Leave your menu hacks here.

I don't like chocolate that much, so don't really like the melting cake. The only way I can eat it is order peanut butter with it. Makes it like a Reese's peanut butter cup.

Edited by bburk00
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

Have any menu hacks? Post them below and maybe pick up some new ones while you're at it.

Hi Tracey.kinney425 ☺️

On most cruise lines, not just Carnival, in the main dining room, you can order a main entree in appetizer size, as an appetizer or as a side dish to your entree. 

Of course you can order as many entrees as you like, however I'm just trying to make a specific point in regards to ordering a (main entree in appetizer size). 

🌴

49 minutes ago, bburk00 said:

I don't like chocolate that much, so don't really like the melting cake. The only way I can eat it is order peanut butter with it. Makes it like a Reese's peanut butter cup.

GAME CHANGER!!! YOU ARE AN EVIL GENIUS.

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009
GFDS
  • Like 1

My old menu hack was to get an order of fish n chips from the fish n chips place, (or the Tandoori fish from the Tandoori Grill) then head down to the Blue Iguana and ask nicely for plain tortilla (fresh made), remove the breading from the fish (none on Tandoori), make fish tacos using condiments from salsa bar.  The puny fish pellets at the Blue Iguana are terrible.  But removal of Fish n Chips and Tandoori wiped that hack out.

• Like 2

Just a pet peeve of mine, but I wish we could go back to calling tips and advice just tips and advice, not "life hacks."

36 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

On most cruise lines, not just Carnival, in the main dining room, you can order a main entree in appetizer size, as an appetizer or as a side dish to your entree.

Is this common? They prepare/plate so many of their meals ahead of time. We've tried to get just the main dish of an entree (for example, just a filet mignon at brunch without the sides) but they wouldn't do it. They'd bring the entire meal and our waiter said it was because it's already prepped. I've heard plenty of people try this at dinner, too, and get the entire meal. So it seems odd they'd give you the main dish as a side.

3 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Just a pet peeve of mine, but I wish we could go back to calling tips and advice just tips and advice, not "life hacks."

Is this common? They prepare/plate so many of their meals ahead of time. We've tried to get just the main dish of an entree (for example, just a filet mignon at brunch without the sides) but they wouldn't do it. They'd bring the entire meal and our waiter said it was because it's already prepped. I've heard plenty of people try this at dinner, too, and get the entire meal. So it seems odd they'd give you the main dish as a side.

It's hit or miss... the headwaiter would need to replate it prior to serving. You can arrange anything ahead of time through the hostess including special requests for items not on the menu.

(Particularly if you have Cheers, so you're not paying extra for it...) Pouring a shot of Frangelico over the vanilla ice cream in the MDR is SO good. Big thanks to the awesome headwaitress I had on my last cruise for the suggestion!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Elsisi said:

Room Service Hack … em, Tip.

I order two BLTs from Room service, then remove the L and T and make one massive bacon sandwich.  Nightly ritual.

Nice. I don't like L and T, but do enjoy a bacon sandwich, so this is a good one. Can you get mayo (or preferably Miracle Whip) with it?

As a previous restaurant owner and in the business for a long time, this makes me cringe!  Lol.  Some of these aren't so bad, though.

I just think of one of my favorite restaurants, very popular, right on their menu:

"Absolutely no changes or substitutions.  Let me do what I do and don't break balls"

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BNBR said:

OMG. This is hilarious. Totally explains why my son wants to strangle me when we go out to eat. You've changed my annoying restaurant behavior for good.

I just think of one of my favorite restaurants, very popular, right on their menu:

"Absolutely no changes or substitutions.  Let me do what I do and don't break balls"

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

As a previous restaurant owner and in the business for a long time, this makes me cringe!  Lol.  Some of these aren't so bad, though.

and they're still in business? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coevan said:

and they're still in business? 

Yes, wait list every night. Opened locations in Vegas and Atlantic city as well as published books and even pasta sauces at the grocery store. 

Cafe Martorano. 

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 2

Okay, I haven’t actually tried this one yet but I am going for it on my next cruise in June.

I only eat breakfast in the MDR and I like to order the eggs Benedict but sometimes I notice that the English muffin is too hard. A local French restaurant serves eggs Benedict on a croissant instead. I am going to request a sub out on the English muffin and ask for Eggs Benedict prepared on a split croissant.

on another thred I read that someone goes to the blue iguana cantina for breakfast and orders a breakfast burrito bowl instead of a typical breakfast burrito and I like that idea too because I can’t digest tortillas very well due to water retention while cruising.