How do you clean reusable straws?

trout96

I don’t clean paper towels and reuse them. I don’t erase pages of writing to reuse the paper. I don’t clean coffee filters to reuse them. I don’t clean garbage bags to reuse them.

Some things really should be disposable. Straws go in your mouth, probably the most disgusting place on your body, except for maybe your face. If you’re going to reuse a straw, you better be VERY sure that it’s clean. 

So what kind of stuff do we clean for reuse and how do we clean them?

- Clothes are washed in a washing machine with special detergent.

- Eating utensils are washed in a high temperature dish washer with special detergent.  

- Medical equipment is sterilized with high temperature and spectral sterilization machines, in addition to special detergents and antimicrobial solutions.

Notice how all of them require resources that you don’t have on the ship for cleaning your reusable straw. Your straw will become a petrie dish.

So how do you clean your reusable straw? You put it in your dishwasher. At home. Off the ship. 

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

In order to ensure that particles, acidic drinks, and mold is removed from the interior of your straw, you need to have a [set of] cleaners. Splashing water and soap won't clean the inside of the straw. 

image.png.a7169d76ef2dae62580b32e6838fa699.png

Those cleaners get disgusting, too. Really, a dishwasher is the only way to go. 

4 hours ago, slugg said:

Some things really should be disposable. Straws go in your mouth, probably the most disgusting place on your body, except for maybe your face. If you’re going to reuse a straw, you better be VERY sure that it’s clean. 

So what kind of stuff do we clean for reuse and how do we clean them?

- Clothes are washed in a washing machine with special detergent.

- Eating utensils are washed in a high temperature dish washer with special detergent.  

- Medical equipment is sterilized with high temperature and spectral sterilization machines, in addition to special detergents and antimicrobial solutions.

Notice how all of them require resources that you don’t have on the ship for cleaning your reusable straw. Your straw will become a petrie dish.

So how do you clean your reusable straw? You put it in your dishwasher. At home. Off the ship. 

What do you do with your toothbrush while on a cruise?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, slugg said:

I use disposable, single-use ones. 

you are not being green,  the world will end in 11 years because of you, we must shut down the whole world economic system in order to get you stop this practice.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Newleno said:

you are not being green,  the world will end in 11 years because of you, we must shut down the whole world economic system in order to get you stop this practice.  

I am being sanitary. I don’t want noirovirus, small pox, or ebola. Economics should take second place to the well being of the people. 

They sell  cups that come with a  reusable clear  plastic straw that fits in an opening on the

top. You can wash these out with hot soapy water and let air dry plus you can easily see inside to see

if anything yucky is growing. That said, don't know if you can get something like that clean enough

in a cruise ship bathroom sink. We do bring a small container of antibacterial dish soap with us

to wash misc. things but still.....

10 hours ago, slugg said:

It's a wonder I'm not dead, since I've never had a dishwasher in my life.  Newsflash: Dishes can be washed by hand with dish soap. I hope your head doesn't explode.

Edit:  Oh, crap. I didn't realize it's our resident troll who posted that before I responded. You got me again. Enjoy!

Edited by LrgPizza
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LrgPizza said:

It's a wonder I'm not dead, since I've never had a dishwasher in my life.  Newsflash: Dishes can be washed by hand with dish soap. I hope your head doesn't explode.

Some people clearly have a healthy immune system. It’s a kind of selfish approach; they should be more sensitive to the immunocompromised passengers on board that are more susceptible to noirovirus. It’s not all about individuals; it’s about the big picture. We’re all in this together when we go cruising. 

At home - I clean them the same as the rest of my flatware/dishes...

Rinse/wash in sink then into the dish machine they go...

I don’t attempt to carry a reusable straw  on a cruise...

Either the ship provides a single use straw for my smoothie or I’ll use a spoon.