Solo Cruising

carolynhamblen

I am retired and planning a cruise, probably to Alaska. I'm just beginning to think about the whole process. I have been on 2 cruises before but both were about 20+ years ago so I know things have changed since that time. I really don't know where to begin to get information. The first question that comes to mind is that I am single and really love traveling by myself. When I look at prices they always state prices per person but I know that's not what I would have to pay if I was the only one in the cabin. I have no desire to share a cabin with a total stranger. My question is do any of the cruise lines make accommodations for solo cruisers without having to pay double the rate? I don't mind a smaller cabin as I'm not there to stay in my cabin, just sleep. I'd appreciate any information someone can provide about someone who wants to cruise solo and how cabins are priced in this situation.

If you scroll down to Special Interest Cruising you will find a thread for solo cruisers.  You may find many of your questions already answered there.  If not it would be a good place to post new questions.

Just completed a solo cruise to the Caribbean.  Suggest checking with the cruise line that you are considering. Some lines do have solo cabins otherwise you will pay almost the price for two people (you don’t pay double gratuities or port taxes). Can also depend on the type of cabin you plan to get - solo cabin is not always cheaper.  

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I have been cruising solo since 2010, and I look at the price per day, not the solo supplement. I have a baseline I try to follow, although sometimes I may go over it a bit, if it’s a unique itinerary that I may only visit once.

As Grandma Dazzles stated, sometimes the solo single supplement cabins on certain ships, are more expensive than just paying for 2. For me, I will gladly pay double to have that cabin to myself. LOL

Look at itineraries (Glacier Bay is popular), cruise lines and time of year. Alaska tends to be priced higher, since Alaska cruises are a short season. But if you go early or late in the season, you can find decent deals.

Hi Carolyn

Welcome to Cruise Critic

As Grandma said, most cruise lines will charge double for you being solo in the cabin, less the port charges for the second passenger. While companies such as NCL have single "studio" cabins, you may find that they are often priced higher than paying double for a regular interior. A lot depends on the cabin rate you book with. 

Some cruise lines will on occasion, either have a lower or no single supplement, but not as a general rule, so you will need to do some research. 

It's great that you found this site. If you go to the main "forum" page, and scroll down you will see a section that says "special interest cruising"... under that heading you will see a link for "solo cruisers". Click on that link, read up on what others have been doing, and ask questions about cruising solo there. You will be able to get lots of information there about which cruise lines give you the best deals and when, as well as what others have found and their experiences.

hope this helps

3 hours ago, carolynhamblen said:

I don't mind a smaller cabin as I'm not there to stay in my cabin, just sleep. I'd appreciate any information someone can provide about someone who wants to cruise solo and how cabins are priced in this situation.

There are some cruise ships that have "solo cabins" or "single cabins" that they say have no supplement -- but that's a marketing shuffle because they don't tell you that the no-supplement cabins are priced higher in the first place so there's no need for them to add a supplement.   Sometimes they can be cheaper than paying double in a regular cabin, but be sure to do your due diligence and check on the specific cruise you're interested in, because sometimes it's actually cheaper to pay the extra in a regular cabin than pay for the smaller solo cabin.   And sometimes you can find a cruise you want on sale, where solo travellers don't pay 100% supplement (i.e. double) but a much lower supplement.

I agree you should check out the Solo Cruisers forum.  I have done 4 solo cruises in the last 8 years, and have ones booked in 2020 and 2021. 

3 hours ago, carolynhamblen said:

I am retired and planning a cruise, probably to Alaska. I'm just beginning to think about the whole process. I have been on 2 cruises before but both were about 20+ years ago so I know things have changed since that time. I really don't know where to begin to get information. The first question that comes to mind is that I am single and really love traveling by myself. When I look at prices they always state prices per person but I know that's not what I would have to pay if I was the only one in the cabin. I have no desire to share a cabin with a total stranger. My question is do any of the cruise lines make accommodations for solo cruisers without having to pay double the rate? I don't mind a smaller cabin as I'm not there to stay in my cabin, just sleep. I'd appreciate any information someone can provide about someone who wants to cruise solo and how cabins are priced in this situation.

First off ... yes you would have to pay that per person rate X 2 when you cruise solo.  Now NCL on some ships does offer 'Solo' cabins.  They look AWFUL.  They are expensive.  They are SMALL/TINY/awful.  If you watch some cruises (I know NCL does this on some of their cruises because I have booked 2 like this) the closer to sail date the lower (possibly) the rate and SOMETIMES the solo surcharge is dropped.  I sailed last Sept. 2018 for 2 NCL Cruises back 2 back and paid only 1 price NOT x2 for each of those back 2 back cruises. 

Alaska is a premium location and may not discount their prices.  But it's a wait and watch game.  

Some cruise lines have a single supplement that is lower than 100%, sometimes as a general rule, sometimes on selected sailings. Find a TA who specializes in cruises to suggest one. And don't dismiss the luxury lines. When I first started cruising, I was solo and discovered the best fare for a solo was on what is now Regent, at a 20% supplement. One was even 10%.  That's no longer the case with them, except for the occasional cruise that isn't selling well. But Crystal still offers a low supplement on many  of its sailings, but they only have a couple of ships and don't go to Alaska that often.

8 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

. But Crystal still offers a low supplement on many  of its sailings, but they only have a couple of ships and don't go to Alaska that often.

The Crystal Symphony has Alaska cruises this summer starting June 25 - Sept. 17, most leaving from Vancouver. I'm booked on the last one as a solo and paid 130%.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved to cruise solo and did so 3 times to Alaska.  May and Sept are the cheaper months as they are considered the start and finish of the season.  Also in the early part of the 2 months the kids are still in school. I love kids just not on my cruises.  As others have said there are single supplement cabins to be had on either N.C.L. or Carnival ( I forgot which one I checked the last time I thought about booking. And that was for Glacier Bay ).  I hope you get to go, you will have a wonderful time.  Go to the Alaska thread for all the info you need on the Alaska cruise info.  Happy sailing.  

Premium lines tend to charge less than double for a solo supplement.  On Cunard for example it's 75% in their standard staterooms.  About the only time one will get a price break on a solo supplement is when a sailing isn't selling very well.  The business model not only counts on two people sleeping in a cabin but also two people spending money in the spa, shops, and bars. 

I suggest that that you try some online mock bookings and see what price you get.

You only mentioned cabins, but there is dining to consider as well.   Some lines still have fixed dining where you can ask to be seated at a large table and thus have dining companions.  NCL has no fixed dining at all only "free style" dining.  Social extroverts would have no problem with this but others who are more reserved may find a difficult to find company for each and every meal.  Of course if you are somebody who prefers to dine alone and read your Kindle then that is a non-issue.