New Elevator System?

CruzerDeb

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

I'm actually a fan of the Otis Compass elevators. They worked very well at the New York Marriott Marquis and the St. Regis Bal Harbour when I used them. Many downtown city hotels are switching over.

Headquartered in my old stomping grounds in CT I might add.....

Carnival ships are light on elevators, these “upgraded” one are supposed to be more efficient.  You press a button to which floor you want to go to and it tells you which elevator it will be.  It is an improvement and will work if the people will let it.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

They must have added it to Vista. Vista didn’t have it when I sailed on her in 2017. 

PhillyFan- I was corrected by SaintGreg… they had this elevator system on Vista at first, then removed it to implement elevators that just go to specific floors. And it's not all of them, just the forward elevators. So you were wrong... but you were right... and I was wrong... LOL!!!

36 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Understood. That's why I said 'I'm not sure exactly where they're located on Vista and Horizon- I don't think they're in the atrium like the glass ones were.'

Ummmm there are no glass elevators on the Vista or Horizon.... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

Not for us it didn't on the horizon....and by the amount of complaints we heard every day by other cruisers...not for them either.

But I wont book on that class anymore..so no worries here.   Just switched next years cruise to the Breeze--my favorite class of ship on  Carnival.

I think you should give this class another try....how about it??

Edited by jimbo5544

10 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Yeah exactly this sounds like a great system for people with half of a brain

It's a great system for people who don't want to stop on 10 floors. One elevator sends everyone that's going to deck 10 there. Another one sends all the people that are going to deck 5 there...and so on.

45 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

The elevator system works great,,, unless your the one whos internal elevator doesn't go to the top.

41 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

Not for us it didn't on the horizon....and by the amount of complaints we heard every day by other cruisers...not for them either.

He was taking a cheap shot at the intelligence of people who think they don't work great. "Elevator doesn't go to the top." It's an old adage, calling someone dumb. Gotta love CC. 🙄

28 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

PhillyFan- I was corrected by SaintGreg… they had this elevator system on Vista at first, then removed it to implement elevators that just go to specific floors. And it's not all of them, just the forward elevators. So you were wrong... but you were right... and I was wrong... LOL!!!

According to posts here on CC, when the Vista first set sail and introduced this new "smart" elevator system, it was only being tested on one set of elevators. I believe the forward elevators. What they've done to them and where they've put them since then, I don't know.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think you should give this class another try....how about it??

If it was just the elevators, I may consider that, but the theater being much smaller and obstructed and the atrium being so small are bigger issues for us.  

I really really enjoy the traditional atrium and theater.   

The one improvement I did like on the horizon was the buffet area--I didn't think I I would, but putting the main food out in the middle stations really seemed to cut down on wait times for food.   I never experienced any lines...it was like a roundabout on the roads  LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

If it was just the elevators, I may consider that, but the theater being much smaller and obstructed and the atrium being so small are bigger issues for us.  

I really really enjoy the traditional atrium and theater.   

The one improvement I did like on the horizon was the buffet area--I didn't think I I would, but putting the main food out in the middle stations really seemed to cut down on wait times for food.   I never experienced any lines...it was like a roundabout on the roads  LOL

For me on Vista the smaller comedy club was all I didn’t like. I didn’t see a problem with the theater. I like the old atrium but on the new one I kind of liked watching the virtual sting ray swim around...especially after a few fun ships.

The internet, room TVs, and ship cams are incomparable. Awesome!

Putting the thrill theater, imax and arcade on deck 6 forward was brilliant and pretty much eliminated my evening run ins with kids. 

The new YTD check in system. Ability to check in on deck 3, deck 4, deck 5, or the app eliminated YTD lines. 

I went in thinking it was going to be a one shot deal..I wasn’t going to like it...but I was wrong. I’d go back. Breeze used to be my favorite ship now I can’t say if it’s Breeze or Vista.

• Like 2

I didn't care for the Horizon elevators.  Only 2 forward elevator go to Deck 14.  People would jump on an elevator that someone else called on the decks where the monitors showed what decks the elevator was headed and the elevator would stop at other decks gathering more people.  

15 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

For me on Vista the smaller comedy club was all I didn’t like. I didn’t see a problem with the theater. I like the old atrium but on the new one I kind of liked watching the virtual sting ray swim around...especially after a few fun ships.

The internet, room TVs, and ship cams are incomparable. Awesome!

Putting the thrill theater, imax and arcade on deck 6 forward was brilliant and pretty much eliminated my evening run ins with kids. 

The new YTD check in system. Ability to check in on deck 3, deck 4, deck 5, or the app eliminated YTD lines. 

I went in thinking it was going to be a one shot deal..I wasn’t going to like it...but I was wrong. I’d go back. Breeze used to be my favorite ship now I can’t say if it’s Breeze or Vista.

Yes...I did enjoy the IMAX on the horizon also.   We saw a short movie in there, we would have seen a full length, but weren't interested in either title during our week.

For the Horizon comedy club, it didn't have a bar you could walk up to and order a drink, you had to wait on a server.   At least I couldn't find a walk up bar in there :):)  I didn't like that either.   They did do some of the late night comedy in the actual theater, that was nice as a lot of people attended those and it accommodated them much better.   That did have a bar that you could walk up to.

7 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

Yes...I did enjoy the IMAX on the horizon also.   We saw a short movie in there, we would have seen a full length, but weren't interested in either title during our week.

