What happens if for medical reason you can't use the Medallion?

dinojude

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The older ships will be getting the Medallion or leaving the fleet.

On the Caribbean Princess the last week when both medallion and cruise card were issued to every passenger and the first week of just medallions issued.

The first week the cruise card unlocked the door by taping it on the door pad, just like a hotel key.  Medallions either automatically unlocked the door, or you had to hold it up to the computer screen outside the door, where the mailbox use to be.  

On the second week, the cruise card unlocked the door by tapping the computer screen outside the door just like the medallion.  

Anyone with an issue with the medallion for medical purposes will have no problem gaining access to room or ship with a cruise card.

10 hours ago, Haboob said:

"Safety only" means that the Medallion remains fully functional, but the real-time tracking of it will not be passed

to "marketing" folks -- Security and the Bridge get told, but not your bartender, cabin steward, MDR waitstaff, etc.

The Medallion has both RFID (requiring no battery) and Bluetooth/low energy (which does).  Bluetooth supposedly

"poses little or no risk".  But if I wore one, I'd have very detailed conversations with both Princess and my doctor. 

Yes, Bluetooth would require a battery. This is needed for tracking people.

steamboats

10 hours ago, steamboats said:

Yes, Bluetooth would require a battery. This is needed for tracking people.

steamboats

This is not the first time I have read that Bluetooth is needed for the location function.

I am reasonably technical person, but the number of years since I gave up my pocket protector is approaching double digits.  I'm going to make a guess as to why Bluetooth is needed, and would appreciate it if somebody were to jump in and either confirm or correct me.

Is it that the bluetooth signal is stronger (whatever that might mean) and, so, the ship's sensors can detect bluetooth devices at a farther distance?

I contacted Princess as I have  Pacemaker, Pain pump, and Spinal Cord Stimulator along with a replaced knee. Here is princesses response

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Guest Medical Support.  

Please always carry your identification card.  In an accident, your I.D. card will tell the people helping you that you have a pacemaker.  Please also travel with a letter from your doctor stating your use of a pacemaker and present the letter to security staff.  This will allow them to utilize a wand/pat down rather than having you walk through the metal detectors.  For future voyages, no need to send us this information prior to sailing.  

In regards to the medallion and your medical equipment, at this time there is no indication of affect on implanted medical devices. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

1 hour ago, cruise4mom said:

In regards to the medallion and your medical equipment, at this time there is no indication of affect on implanted medical devices. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

OK - so why is there a warning on the medallions about pacemakers?

BTW - thanks for contacting them.

10 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Is it that the bluetooth signal is stronger (whatever that might mean) and, so, the ship's sensors can detect bluetooth devices at a farther distance?

The new cruise cards have two very low power RF chips. The OM has the same two RF chips plus a Bluetooth chip. That chip has 10-15 foot range. Internal batteries have limited life, any issue a new card can be programmed on board. 

13 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Bluetooth usually works on distances up to 8 or 10 m. RFID/NFC has way shorter distances. You need to install beacons all over the ship to track the Bluetooth devices and locate the people through the device.

MSC is using Bluetooth with their family tracker.

steamboats

9 hours ago, steamboats said:

Bluetooth usually works on distances up to 8 or 10 m. RFID/NFC has way shorter distances. You need to install beacons all over the ship to track the Bluetooth devices and locate the people through the device.

MSC is using Bluetooth with their family tracker.

steamboats

Thanks.

A brief Google search yields:

"Like most electronic devices, RFID systems generate electromagnetic waves, which can vary in amplitude and frequency. The operating frequency chosen for a specific RFID system often depends on its application (Table 1). Some RFID readers may potentially produce electromagnetic fields of sufficient amplitude and/or frequency to interact with an implanted cardiac device."

There would be no need to re-charge a Medallion and there should not be a battery in it.

Strange, if it is the Reader that might cause the interference, then location of the Medallion should no matter.

11 hours ago, Tedferg said:

There would be no need to re-charge a Medallion and there should not be a battery in it.

Strange, if it is the Reader that might cause the interference, then location of the Medallion should no matter.

Yes, that´s correct. But as there is additionaly Bluetooth in the Medallion there´s a battery needed as Bluetooth is an active system. Locating people on the ship to serve them their drinks which they´ve ordered via an app only works with Bluetooth.

steamboats

According to this article (and you may download the full paper) OceanMedallion does use Bluetooth (BLE) and NFC (but no RFID). Both technologies are used in almost all smartphones. NFC is used in payment cards like credit cards or bank cards for payments.

Bluetooth does need a built in battery. NFC does not.

steamboats

53 minutes ago, steamboats said:

According to this article (and you may download the full paper) OceanMedallion does use Bluetooth (BLE) and NFC (but no RFID). Both technologies are used in almost all smartphones. NFC is used in payment cards like credit cards or bank cards for payments.

Bluetooth does need a built in battery. NFC does not.

steamboats

Same tech I listed back in post #42.

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

Near Field Communication (NFC)

On 4/7/2019 at 8:10 AM, SargassoPirate said:

What is the big wooptie do about the medalllion?  I have a cruise coming up in several months and received an email survey about medallion and I really didn't know anything about it.

I also know nothing about this. We have a cruise in a few weeks and have never heard of medallion? I am assuming whatever this is is only on a few ships at present, but what is it?