruise, with 9 sea days?  This was a last minute booking so I didn't have to think about the sea days, we just went.

And now I get it.....Sea days can be relaxing ...finally I SEA the light......

So this old SEA dog can learn new tricks....

But still on the fence about doing  a TA......😉

Happy Cruising....

L:classic_biggrin:ri

Edited by land lover
erroe
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

yes, port intensive itineraries can zap the energy out of me.  These days having been there done that I'm more inclined to relax on board and let someone else do the driving. Congratulations L😁ri .

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

I'm happy that, when you tried something different (we call them "opposite experiences"), it worked out so well for you!  You never know until you try.

We have found that our ability to handle (and even maybe enjoy) that many sea days in a row depends on two things:  the weather (and the sea conditions) and how tired we are when we start the first day at sea.  We've had five, and even four days in a row that were unbearable because we spent most of our time sitting or laying in one place because the sea was so rough. And we've had five days in a row that were most enjoyable (coincidentally between the west coast and Hawaii) because it was sunny and calm.

Bottom line... we vacillate between which we prefer...an overnight flight in coach or a lot of sea days in a row, mostly depending on how recently our last overnight flight in coach took place.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Greg4502 said:

If you can do the sea days to Hawaii, you can do the TA. Been there, done that. Next year, I will be doing the Hawaii/Tahiti RT from San Pedro. It has 8 sea days returning to San Pedro.

Recently, looked at that cruise as it seemed on this 15 day many cruisers were not fliers and had taken that cruise as well as more than one 15 day.

8 days...I really don't think so..:classic_ohmy:but then again......

21 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I'm happy that, when you tried something different (we call them "opposite experiences"), it worked out so well for you!  You never know until you try.

We have found that our ability to handle (and even maybe enjoy) that many sea days in a row depends on two things:  the weather (and the sea conditions) and how tired we are when we start the first day at sea.  We've had five, and even four days in a row that were unbearable because we spent most of our time sitting or laying in one place because the sea was so rough. And we've had five days in a row that were most enjoyable (coincidentally between the west coast and Hawaii) because it was sunny and calm.

Bottom line... we vacillate between which we prefer...an overnight flight in coach or a lot of sea days in a row, mostly depending on how recently our last overnight flight in coach took place.

I agree with you and was concerned about the sea conditions..because on 3 recent small ship excursions ....I have become sea sick...so this trip I did come prepared with bands and meds. The first night was very rough (I wore my bands) and the seas continued thru the morning. Of course in the morning where is breakfast served? In Bonacelli's and we are seated at a window table in the far back...guess who got sick....no breakfast for me... 

We had much better weather than I expected on this Hawaiian voyage, as the 5 days returning were relatively calm. Also found  the Hawaiian music and crew dressed in Hawaiian shirts a nice change.

The last situation I want to experience is what you described....we have been in rough seas many times.  Once when carpet had to be replaced in balcony cabins, felt and looked like we were in a washing machine from MDR windows.

I was really surprised how much I liked the sea days..one reason  had time to get organized....that seldom happens on port intensive cruises. Now if I can just learn to pack less on cruises leaving out of San Pedro.

Edited by land lover

We did the 28 day Hawaii & South Pacific cruise in 2017. Out of the 28 days there were 18 sea days - including the last 8 days in a row from Tahiti back to LA. We loved it. Of course I had the beverage package as a freebie... 😋 We find port-intensive cruises to be very draining. We did the 14 day Circle Caribbean in 2018 and the 8 port days left us very tired. Too many ports in a row.

• Like 2

I'm glad to read that you had a great cruise, LL.  To be honest, though, I would be surprised if you ever had a "bad" cruise.

A couple stories from the XBGuys.

