Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

2 hours ago, IScubaSlo said:

Is there a fee for the Medallions? If so how much?

my husband does not own a cell phone so can I put his info on my phone also for his Medallion?

There’s no fee for the Medallions which comes with a free lanyard & holder.  Other types of holders (wrist bands, necklaces, clips) are available to purchase when ordering the Medallion or onboard.  I purchased 4 aftermarket clips on Amazon for much less than 1 through Princess which worked for me.

I don’t have an answer to your other question because both of us have cell phones.

C97357D3-26E7-4DBF-B8C9-C88E9249A1D4.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, IScubaSlo said:

my husband does not own a cell phone so can I put his info on my phone also for his Medallion?

If you are talking about doing his initial Ocean Ready registration, then yes. 

Other than that, no cell phone is needed for the OM experience unless you want to order drinks to be served to you or if either of you want to gamble using a phone. 

5 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

If you are talking about doing his initial Ocean Ready registration, then yes. 

Other than that, no cell phone is needed for the OM experience unless you want to order drinks to be served to you or if either of you want to gamble using a phone. 

You need the app if you want to locate shipmates or communicate using the chat function.  We used that as well as WhatsApp on our current cruise.

8 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

You need the app if you want to locate shipmates

Nope. Not at all. Completely wrong and misleading. Locating shipmates can all be done using the Shipmates function at any of the Ocean Compass screens located throughout the ship. The only thing needed is the OM device itself. 

or communicate using the chat function. 

We used that as well as WhatsApp on our current cruise.

The poster’s question involved her husband not having a cell phone. Discussions involving the chat function, WhatsApp, Skype, etc are completely superfluous and serve only to confuse the poster and the issue.

• Haha 1

Hi All - a couple of questions:

• what about the muster station that was on the cards?  I have not seen a comment here that says it is imprinted on the medallions.
  • could the 'watch adapter' that Amazon sells be used with a chain to turn the medallion into a pendant?
  • I haven't cruised Princess in over a decade - if they're expecting folks to use all of these apps on their smart devices, are they providing charging stations around the ship for us to be able to use their apps, or do we need to lug both the device and a portable battery in order to be able to buy drinks all day/night?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as my cruise gets closer - Aug. 19 to Canada/Greenland.  I'm less worried about waterproofing than others 😜!

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, mjliss said:

• what about the muster station that was on the cards?  I have not seen a comment here that says it is imprinted on the medallions.
  • could the 'watch adapter' that Amazon sells be used with a chain to turn the medallion into a pendant?
  • I haven't cruised Princess in over a decade - if they're expecting folks to use all of these apps on their smart devices, are they providing charging stations around the ship for us to be able to use their apps, or do we need to lug both the device and a portable battery in order to be able to buy drinks all day/night?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as my cruise gets closer - Aug. 19 to Canada/Greenland.  I'm less worried about waterproofing than others 😜!

Thanks!

I knew there'd be more as soon as I hit 'submit'!!

• I see a lot of mentions of needing to 'take out' the medallion from a number of ways to hold it - what about if it is in the lanyard they provide?  Do you have to remove it from there as well?  If it is in a bracelet/watch-type holder, can you not just turn your wrist upside down to put it on whatever reader they have?

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, mjliss said:

• what about the muster station that was on the cards?  I have not seen a comment here that says it is imprinted on the medallions.  Nope, no Muster Station info on the Medallion. Simplest way is to remember it from the graphic on the back of your cabin door.
  • could the 'watch adapter' that Amazon sells be used with a chain to turn the medallion into a pendant? FWIW, Princess do sell "adapters" that allow you to use the disk in a nice pendant. $$$ though. I just leave the disc in the plastic case that came with it and leave it in my pocket, just like the old cruise card.
  • I haven't cruised Princess in over a decade - if they're expecting folks to use all of these apps on their smart devices, are they providing charging stations around the ship for us to be able to use their apps, or do we need to lug both the device and a portable battery in order to be able to buy drinks all day/night? You don't HAVE to use the apps, of course. By default the Medallion is no more than the old Cruise Card. In any case, AC plugs for your phones are in the cabin and all over the ship, so there's no shortage of places to charge your device.

