Ncl escape skips private island again!

oliver35

My biggest fear is this happening on our cruise next week. We are on the Epic and GSC is the last day of the cruise so it would really be a bummer to have 5 at sea days. I researched the heck out of the cruise but did not see that was such a high probability until recently 😞

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

looks like it is due to high winds again

lucky, it is not as windy in nassau

40 knot moderate gale force winds and 5’ seas. Got to GSC before waving it off. Arrived in Nassau at 12:30 with a full set of ShoreEx available. 

22 minutes ago, Pwrmaster7 said:

My biggest fear is this happening on our cruise next week. We are on the Epic and GSC is the last day of the cruise so it would really be a bummer to have 5 at sea days. I researched the heck out of the cruise but did not see that was such a high probability until recently 😞

I think it just depends on the person. I have taken three cruises that included the private island and gotten there all three times. Just luck of the draw. Now I worry I jinxed myself by saying that and won't be able to get there on my cruise booked for next year! I think all you can do is hope and prepare yourself that you might not get to go. 

FYI........The windiest months in the Bahamas are March-April.....January and February. I gave up fishing in the Keys late winter and spring since 90% of the time we would get blown out

5 minutes ago, Sb2001 said:

Wow, going in April to Bahamas and GSC. Does this happen often?

This is the first time out of 6 stops at GSC where we didn’t make it. 

When/If you go to Nassau depends on your itinerary and the Port. If Nassau is not your next stop, you probably won’t go there. And if the port is full, you may not get there until someone leaves at 5 pm. 

18 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

You will be reimbursed for any NCL excursions. That includes a cabana. The contract is very clear though, that a port might be missed due to weather, etc. On any cruise.

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Animalgirl27 said:

There is travel insurance specifically for cruises that will reimburse for a missed port.

these travel insurance policy vary state by state for some odd reason. make sure you read and re-read the policy and fine print of the insurance policy you have

9 hours ago, Animalgirl27 said:

There is travel insurance specifically for cruises that will reimburse for a missed port.

I'd be curious how much one of those policies costs compared to one that doesn't pay for missed ports, and what the payout is for a missed port.  Is there really value to the customer to go to the effort to find such a policy, buy it and then spend the time to file the paperwork to get whatever that insurance company values the missed port at?  The cruise line is already compensating in the refund of port fees and any excursions purchased.

As for NCL skipping GSC, it seems like NCL skips their island A LOT more than RCI skips Coco Cay which is right next to GSC.  Yes, RCI now has a pier on their island but that was just opened last month.  Is NCL more cautious, are their tenders less able to handle certain conditions (maybe they'll buy RCI's tenders and make the stop more often?)?  In actuality, unless the conditions preclude use of tenders, certain conditions may still be contradictory to docking for RCI since there's no breakwater there but it seems like there are a LOT more "we skipped GSC" posts here than "we skipped Coco Cay" posts in the RCI forum.

11 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

You will be reimbursed for any NCL excursions. That includes a cabana. The contract is very clear though, that a port might be missed due to weather, etc. On any cruise.

We’ve only skipped one out of four, unfortunately we had a large cabana booked, soon after they were constructed, only $200.

We've missed one out of four stops to GSC, all in March or April.  

Just a note, when we missed last year, NCL gave each of us $25 OBC.  But we sailed Carnival Horizon last June and missed GSC and they gave each of us $330 towards another cruise!  So we have $660 paid for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise on the new Sunrise!  I realize neither cruise line had to compensate in anyway, but it sure was a nice surprise when Carnival did that!

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2019 at 8:53 AM, ksmcdonald said:

We've missed one out of four stops to GSC, all in March or April.  

Just a note, when we missed last year, NCL gave each of us $25 OBC.  But we sailed Carnival Horizon last June and missed GSC and they gave each of us $330 towards another cruise!  So we have $660 paid for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise on the new Sunrise!  I realize neither cruise line had to compensate in anyway, but it sure was a nice surprise when Carnival did that!

I don't think Carnival uses GSC as it is a privately owned island by Norwegian.