• Our first Princess cruise in 2011 was the Los Angeles-Hawaii round tripper.  On the leg to Ensenada the seas on the second and third day were quite calm.  In fact, I am talking glassy smooth, here.  I have posted many times, here on Cruise Critic, that Mrs. XBGuy is the quintessential "foul weather" cruiser.  She was very disappointed that the sea was so calm.  I explained to her, "It's called the Pacific Ocean.  'Pacific' means 'peaceful.'"  [Apologies to cruisers who are susceptible to motion sickness.]
  • A few years ago we were on the San Francisco-Alaska cruise.  As we were about to depart the third port of three consecutive port days.  Mrs. XBGuy commented, "I'm so glad we are getting back to sea days, tomorrow.  These port days are tiring."

Our next cruise is the Los Angeles-Alaska round trip in three weeks.  The wine tote is ready to be filled.  😉

3 hours ago, c-boy said:

yes, port intensive itineraries can zap the energy out of me.  These days having been there done that I'm more inclined to relax on board and let someone else do the driving. Congratulations L😁ri .

On our 60 night 21 stop cruise, we dreaded back to back port days. They only happened 2 or 3 times, but we are with you, it can wear you out!

22 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

I'm not opposed to 5 sea days in a row, but I am opposed to 3/4 of my two week vacation floating in the middle of the Pacific when I could be exploring.  With unlimited vacation time then why not but not until then.

You must be like me before I retired, you go back to work after a vacation to recover for the next one!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

You must be like me before I retired, you go back to work after a vacation to recover for the next one!

In one port we were loaded in one of these and rode for over an hour to the tour site, I kid you not . I said four hail Mary's and two our Fathers while we drove on one lane roads with 300 foot drop off's.  Going back was worse as it was pouring rain and the driver had one wiper working.  Image result for 1956 MERCEDES CARGO TRUCK

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

We did the 28 day Hawaii & South Pacific cruise in 2017. Out of the 28 days there were 18 sea days - including the last 8 days in a row from Tahiti back to LA. We loved it. Of course I had the beverage package as a freebie... 😋 We find port-intensive cruises to be very draining. We did the 14 day Circle Caribbean in 2018 and the 8 port days left us very tired. Too many ports in a row.

That is the only thing that would enable me to stand 8 sea days as I begin to hate them on day 2 - get drunk on day 2 and stay barely conscious until day 7+. 

DON

I love sea days! The whole entire reason I like to cruise is to be on the ship. If I wanted a bunch of port days, I'd just fly to the port destination. 😉

I am leaving on this exact itinerary in 7 days. I was excited when you said there were 9 sea days- It's been awhile since I looked at the schedule. I had remembered wrong and was thinking we only had 3 sea days between Hawaii and Mexico. Woohoo- more days at sea!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, c-boy said:

We did a 12 night Caribbean last year with 6! ports in a row.  It was just too much, especially since we had been to all of them multiple times.  But, we were with people who had not been to any of those ports so we did tours most days, Except St. Maarten, which we have been to way too many times.

We love sea days, especially if weather is good.  Doing a Transatlantic (we've done several others) with seven in a row in a month.  Can't wait!

We’ve done the HI circle from San Pedro twice and absolutely love the large number of sea days, especially as we do this over Christmas and New Year. 

Our first cruise was when we still still lived in the UK and we did a Western Med cruise. That was vey port intensive with a different port every day. That was pretty tiring. The more we cruise, the more we look forward to the sea days. 😉

1 hour ago, workermom said:

Since you live in So Cal and now discovered you enjoy sea days - you should take a look at the round trip LA Alaska cruises!  

I am also out of LA and was SO BUMMED that this year, there were not many, but NEXT YEAR way more. We have to drive up to SF... but oh well, still have some sea days in there 😉 I read on another thread how sea days are such as waste and people would rather fly into Seattle to have fewer sea days. Not us, I would have loved the LA to Alaska... it just did not work with our schedules for a babysitter. 😉 

9 hours ago, c-boy said:

In one port we were loaded in one of these and rode for over an hour to the tour site, I kid you not . I said four hail Mary's and two our Fathers while we drove on one lane roads with 300 foot drop off's.  Going back was worse as it was pouring rain and the driver had one wiper working.  Image result for 1956 MERCEDES CARGO TRUCK

What excursion was this?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I'm glad to read that you had a great cruise, LL.  To be honest, though, I would be surprised if you ever had a "bad" cruise.

