st thomas liquor question

Pwrmaster7

I have asked this question in the St Thomas forum but haven't received a response and leave in 3 days :). I am looking to buy some fine rums and bourbon/whiskeys sold only outside the US. What are the best places to do so, even if not right near the pier? Id like to do a beach for a couple hours then go shopping for these items on the way back. I am on the Epic from 7-2. I have searched back on the forums, but nothing too recent showed up. Thanks!

OP...not sure where you live. But, I live near the OH-KY border.  There are probably a dozen large liquor stores within 15-20 minutes of me that have better-finer rums, bourbons, gins, tequilas, vodkas, both domestics and foreign than you would find on any Caribbean island or on the ship.

If you have any of those near you, it’s better to buy liquors locally.

The only products I’ve heard that are substantially less expensive in the Caribbean or on board are cigarettes.

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

OP...not sure where you live. But, I live near the OH-KY border.  There are probably a dozen large liquor stores within 15-20 minutes of me that have better-finer rums, bourbons, gins, tequilas, vodkas, both domestics and foreign than you would find on any Caribbean island or on the ship.

The only products I’ve heard that are substantially less expensive in the Caribbean or on board are cigarettes.

you are right about the savings compared to years ago and hen he hassle to get it home unless you are driving. 

OP years ago, when our daughter used to live in St Thomas the best place to buy booze was believe it or not, the old Woolwoth but I imagine they are long gone You will get better deals in the downtown area than near the port. 

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I'd agree.  St Thonas used to have great prices but last time we were there things cheaper at warehouse club.  They even had signs saying "no pictures" so that should give one a pretty big clue.

I am looking for things such as blantons straight from the barrel and gold which are not available in the US. There are also scotches and rums only found outside the US. These are what I will be searching for, I am not looking just to save a few bucks on things i can find back home. Appreciate the feedback.

1 hour ago, Pwrmaster7 said:

I am looking for things such as blantons straight from the barrel and gold which are not available in the US. There are also scotches and rums only found outside the US. These are what I will be searching for, I am not looking just to save a few bucks on things i can find back home. Appreciate the feedback.

You won’t find ANY of those bourbons in ANY of the Caribbean liquor stores.  If you’re looking to buy something like Gentleman Jack, Glenlivet, Hendrick’s Gin, etc....you’ll find it in the some of the Caribbean Liquor stores on on board.

There are some exclusive rum distilleries in Nassau, Bermuda and Jamaica.  Admittedly, I’m not a rum connoisseur, but I don’t think they were any better or worse than what you can buy in the U.S.

I am a bourbon fan.  If you can’t find anything like Blantons where you live, and you’re a big bourbon fan, I suggest you do a tour of the Bourbon trail in KY.  I’ve done it several times and have enjoyed myself each time.

ANY Blanton’s bottle can be had in the U.S. at the Buffalo Trace distillery in Frankfort, KY.  If you visit their distillery, you can buy as much as you want and take it with you (subject to transport laws by of your state).

• Like 1

Gulmohar's on St. Maarten sells Blanton. I have no clue about St. Thomas. Straight from the barrel and Gold are only sold internationally, which I assume is why you are looking in the Caribbean instead of in Kentucky, as someone mentioned. Since St. Thomas is technically part of USA, I have no clue if it would be sold there or not.

Good luck to you. Looking for good bourbon in the Caribbean is sort of like looking for the best rum in Kentucky.

• Like 1

You know, I’ve seen Gulmohar’s, but have never shopped there.  Good to know.

@LrgPizza....thanks for the info.  I do agree with you about shopping for Bourbon in the Caribbean.  Not something I would do.  But, the Caribbean is known for their rums.  So, that might be worth a shot.

Like Pappy, I believe Blanton’s is WAY over priced for what you get.  Wondering what would be similar in KY to Blanton’s Gold?

Aside from doing the bourbon trail, I alway shop at this place.....https://thepartysource.com/.

Right next door is this place...

https://newriffdistilling.com/. Excellent bourbons and quite exclusive.

If you can’t get what you’re looking for there, in all likelihood, you have to go to the distillery to get it.

Edited by graphicguy

I've picked up all the versions of Blantons at Golmuhar's.  Last year it was $10 cheaper than I've paid in the States. Brought home 6 bottles of liquor on that cruise and didn't pay a penny in duties in Miami. 

I also picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey 13 year old at Gomuhar's.

AH Risse is located right on the main shopping street in downtown St Thomas. They have  the largest selection and decent prices for liquor that I have purchased over the years. They also sell jewelry, perfume, etc.

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

Gulmohar's on St. Maarten sells Blanton. I have no clue about St. Thomas. Straight from the barrel and Gold are only sold internationally, which I assume is why you are looking in the Caribbean instead of in Kentucky, as someone mentioned. Since St. Thomas is technically part of USA, I have no clue if it would be sold there or not.

