Sterling Steak House

Murphey

Same menu, different venue.  Whereas Crown Grill has its own space, the Sterling Steakhouse takes up a small portion of Horizon Court seating in evenings.  We went to Sterling twice in January on the Sapphire Princess and the quality was far above what we experienced previously on the Crown Grill for the exact same items we've ordered both places.  Not sure if that's a function of the food staff or what it is but we loved it.

Edited by azbirdmom

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Whereas Crown Grill has its own space, the Sterling Steakhouse takes up a small portion of Horizon Court seating in evenings. 

Depends on the ship. We ate at Sterling Steak House on Sea Princess and it was a dedicated venue. It was next to the Horizon Court but not part of it and was totally separate. I don't recall even seeing the HC while eating there. Our meal was better than anything we've had in Crown Grill or Bayou Cafe.

Edited by Thrak

Prett much the same thing Emerald (I think it was) had Crown in the buffet (no ambiance in my opinion) Sailed Pacific Princess in ‘04 and Stirlings was a free standing restaurant (it was a special treat).

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Prett much the same thing Emerald (I think it was) had Crown in the buffet (no ambiance in my opinion) Sailed Pacific Princess in ‘04 and Stirlings was a free standing restaurant (it was a special treat).

No the Ruby/Emerald/Crown all have the dedicated Crown Grill space from when the ships were built.

28 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Pardon my ignorance, but which ships have Sterling? 😃😘

I know Sapphire did back in 2012 and it was a walled off area of the buffet (you couldn't see folks in the buffet eating and they couldn't see you and the ambiance was much nicer than the buffet but not as nice - IMO - as the Crown Grills) in the back starboard side. I just checked the deck plans and it is still in the same location. 

I do remember back then that the food was so good compared to Crown Grill's we eaten in at that time that we went twice in a 7 day cruise.  We're back on the Sapphire for a 14 day cruise this summer and will visit at least once.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

According to the current deck plans, the Sapphire does too

Yes, I thought she would still have as she's the sister ship to Diamond. Both of those have some differences to the other Grand class ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

No the Ruby/Emerald/Crown all have the dedicated Crown Grill space from when the ships were built.

Yes definitely right.  I just ate at the Crown Grill on the Emerald last week during Emerald's Hawaii cruise.  The best service ever!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Depends on the ship. We ate at Sterling Steak House on Sea Princess and it was a dedicated venue. It was next to the Horizon Court but not part of it and was totally separate. I don't recall even seeing the HC while eating there. Our meal was better than anything we've had in Crown Grill or Bayou Cafe.

It's actually half of the Horizon Court which is separated at night by block out screen. Not a Dedicated venue. You may have never seen the HC as you were in the HC.

10 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

It's actually half of the Horizon Court which is separated at night by block out screen. Not a Dedicated venue. You may have never seen the HC as you were in the HC.

Whether perceived as part of Horizon Court, or not, it is still a great place to eat with  great ocean views, great food, and great service.  I have had wonderful ocean views at Sterling Steakhouse on Sun Princess, Diamond Princess, and Sapphire Princess.  I am looking forward to dining at Sterling Steakhouse on Pacific Princess.

1 hour ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Whether perceived as part of Horizon Court, or not, it is still a great place to eat with  great ocean views, great food, and great service.  I have had wonderful ocean views at Sterling Steakhouse on Sun Princess, Diamond Princess, and Sapphire Princess.  I am looking forward to dining at Sterling Steakhouse on Pacific Princess.

Love those windows!  😎

10 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Love those windows!  😎

And unlike the window-side tables in most (all?) Crown Grills, there is no view of people walking along the promenade deck.  All you see is the beautiful ocean!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

The above is the way it was for us on Sea Princess.  

22 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

9 hours ago, OCruisers said:

The above is the way it was for us on Sea Princess.  

Sounds as if I was mistaken. Hopefully I can be forgiven as Sea Princess was our first cruise ever and we were pretty wowed by everything. 🙂

11 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Love those windows!  😎

11 hours ago, capriccio said:

And unlike the window-side tables in most (all?) Crown Grills, there is no view of people walking along the promenade deck.  All you see is the beautiful ocean!

So great!  I can hardly wait to dine at Sterling Steakhouse, again🙂🍷🍤🍖🍗🍴

Last summer on the Sapphire Princess - they also used the same space at the beginning of the cruise with Crab Shack (one or the other). I don't think the Crab Shack was as popular so the last part of the cruise was just Sterlings.

It wasn't very busy on the Sapphire on our Norway trip last year. I have to say service was amazing.

Edited by Coral

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

Sounds as if I was mistaken. Hopefully I can be forgiven as Sea Princess was our first cruise ever and we were pretty wowed by everything. 🙂

A long time ago on the Sun Princess - they served people outside on Deck 14. It was by far the best I have had on the Sun Class ships. So nice to watch the sun set while eating outside. It was also $6 pp.

Edited by Coral