A couple stories from the XBGuys.

• Our first Princess cruise in 2011 was the Los Angeles-Hawaii round tripper.  On the leg to Ensenada the seas on the second and third day were quite calm.  In fact, I am talking glassy smooth, here.  I have posted many times, here on Cruise Critic, that Mrs. XBGuy is the quintessential "foul weather" cruiser.  She was very disappointed that the sea was so calm.  I explained to her, "It's called the Pacific Ocean.  'Pacific' means 'peaceful.'"  [Apologies to cruisers who are susceptible to motion sickness.]
  • A few years ago we were on the San Francisco-Alaska cruise.  As we were about to depart the third port of three consecutive port days.  Mrs. XBGuy commented, "I'm so glad we are getting back to sea days, tomorrow.  These port days are tiring."

Our next cruise is the Los Angeles-Alaska round trip in three weeks.  The wine tote is ready to be filled.  😉

Mrs. XB can have those rough sea days, I'll pass.

You and your wine😄 This Hawaii cruise they didn't seem to be interested in getting corkage fees before we sailed. I had 4 bottles in my carry, Wayne 2 an not a word was said. Also I had a bottle of bbq sauce  that could have been alcohol, but no questions. According to ship gossip others brought bottles of liquor with no confiscation.

What ship are u sailing to Alaska, does it have Share? Have you enjoyed the latest menu?

Edited by land lover
  • Like 1

For the record, I find port intensive itineraries exhilarating....but then I have done many land vacations with many hotel changes and flights on 2 & 3 week trips. Still my favorite mode of travel.

But was just was so surprised how much enjoyment I derived from the sea days. I truly get it now. Why so mANY OF YOU lOve them.

And I also understand how some of you want to pack in as many options as you can with limited time.

Thanks for the feedback regarding my new experience.

L😁ri

Edited by land lover

11 hours ago, land lover said:

Mrs. XB can have those rough sea days, I'll pass.

You and your wine😄 This Hawaii cruise they didn't seem to be interested in getting corkage fees before we sailed. I had 4 bottles in my carry, Wayne 2 an not a word was said.

Usually, at San Pedro, an agent grabs my tote as it comes out of the security scanner.  He checks it to see that it is wine and points me over to the alcohol table.  One time the guy actually carried it over.

Also I had a bottle of bbq sauce  that could have been alcohol, but no questions.

Peggy usually brings a bottle of her favorite ranch dressing,  In the late afternoons I may run up to the buffet and pick up a plate of raw vegetables from the salad bar.  We use the ranch dressing as a dip for our afternoon nosh with a glass (or two) of fermented grape juice.

According to ship gossip others brought bottles of liquor with no confiscation.

I'm sure it happens fairly often.

11 hours ago, land lover said:

What ship are u sailing to Alaska,

Ruby Princess

does it have Share?

Yes

Have you enjoyed the latest menu? 

Absolutely.  It's interesting that even as they have trimmed down the SHARE menu I have enjoyed every iteration.  They have removed some items that we have previously enjoyed, but every experience has been great.

We are also taking the same itinerary on the Royal Princess in September.  This will be our first cruise on a Royal class ship.  Our last four cruises have been on either the Ruby Princess or the Emerald Princess.  So we have had multiple dinners at SHARE in the last year and a half.  As much as we enjoy SHARE, I am looking forward to being on a ship with Sabatini's.  (I've been saving up a bottle of Barolo.)  Also, I am looking forward to Alfredo's.  We've enjoyed Alfredo's on the Grand Princess, but it will be nice to check out the more complete menu that they offer on the Royal Princess.