Celebrity Terrible Customer Service

ak1004

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

I will say I am impressed by your sticking to your guns, but one thing still puzzles me: how did your agent not catch the fact that your concierge cabin was highly unlikely to be larger than your original? I have made bookings myself and subsequent cabin changes several times, and I always check deck maps and diagrams for location and relative size. When I have been talking with a rep, I look up the new one right there. Most TA web sites also show all types of additional info on cabins.

What did the rep say that caused both of you to accept it without looking it up? And one thing you didn't say yet--how much larger did she claim it would be? Did she use sq feet or percentages, or just say it was larger? Was there a minimum size difference that you would have accepted? Finally, how did you learn the truth, and did you complain up the chain of supervisors?

Maybe fleshing out these details would explain why you think she deliberately lied?

I contacted the TA when I found out that the prices dropped significantly. I told her that I know we are past the final payment, but maybe she could ask if we can get an upgrade? Some people asked and got an upgrade for a very small extra or free. I was reading this topic and thought it's worth a try.

She was on vacation in Japan, but told me she will try regardless. Then she called while on line with X rep (I was on a separate line, but could hear a bit the X rep on the other line). She told me that she was on phone with them for over half an hour, tried to ask for an upgrade, and rep said no at the beginning, she was transferred between few reps (maybe supervisors), then they told her that the perks are no included if we move to another cabin, but the final offer was a concierge cabin with all perks kept.

She asked how the concierge room is different, and was told that the room is in a better location, has few small extras (like priority embarkation, sparkling wine etc.) and also slightly larger, and the balcony is slightly larger as well. I have no idea if the rep intentionally misled us or was just misinformed.

I was driving at that time, and my TA maybe did not have the deck plans at that time since she was on vacation. We simply did not have a reason to doubt what the rep was saying, and also this was the only option. Since the rep said we would keep the perks anyway, I saw no reason not to accept it.

Then I came home and checked the cabin descriptions and the deck plans, and found that this is exactly the same cabin. I was slightly upset by the fact that we have been present incorrect information, but it was no extra cost, and the perks remained, so it was better than nothing.

Then few hours later we got an email telling us that we owe them more money ($400+ CAD), after paying $9,200 CAD for the cruise and another $3,400+ for the shore excursions. Plus there was no mentioning of the extra two original perks. This is when I got really angry because I also checked prices for this cruise, and at this point, the concierge cabin was priced exactly the same as veranda. 

I hope you can understand why I felt upset and cheated, after founding out that I was "upgraded" to a room with exactly the same cost, but lost over $1,000 in perks in the process.

Yes, the mistake has been corrected the next day. I don't know if it was an IT glitch or clerk error, but the bad taste remained.

Hope this clarifies things. I fully understand they owe me nothing, and as I said, you win some you lose money. It was the whole process that left a bad taste.

On a related note, I still do think that dropping the prices so dramatically is a bad practice. Yes, I understand that they are running a business and they owe me nothing etc. etc. All true. It just never happened to us with other lines, and we see much less price fluctuations with other lines, so this obviously didn't help as well.

@ak1004 Well, that adds a lot more context. With both you and your TA away from places you could check things out, you felt extra reliant on the rep, so that translated into being extra peeved when what you were told was wrong. I am sure a lot of people can now understand.

Still, I am absolutely sure it was a mistake. Companies like this save their polished liars for their corporate sales and stockholder relations departments.  More seriously, when you read the forum extensively and see their reputation for inaccuracy, you get the feeling that the Customer Service reps are shuffled into their jobs and there are about 15 policy and information binders available for every 50 reps. When you get one with mistaken info, they may be relying on someone who thought they remembered what someone else said.

But I think you should also realize that there are really good ones. When you find one, you can actually get their extensions. I have had 2 great ones--the one who gave me the perks I never even thought about, and another who literally spent 22 minutes tracking down whether I could get the combo I wanted.

If you live the canapes in C class, maybe it will all fade away in your memories with nicer experiences on the cruise.

• Like 1

@mayleeman

Thanks for sharing, that's a good info.

I hope it was a mistake - definitely better than deliberate lie. And after reading on the mentioned topic how people got great upgrades, I could just be especially unlucky.

