Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m not sure this drydock even exists. The pictures I have seen including this one are animated (drydock)/photoshopped. 

I believe the dry dock ship already exists, though it may not be in the Bahamas right now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m not sure this drydock even exists. The pictures I have seen including this one are animated (drydock)/photoshopped. 

BOKA Vanguard should be in Freeport by now or soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

This is the Boka Vanguard, a heavy lift ship, that routinely lifts things much larger and heavier than Vista.  I have to chuckle over Carnival's announcement of this being a "first of its kind" operation, when heavy lift ships have been around for decades, having carried offshore oil rigs and platforms, and damaged vessels like the USS Cole and USS Fitzgerald.  This is essentially a self-propelled floating drydock, just as if you added propulsion to any of the floating drydocks already at Grand Bahamas Shipyard.  Boka Vanguard (formerly Dockwise Vanguard), which was considered at one time for moving the Concordia from Giglio to the scrapyard, is currently on its way to the Bahamas, I believe estimating arrival later today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

This is the Boka Vanguard, a heavy lift ship, that routinely lifts things much larger and heavier than Vista.  I have to chuckle over Carnival's announcement of this being a "first of its kind" operation, when heavy lift ships have been around for decades, having carried offshore oil rigs and platforms, and damaged vessels like the USS Cole and USS Fitzgerald.  This is essentially a self-propelled floating drydock, just as if you added propulsion to any of the floating drydocks already at Grand Bahamas Shipyard.  Boka Vanguard (formerly Dockwise Vanguard), which was considered at one time for moving the Concordia from Giglio to the scrapyard, is currently on its way to the Bahamas, I believe estimating arrival later today.

Does the Vanguard have the ability to lift Oasis class ships?

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Does the Vanguard have the ability to lift Oasis class ships?

Marinetraffic shows Vanguard about 10 miles from Freeport.

Vanguard's deadweight (the amount of weight she can lift) is 110,000 tons, and I've only seen estimates of Oasis' displacement at 100,000 tons, so it might be tight.  Given the open bow, stern, and the extreme beam of Vanguard, they could easily fit Oasis in there, they routinely have cargo overhanging, but it would be the weight that would be close.

Here is an article about heavy lift ships, with photos of loads:

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/05/heavy-lift-ships-and-their-impossibly.html

Now that I think on it, there may be an additional problem with Oasis, that she is so long, the forward part would be overhanging a lot, and without support this could bend the ship.  Even centered on Vanguard, she would extend about 40 meters out each end, and I'm just not sure that would be good for the hull.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Well, at least it’s real. Just all the pictures we see posted here are not. Maybe we’ll get some real photos. 

That's because they've never lifted a cruise ship before.  See the article I posted for photos of various types of loads.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If it weren't for the length and weight issues I mention, the Vanguard is no different from any other floating drydock.

So I suppose that they only lift ships in areas of calm water.  I'm thinking that if the lifted ship starts to tip over in rolling seas, that could be a problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If it weren't for the length and weight issues I mention, the Vanguard is no different from any other floating drydock.

Which seem to be the same issues as the drydock that failed with Oasis.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

So I suppose that they only lift ships in areas of calm water.  I'm thinking that if the lifted ship starts to tip over in rolling seas, that could be a problem.

Actually, they transport those oil rigs, platforms, and container cranes all across the oceans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, they transport those oil rigs, platforms, and container cranes all across the oceans.

Wow.  I was thinking that cruise ships seem so top heavy that it would be dangerous. 

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Wow.  I was thinking that cruise ships seem so top heavy that it would be dangerous. 

The main deck of some of those oil rigs are 360' above the keel, much taller than a cruise ship.  And don't get me started on the container cranes, though those are typically welded down.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The main deck of some of those oil rigs are 360' above the keel, much taller than a cruise ship.  And don't get me started on the container cranes, though those are typically welded down.

Very interesting, thanks Chief.

• Like 1

in computer programming there is something called recursion, where a subprogram calls itself in a sort of nesting operation.

here VANGARD a sort of self propelled floating dry dock is used to move a 'regular' floating drydock . . .

dockwise vanguard

ujuvdok_2-800x600.jpg

.... a floating dock weighing 11,000 tons was loaded onto the deck of the semi-submersible heavy lift ship Dockwise Vanguard for transport to Klaipeda, Lithuania.

Dockwise Vanguard is the world’s most capable heavy-lift vessel with a deadweight of 117,000 tonnes. It is built with an open deck that allows it transport all sorts of large structures such as floating offshore oil and gas platforms.

ujuvdok_3-800x600.jpg

for the question about the effect of the seas on the dry dock work proress ... the press release about the Carnival dry docking says the VISTA will be 'loaded' off shore, and then the VANGUARD will 'move into protected waters' IOW into the ship yard where the necessary shore facilities are located: machine shops etc.  IF there were sufficient DEPTH of water at open space in the shipyard, it could all be done 'inside'   After all the  existing (broken) floating dock is 'sunk' in exactly the same way.  But VANGUARD may have a yet deeper draft to support its sailing capability.

• Like 1