Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Thanks for all postings, very interesting to more then a few of us...

No worries.  Currently pushing our way up the Mississippi to St. James to pick up a mere 46k tons of crude, bound for Corpus Christi.  Long day, started at 0600, will finish around midnight.

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No worries.  Currently pushing our way up the Mississippi to St. James to pick up a mere 46k tons of crude, bound for Corpus Christi.  Long day, started at 0600, will finish around midnight.

Just looked at the Mississippi on Marine Traffic.  Looks very busy.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Just looked at the Mississippi on Marine Traffic.  Looks very busy.

Yes, lots of traffic got backed up from Barry.  We are required to have two tugs pushing us to the dock all during cargo operations when the river is running this hard, and we weren't sure there were enough tugs for ours to be lined up.  Could have meant a couple of hours of delays, but all good now.  Then again, the river is always busy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

Looks like the ship is listing a bit.  Must be tough getting the cargo exactly centered/balanced.  

I was noticing the same thing..

The Vista didn't even look "real", with that green lower hull and all...

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Looks like the ship is listing a bit.  Must be tough getting the cargo exactly centered/balanced.  

Can't see the images, but during the lifting process, they will generally have the Vanguard down by the stern about a degree, and with a slight list to one side, so that as the huge open deck area of the Vanguard comes out of the water, the deck clears the running water progressively and to one direction, to prevent the free surface from creating unpredictable reactions.  Once the deck is clear, they will trim the ship to be almost perfectly level.  After that, the deck officers on the Vanguard need to watch the trim constantly, and ballast accordingly as weights are lifted on and off (propeller, man-lift bucket trucks, forklifts, etc) as these will affect the trim.

If they are pressure washing the hull under the waterline, they may have Vanguard listed slightly to direct the "runoff" of the contaminated water to a boom enclosure for treatment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Makes sense Chief.  Looks like it's listing to starboard.  The deck is out of the water on the port side but still submerged on the starboard side.  Also out of the water forward and submerged aft.  I was assuming that they could correct with ballast but I don't know enough about that ship (or any ship).  The probably have not trimmed the ship yet in the video.

• 2 months later...

The popular Grand Bahama Shipyard which is located just across from the cruise port in Freeport has dry-docked its first vessel sing Hurricane Dorian hit in early September.

Taipei Trader first docked at the yard on August 25 for a routine program including propulsion and thruster maintenance, and preparation of the hull for protective coating application. On August 30, in accordance with the shipyard’s hurricane procedures, the vessel had to be undocked and depart the shipyard due to the projected path of Hurricane Dorian.

David Skentelbery, CEO of Grand Bahama Shipyard, said:

“We are grateful to our dedicated team members at Grand Bahama Shipyard, whose hard work has made it possible for us to quickly resume dry-dock operations and continue to serve our important maritime clients.”

“This dry-dock is another important recovery milestone for the shipyard and the community, which will continue to see positive economic activity from the shipyard’s ongoing operations and resultant benefit to the island.”

Following the return and docking of Taipei Trader, Grand Bahama Shipyard resumed maintenance work and repairs on the ship, which are expected to be completed in October. Earlier this month, the shipyard also announced the return of the 57,062-ton Agathonissos owned by Greece-based Eletson, which is currently at the pier completing repair work started prior to the storm.

Planning remains on track for the next planned cruise ship dry-dock at the shipyard, Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Ecstasy, on October 5.

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Do we know if any of this work is occurring at the dry dock damaged in the Oasis accident?

I believe the only Freeport dock that could take a cruise ship of the size of Ecstasy was the one that was damaged.

3 hours ago, hallux said:

The dock might fit the length but might not have the capability to lift the weight.

Dock 3 is rated to lift ships of 50,000 tons displacement.  RCI doesn't publish displacements, but that probably means it can support Radiance class and smaller.  The image shows what I think is a Coral class ship, which is similar in size to Radiance class vessels.

I would assume they are going to replace #2, most likely with one with a bigger capacity.  Do they build them onsite, or float a new one in.  Also I see a lot of posts on CC blaming the crane. I thought it was a structural collapse of the drydock that cause the crane to fall. 

9 minutes ago, bilyclub said:

I would assume they are going to replace #2, most likely with one with a bigger capacity.  Do they build them onsite, or float a new one in.  Also I see a lot of posts on CC blaming the crane. I thought it was a structural collapse of the drydock that cause the crane to fall. 

In all likelihood they will buy one secondhand and float it in.

2 hours ago, bilyclub said:

Correct, the dock failure caused the crane to fall on the ship.

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

In all likelihood they will buy one secondhand and float it in.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I didn't think there were very many dry docks capable of handling an Oasis class ships so I'm not sure where they would find a a very large used dry dock for sale.

You are correct.  There are about 9 floating docks in the world that could accommodate an Oasis class ship, and these are all in China and South Korea which have booming ship repair business, or one each in Cadiz and Rotterdam, both of which are busy.

I would venture a guess that the Southeast Asian shipyards are in a better financial position to build new docks than GBSY, which could make offers to take one of the older docks from those other shipyards as new ones come online.

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

I would venture a guess that the Southeast Asian shipyards are in a better financial position to build new docks than GBSY, which could make offers to take one of the older docks from those other shipyards as new ones come online.

I'm not sure that any floating docks have been built in the last 20 years or so, they tend to be costly to construct and they take up a graving dock slot while under construction.