I will definitely enjoy the cruise, no doubt about it. It has absolutely nothing to do with this bad experience. And yes, I love canapes, but trying to cut my sugar consumption, so this won't help much.. But my daughter definitely will have them. And then complain that she gained 5 pounds..

• Like 1

I read that thread you mentioned and maybe I’m missing something but what I read about, for the most part, was people paying to upgrade.  If the price dropped after final payment people paid to upgrade from Oceanview to Balcony or from AQ to a suite...  I did not read about people just getting upgrades for free when prices dropped.

48 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I read that thread you mentioned and maybe I’m missing something but what I read about, for the most part, was people paying to upgrade.  If the price dropped after final payment people paid to upgrade from Oceanview to Balcony or from AQ to a suite...  I did not read about people just getting upgrades for free when prices dropped.

Some people paid just couple hundred bucks for a serious upgrade and some got OBC.

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I contacted the TA when I found out that the prices dropped significantly. I told her that I know we are past the final payment, but maybe she could ask if we can get an upgrade? Some people asked and got an upgrade for a very small extra or free. I was reading this topic and thought it's worth a try.

She was on vacation in Japan, but told me she will try regardless. Then she called while on line with X rep (I was on a separate line, but could hear a bit the X rep on the other line). She told me that she was on phone with them for over half an hour, tried to ask for an upgrade, and rep said no at the beginning, she was transferred between few reps (maybe supervisors), then they told her that the perks are no included if we move to another cabin, but the final offer was a concierge cabin with all perks kept.

She asked how the concierge room is different, and was told that the room is in a better location, has few small extras (like priority embarkation, sparkling wine etc.) and also slightly larger, and the balcony is slightly larger as well. I have no idea if the rep intentionally misled us or was just misinformed.

I was driving at that time, and my TA maybe did not have the deck plans at that time since she was on vacation. We simply did not have a reason to doubt what the rep was saying, and also this was the only option. Since the rep said we would keep the perks anyway, I saw no reason not to accept it.

Then I came home and checked the cabin descriptions and the deck plans, and found that this is exactly the same cabin. I was slightly upset by the fact that we have been present incorrect information, but it was no extra cost, and the perks remained, so it was better than nothing.

Then few hours later we got an email telling us that we owe them more money ($400+ CAD), after paying $9,200 CAD for the cruise and another $3,400+ for the shore excursions. Plus there was no mentioning of the extra two original perks. This is when I got really angry because I also checked prices for this cruise, and at this point, the concierge cabin was priced exactly the same as veranda. 

I hope you can understand why I felt upset and cheated, after founding out that I was "upgraded" to a room with exactly the same cost, but lost over $1,000 in perks in the process.

Yes, the mistake has been corrected the next day. I don't know if it was an IT glitch or clerk error, but the bad taste remained.

Hope this clarifies things. I fully understand they owe me nothing, and as I said, you win some you lose money. It was the whole process that left a bad taste.

On a related note, I still do think that dropping the prices so dramatically is a bad practice. Yes, I understand that they are running a business and they owe me nothing etc. etc. All true. It just never happened to us with other lines, and we see much less price fluctuations with other lines, so this obviously didn't help as well.

I think perhaps the X agent was confused since on the M-class ships Concierge rooms are larger (by about 20 sq. ft.) than balcony rooms, but on S-class they are the same size. Unfortunately, mistakes are made. Several mistakes occurred, regardless of who made them, they were rectified. At this point some people here seem to be confused by what is the point of your posts. Are you wanting something that wasn't provided? Do you want further consideration? Apologies? Do you want to warn others that mistakes could happen? Do you want to influence others in how, when or where to book? What's the end game?😕Confused.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pentlands said:

ever thought that it might help to talk about it, otherwise why have y ou posted over 3000 times on here,Luvcrusn?

Maybe because Luvscrusin regularly answers questions asked in this forum, providing helpful information and advice to others?  

SMH.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I think perhaps the X agent was confused since on the M-class ships Concierge rooms are larger (by about 20 sq. ft.) than balcony rooms, but on S-class they are the same size. Unfortunately, mistakes are made. Several mistakes occurred, regardless of who made them, they were rectified. At this point some people here seem to be confused by what is the point of your posts. Are you wanting something that wasn't provided? Do you want further consideration? Apologies? Do you want to warn others that mistakes could happen? Do you want to influence others in how, when or where to book? What's the end game?😕Confused.