For the Horizon comedy club, it didn't have a bar you could walk up to and order a drink, you had to wait on a server.   At least I couldn't find a walk up bar in there :):)  I didn't like that either.   They did do some of the late night comedy in the actual theater, that was nice as a lot of people attended those and it accommodated them much better.   That did have a bar that you could walk up to.

Same on vista. I loved them having late night comedy in the main theater two nights. I’ve been suggesting that in all of my surveys. 

Tbe perfect comedy club for me is Dream Class. 

Edited by Saint Greg

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

We'll be on Horizon next. Not my first choice, but was out of my control this time. Taking everyone's "cons" and using them to prepare for what's to come and hopefully make the best of it. I really wanted to try a Dream class (we haven't yet). I've seen a lot of positive talk about the Breeze. I mean a lot. So if we do a Dream class someday, is that the one to pick?

10 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

We'll be on Horizon next. Not my first choice, but was out of my control this time. Taking everyone's "cons" and using them to prepare for what's to come and hopefully make the best of it. I really wanted to try a Dream class (we haven't yet). I've seen a lot of positive talk about the Breeze. I mean a lot. So if we do a Dream class someday, is that the one to pick?

We did Dream and Magic. Both were fine but nothing to write home about. Go for the Breeze... it has less Farcus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Headquartered in my old stomping grounds in CT I might add.....

Carnival ships are light on elevators, these “upgraded” one are supposed to be more efficient.  You press a button to which floor you want to go to and it tells you which elevator it will be.  It is an improvement and will work if the people will let it.

One of the biggest problems I saw was people did just what you said...you press a button to which floor you want to go to. For the system to work right, you have to push the button based on how many people are in your group.  For example, if there are 4 people in your group, you have to push the button 4 times. When I was on Horizon a few weeks ago most groups were not doing this. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I’ll tell you why I like Breeze over Dream. Although I do like Dream. And I think Magic has the same stuff Breeze does.

Next to the alchemy bar Breeze has a Red Frog Pub. It’s a nice spot to slip into if the alchemy is full. It also makes up for the lack of a sports bar. It has a lot of TVs with the sports channels. The Dream has an Art Gallery in that space.

Down on deck 4 the Breeze has a thrill theater. Dream has a conferece room in that space. Not a deal breaker for me but it was a nice place

to kill time on a rainy sea day waiting for the brunch line to go down.

Up on deck 11 the Breeze has more up to date sports area with the ropes course and sky fitness and all that which Dream doesn’t have.

Those things plus being a little newer with more modern decor give the Breeze the edge over Dream for me.

Edited by Saint Greg

4 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

We did Dream and Magic. Both were fine but nothing to write home about. Go for the Breeze... it has less Farcus.

I know people have different views, but I prefer Magic because it has Farcus’ footprint. To me, Breeze, Vista and Horizon are boring compared to the previous ships, which all have unique Vegas style designs, which I like. 

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

I know people have different views, but I prefer Magic because it has Farcus’ footprint. To me, Breeze, Vista and Horizon are boring compared to the previous ships, which all have unique Vegas style designs, which I like. 

It's great that everyone has their own preferences and with hundreds of ships, everyone can enjoy the experience they like best 🙂

10 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

That's good enough reason for me. Not into the Farcus decor.

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ll tell you why I like Breeze over Dream. Although I do like Dream. And I think Magic has the same stuff Breeze does.

Next to the alchemy bar Breeze has a Red Frog Pub. It’s a nice spot to slip into if the alchemy is full. It also makes up for the lack of a sports bar. It has a lot of TVs with the sports channels. The Dream has an Art Gallery in that space.

Down on deck 4 the Breeze has a thrill theater. Dream has a conferece room in that space. Not a deal breaker for me but it was a nice place

to kill time on a rainy sea day waiting for the brunch line to go down.

Up on deck 11 the Breeze has more up to date sports area with the ropes course and sky fitness and all that which Dream doesn’t have.

We don't do the bar scene and I'm not a sports fan, so those don't attract me. I do want to try the Thrill Theater on Horizon. I'm sure I'd prefer that over other things. I definitely do not need an art gallery. I'd say the Magic is probably the other Dream class that I've heard good things about.

• Like 1

How does the system know if you need room for a scooter or stroller?

The video showed him being advised after each entry on the pad which elevator to wait for. So if you have 4 people and the first three entries fill up an elevator, does the fourth person have to wait for another elevator. Can’t see that happening either.

13 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

How does the system know if you need room for a scooter or stroller?

The video showed him being advised after each entry on the pad which elevator to wait for. So if you have 4 people and the first three entries fill up an elevator, does the fourth person have to wait for another elevator. Can’t see that happening either.

You can enter the desired floor an extra couple of times to allocate the required space. Regardless if you do that or not, it really won't make a difference as the majority of passengers on cruise ships (regardless of cruise operator) do not have elevator etiquette. The majority of passengers, from what I have seen, dart in front of wheelchairs and scooters and/or don't shift to make room in the elevator. In addition, most passengers seem to have issues waiting for people to exit the elevator car prior to entering the elevator. 

Elevator etiquette should have been taught in grade school. 

(In before the responses: if you think this is untrue, you should spend 20 minutes in a wheelchair or scooter trying to get in an elevator as an experiment and report your findings.)

Edited by xDisconnections