Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

2 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Any news of the damaged floating drydock in Freeport? Repair time?

There is an unconfirmed rumor that Allure may try to get her propulsion issue worked on at GBSY in the September time frame based on the estimated return to service of the damaged dry dock.  

• Like 1

Wonderful to see her readying to ‘pick up the chicks’ and finally set off to Barcelona and warm regards to those of you sailing on the 5th. 

We were sad to lose our TA on her but are keeping our ‘fingers crossed’ Royal will schedule a Westbound TA later in the year perhaps to recoup a small bit of revenue.

Apart from looking daily at RCCL’s ‘Ocean Voyages’ option on their destination tab, is there another way I can find out if they announce a TA this year?

Thank you - Michael

1 hour ago, twangster said:

There is an unconfirmed rumor that Allure may try to get her propulsion issue worked on at GBSY in the September time frame based on the estimated return to service of the damaged dry dock.  

Not by this thread...Allure just changed a bunch of itineraries including dates past Sept.

Edited by bajathree

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I am on the October 6 Allure and earlier today received a notice that because of the propulsion problems San Juan is now being substituted for St. Thomas.  Although I wish that Allure rumor was true, it does not appear to be the case, at least as it related to the October 6 cruise.

7 hours ago, Pratique said:

It is simply amazing the amount of work these dockyards can complete in such a short time frame. Repairs are sometimes more work than if it was new work. Cadiz is obviously a professional operation. From the looks of things, they have the right tools and equipment to do things properly. 

It's still sitting there just outside the drydock. I wouldn't think it would take that long to reload the lifeboats would it? 

From today. It looks like the destroyed screen is good as new. 

1738543769_ScreenShot2019-05-02at4_25_52PM.png.a9f2adc5cf3c8e83c884dd872674a7d5.png

2 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I am on the October 6 Allure and earlier today received a notice that because of the propulsion problems San Juan is now being substituted for St. Thomas.  Although I wish that Allure rumor was true, it does not appear to be the case, at least as it related to the October 6 cruise.

Just hope it's not true and they decide to do it the week of October 6th :-X

10 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

It's still sitting there just outside the drydock. I wouldn't think it would take that long to reload the lifeboats would it?

She was last seen headed out to sea, now out of AIS range.

O14.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, above sea level cruiser said:

It is simply amazing the amount of work these dockyards can complete in such a short time frame. Repairs are sometimes more work than if it was new work. Cadiz is obviously a professional operation. From the looks of things, they have the right tools and equipment to do things properly. 

European quality work! 👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, twangster said:

I say they get the crane up.... and have another unscheduled TA to get it fixed properly.... RCI management... 👍🙄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

European quality work! 👍

Actually service & repair work comes down to having the right dry dock equipment/facilities...as well as trained personnel. Royal has actually cited that multiple times...not just in this case. 

2 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Actually service & repair work comes down to having the right dry dock equipment/facilities...as well as trained personnel. Royal has actually cited that multiple times...not just in this case. 

So why didn't they do it right the first time? 🤔 😁🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

So why didn't they do it right the first time? 🤔 😁🤣

It's been repeated posted that the dry dock facilities in the Bahamas are basically adequate for the mega ships...but not fully equipped to handle them the same as a few other ports (like Cadiz). Things like cranes in particular are optimum and stationary in Cadiz (for example), in contrast to the kind that led to the servicing accident event for Oasis.

1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It's been repeated posted that the dry dock facilities in the Bahamas are basically adequate for the mega ships...but not fully equipped to handle them the same as a few other ports (like Cadiz). Things like cranes in particular are optimum and stationary in Cadiz (for example), in contrast to the kind that led to the servicing accident event for Oasis.

So RCI management was playing around in the Bahamas... 👍🙄😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

So RCI management was playing around in the Bahamas... 👍🙄😁

Nope. It's a less costly dry dock alternative that doesn't require re-positioning.  It also has been done successfully numerous times on Oasis and other ships at the Bahamas facility. This was an anomaly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stalek said:

Will Oasis go on the planned drydock in september? 

Is that when it's scheduled to be AMP'd up?

I would think so, no reason not to. It's already on the schedule. Otherwise it might be a few more years as they already have several other ships scheduled for AMPing into 2021 (I think)

8 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

European quality work! 👍

8 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I say they get the crane up.... and have another unscheduled TA to get it fixed properly.... RCI management... 👍🙄

5 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

While I am an admirer of European shipyards in general, I have had good and bad experiences in European shipyards, and have had good work done in Caribbean and US shipyards as well.

Not sure what you keep harping on the crane about.  The crane did not cause the problem, the crane collapsed because the drydock sank.

• Like 1