There is no end game. I was asked by one of the members to clarify some things, which I did.

P.S. There is no obligation for you or anyone else to read my posts, but at the same time, I hope I don't need permission from you to post.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

There is no end game. I was asked by one of the members to clarify some things, which I did.

P.S. There is no obligation for you or anyone else to read my posts, but at the same time, I hope I don't need permission from you to post.

You do not need anyone's permission to post here. My questions above weren't meant as criticism of your post, but were meant to simply understand why the thread was started after the unfortunate situation happened and was rectified. What was the reason that you started the thread?  I don't mean to criticise or flame but to understand.  If you just did it to share or vent that's a reason. I just was asking honest questions with no implied crircism. I'm sorry you took it as anything other than at face value. Thanks to journey for the kind words. I do try to always be respectful of fellow members and be helpful whenever possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

You do not need anyone's permission to post here. My questions above weren't meant as criticism of your post, but were meant to simply understand why the thread was started after the unfortunate situation happened and was rectified. What was the reason that you started the thread?  I don't mean to criticise or flame but to understand.  If you just did it to share or vent that's a reason. I just was asking honest questions with no implied crircism. I'm sorry you took it as anything other than at face value. Thanks to journey for the kind words. I do try to always be respectful of fellow members and be helpful whenever possible. 

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

The topic was started to share my experience with Celebrity Customer service. I started it before the mistake has been fixed (you can verify it by reading the topic). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The topic was started to share my experience with Celebrity Customer service. I started it before the mistake has been fixed (you can verify it by reading the topic). 

I don't need to verify, I was curious and your post explained. Have a good cruise. Hope you have a great cruise and smooth seas. Autocorrect did change my thanks to jkgourmet fot the kind words in my post above, so thanks for that too. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Maybe because Luvscrusin regularly answers questions asked in this forum, providing helpful information and advice to others?  

SMH.  

Or as seems to me that the thread was about talking about the incident, which is what I said it might be for.

14 minutes ago, Pentlands said:

Or as seems to me that the thread was about talking about the incident, which is what I said it might be for.

Whatever.  The "incident" was 100% resolved quickly except for some minor errors by a customer service agent (and  OP's TA, IMHO). 

And she/he is still unhappy with Celebrity.   Can't please some people now matter what. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

SMH.  

Luvcrusn,

Always value your comments to any posts...

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Hope you can now put negatives behind you and enjoy your cruise...

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, ak1004 said:

described the price drop as a fact, not a complaint

On 4/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, ak1004 said:

Providing a $50 "upgrade" after $3,000 drop is a joke.

I thought you were not complaining about the price drop?? The title of this post is unfair...it makes me wonder what you were really looking for...hoping that a Celebrity Rep would see it?  Hoping to get something for nothing seems to be the theme...

I have looked at my upcoming cruise and the prices have gone up 500pp - should I expect a call from X tell me I owe $2000...

stop with the "I am not complaining about the price"  you are

Your TA was your representative - you allowed her to represent you...you made a choice to look at the price...you were unhappy and expected something 

Acting entitled  is defined as "believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment" - 

Expectation is defined as "a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future"  - you made an issue with X because you had an expectation - it did not go your way so you are throwing a temper tantrum behind a computer screen

Princess overbooked and gave you something you wanted so they are wonderful....hmmm a theme here? 

I am thrilled for you that it all worked out for you...but think about this...everyone that booked before the price drop did not get what you did...what if they had...what if they acted entitled...and cruise lines constantly had to pacify people...the prices would have to go up in the future...so for a moment maybe think of others on your ship that were simply grateful to have the ability to go away...

Have a wonderful cruise 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AnnemarieC76 said:

I thought you were not complaining about the price drop?? The title of this post is unfair...it makes me wonder what you were really looking for...hoping that a Celebrity Rep would see it?  Hoping to get something for nothing seems to be the theme...