Good luck to you. Looking for good bourbon in the Caribbean is sort of like looking for the best rum in Kentucky.

Yea I know they appear on St Thomas in waves so it will be hit or miss. Just have to hope I get lucky as I know a couple friends who have found them but it was a couple years ago. Thanks everyone.

18 hours ago, Pwrmaster7 said:

I have asked this question in the St Thomas forum but haven't received a response and leave in 3 days :). I am looking to buy some fine rums and bourbon/whiskeys sold only outside the US. What are the best places to do so, even if not right near the pier? Id like to do a beach for a couple hours then go shopping for these items on the way back. I am on the Epic from 7-2. I have searched back on the forums, but nothing too recent showed up. Thanks!

There are two or three excellent liquor purveyors at the pier and downtown. I unfortunately don't remember their names but you can't miss them.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, Pwrmaster7 said:

Yea I know they appear on St Thomas in waves so it will be hit or miss. Just have to hope I get lucky as I know a couple friends who have found them but it was a couple years ago. Thanks everyone.

I bought Blanton's for $35 in St Martin last September and you can't find in stores in NKY. Heading back in 11 days to buy more while on cruise. Buying the Gold, SFB and Reserve Blanton's this trip.

St Martin is the place to buy Bourbon. Bought 14 bottles all at half the price in Ky.

We just returned from E. Caribbean sailing on MSC Seaside, and I got off the ship in St. Thomas specifically to purchase Rum. We were docked at Havensight.  There used to be a very cheap liquor outlet right at the top of the streets going away from the ship, but they are now gone. However, I found one right on the main street going away from the ship on the left side.  Got my Brugal Anejo Rum (aged and dark) for $15.00 per bottle, large size.  You can't get it in the U.S., at least we can't here in Florida.  It is excellent.  

3 hours ago, mimi7ccr said:

We just returned from E. Caribbean sailing on MSC Seaside, and I got off the ship in St. Thomas specifically to purchase Rum. We were docked at Havensight.  There used to be a very cheap liquor outlet right at the top of the streets going away from the ship, but they are now gone. However, I found one right on the main street going away from the ship on the left side.  Got my Brugal Anejo Rum (aged and dark) for $15.00 per bottle, large size.  You can't get it in the U.S., at least we can't here in Florida.  It is excellent.  

oh that's my fav.  used to have a coworker who would bring my a bottle everytime he went back to the DR to see his family.     I've seen it in Mass, but it doesn't taste the same...

• 4 months later...

I am late to this party but I also live in Cincinnati.  Blanton's is a very hard to find locally and only available at the distillery on select days and a very limited supply.  If you happen to be there when they put it out, it is limit one bottle.  

We found a liquor store at the pier in St Thomas that sold Blanton's SFTB and Blanton's Gold.  We bought 2 SFTB and 1 gold last year and we so sorry we did not buy more.  

We were very excited to go back this September but Tropical Storm Karen got in the way and we missed that port.  We were very disappointed ( and so were our friends )  We are headed western Caribbean in November but I am afraid there are not any good options for bourbon that direction.  It is going to be a long wait until Nov. 2020 when we will be headed to St. Martin.  

The savings are not there, IMHO. When you consider the very real possibility that a bottle will break somewhere during the trip home, and the weight these items add to what you have to carry, it's just not worth it to save $10 if you even save that much. I would say, look for deals elsewhere than liquor.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:53 PM, Pwrmaster7 said:

Right next to the pier across the street outside gate is the cheapest place. Great deals on cigarettes too. Can’t remember the name but it’s right there.

1 hour ago, salty dingo said:

The savings are not there, IMHO. When you consider the very real possibility that a bottle will break somewhere during the trip home, and the weight these items add to what you have to carry, it's just not worth it to save $10 if you even save that much. I would say, look for deals elsewhere than liquor.

Most of this discussion isn't about savings, but rather about a product not available in the USA.

• Like 1

The Pueblo Supermarket has some deals but a limited selection from the last time that I was there.  It is a little more than 1/2 mile from pier - easy walk.  Kmart is a block down on the same road as Pueblo.  Some deals & limited selection.  AH Riise has a store at the pier and downtown.  I would check both - big selection.  One store is sometimes out of things that the other store has.  Have fun shopping.  Take your time and take pictures of the prices.  :classic_smile:

5 hours ago, luvincruising said:

The Pueblo Supermarket has some deals but a limited selection from the last time that I was there.  It is a little more than 1/2 mile from pier - easy walk.  Kmart is a block down on the same road as Pueblo.  Some deals & limited selection.  AH Riise has a store at the pier and downtown.  I would check both - big selection.  One store is sometimes out of things that the other store has.  Have fun shopping.  Take your time and take pictures of the prices.  :classic_smile:

Some of them have signs to not take pictures.