I have looked at my upcoming cruise and the prices have gone up 500pp - should I expect a call from X tell me I owe $2000...

stop with the "I am not complaining about the price"  you are

Your TA was your representative - you allowed her to represent you...you made a choice to look at the price...you were unhappy and expected something 

Acting entitled  is defined as "believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment" - 

Expectation is defined as "a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future"  - you made an issue with X because you had an expectation - it did not go your way so you are throwing a temper tantrum behind a computer screen

You obviously didn't read a single word of what I wrote. Whatever. Thank you, but I really don't need a lecture from you. 

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

You obviously didn't read a single word of what I wrote. Whatever. Thank you, but I really don't need a lecture from you. 

I read all of it...however your words were continuous contradictions - "I do not care" but "I want"

so on and so forth...

Not lecturing at all...offering perspective...a new perspective at times changes everything...

I do hope you enjoy each moment of your vacation... 

Edited by AnnemarieC76
typed O instead of I :-)
  • Like 2

Agree with others here the title is quite deceiving.  I see a string of little issues all coming together to make the OP feel unhappy.  However having done most of my own travel reservations over the years don't see a big issue.

It all started with the feeling of overpaying, getting cheated by the cruise line, when the price dropped after final payment.  We have had both happen on both cruises, flights and hotels, some times you can a price adjusted others you can't.  In the long run they all average out.  Our next cruise has almost doubled in price since we booked, it is still 7 months out so I am sure there are plenty of adjustments to come. 

The OP decided to ask their TA if something could be done, I as well as many others here I am sure would have done the same.  Where the 1st issue comes in is when the TA is on a vacation of their own.  Yes it was great she called on her vacation but I would bet if she was I  her office things may have gone differently.  I have learned to ask for a confirmation and verify the contents before getting off the phone to make sure all is as expected. If the TA was in their office maybe they would have done the same?  Maybe waiting for the TA to return would have gotten better results. I know TAs can do great things but personally prefer to do my own to be on my timeframe not someone else's. 

Yes the rep gave incorrect info on the size of the cabin.  Unfortunately as customer service gets moved overseas quality slips.  They have a script and don't do much thinking.  This applies to a lot of companies not just Celebrity.  Here again I would have checked myself while on the phone but with the TA away and OP in their car it was not possible.  If the OP knew the size was the same would they have agreed to the upgrade? I am getting they would have.

As for trying to remove the OBC,  this is again part of the script. They are not going to deviate without someone asking the question.  When the TA pushed it was all left in tact.  This all worked as it should have.

Finally, the OBC was mistakenly removed. Yes this is an error. Celebrity, and their sister brands are not known for their IT systems, onboard experience us very different.  However if the confirmation was reviewed while on the phone this angst could have been avoided.

The OP came here, was assured a phone call would get it all fixed which it was.  However they are still unhappy and place all the blame on Celebrity.  My suggestion at this point is to leave this post as their opinion is obviously different than most here and by reiterating the same thing over and over isn't helping their case.

OP  I truly hope your cruise is wonderful and you can put this all behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe @akcruz provided a pretty accurate summary of what happened. Some would see it as a serious of small and unintentional errors, "string of little issues", and part of the "trying to stick to the script". This might be true, but it's not a customer service I would expect from a premium cruise line.

Anyway, thank you everyone for offering their perspective, advice, support and good wishes. I'm sure we will have a great time on our upcoming cruises, and I wish everyone the same!

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Here is how Princess handles those situations.

Watch and learn Celebrity.

You have  asked people to "let it go" and stated that no one understands..and YET you can not seem to breath and let it go...it is a shame you can not cancel your cruise and go on Princess...but I think the lesson here is go on Princess from now on...forever in fact...clearly they have what you want and that is good...I am happy for you that you can find that 🙂 Best of luck and PLEASE try and enjoy your final cruise on celebrity 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm seeing that some people on some occasions have gotten something from Princess, just like some people on some occasions have reported getting something from Celebrity (or HAL or NCL or RCCL...).  Are you ignoring that many more (even within that same thread) report getting absolutely nothing?  If you can point to a written policy rather than one-offs, I think you'd have a stronger point to make.

In the linked thread, the few who did get something said they booked directly with Princess and not through a TA.  Also, at least one of those "deals" was a downgrade in room category and another was a price decrease offset with loss of perks.  No idea what total fare they're paying, either, which could have an effect on the outcome.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1