Thanks!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mjliss said:

I knew there'd be more as soon as I hit 'submit'!!

• I see a lot of mentions of needing to 'take out' the medallion from a number of ways to hold it - what about if it is in the lanyard they provide?  Do you have to remove it from there as well?  If it is in a bracelet/watch-type holder, can you not just turn your wrist upside down to put it on whatever reader they have?

Thanks again!

The default "offering" at check in is the Medallion, a small clear plastic case a bit smaller than a cruise card (though thicker) and a lanyard. I use it the same way as the old style cruise card. If you have it on a lanyard, or a pendant, or on a wrist, you simply have to be able to put it on a reader for it to register. We found that actual "reading" of the Medallion by the crew varied by circumstance. Getting on and off  the ship, it was a scanner pad that glowed green when it read the disc. In the bars and restaurants, very often they simply asked you your cabin # and didn't need the disk at all, or they took your Medallion away and scanned themselves.

• Like 1

On the Regal in May.

Sometimes the wait staff scanned our medallion.

Sometimes they asked for our room number.

Sometimes they addressed us by name.

Sometimes, none of the above.

Once I overheard the waiter address the next table by name - my wife's name.

This was in spite of having the neighbors medallion on his tray and my wife 2 meters away from him.

I am not sure who got the biggest surprise.

The detailed account only tells you where you spent money and the date but not what you purchased or the time so it is very difficult to keep track of any rogue purchases.

15 hours ago, mjliss said:

Thanks!

Perfectly summarized by PMGS247:

On 6/10/2019 at 6:40 PM,  PMGS247 said:

It's just a ship card in a different shape....

BTW, we’ll be on the same cruise. 

Edited by Ep010835

Is Booking Number: and Journey Reservation Number the same on Ocean Compass?

Trying to activate the Ocean Compass and not able too.

Ocean Ready works just fine.

Also, is there an easy way to exit the app?  

Thanks....

On 6/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, cruiserdru said:

It is my understanding that Ocean Compass only works when you are on the ship.

Problem solved with latest app fix. 

In this release you'll find: 
• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
In addition to logging in with your Ocean™ account and adding your Reservation, you will now be able to log into the app features by using your First & Last name, Stateroom Number, and Date of Birth, to unlock the best ship experience.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, olegna said:

Problem solved with latest app fix. 

In this release you'll find: 
• Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
In addition to logging in with your Ocean™ account and adding your Reservation, you will now be able to log into the app features by using your First & Last name, Stateroom Number, and Date of Birth, to unlock the best ship experience.

Just attempted to add my November reservation number to both Ready & Compass but neither app recognized our reservation.  For our late April 2019 cruise on the Royal it didn’t recognize our reservation number until about 6 weeks prior to sailing.  Compass wasn’t available until boarding the ship.

So it appears to be the same thing for our November cruise & it’s too early to accept our reservation number.

Although one thing I’ve learned from our previous experiences & from family cruising with us...the implementation of the system lacks standardization.

10 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Just attempted to add my November reservation number to both Ready & Compass but neither app recognized our reservation.  For our late April 2019 cruise on the Royal it didn’t recognize our reservation number until about 6 weeks prior to sailing.  Compass wasn’t available until boarding the ship.

So it appears to be the same thing for our November cruise & it’s too early to accept our reservation number.

Although one thing I’ve learned from our previous experiences & from family cruising with us...the implementation of the system lacks standardization.

from the limited amount I understand ... if you go into your cruise on the Princess website using personalizer ...

a Ocean Medallion symbol will appear on the "check in" page signifying that Ocean Ready is available ... mayble

1 hour ago, Notonboard said:

Has anyone been able to load their reservation for the Sky Princess in the Ocean Ready App?

We're on one of the  first Sky trips, this November. Until the OM logo replaces the checkmark in the Guest Check-in tab in the Personalizer against your specific trip , you won't be able to load it into the Ocean Ready app. The appearance of the OM icon is the sign that your trip is now "Ocean Ready" I think you'll find it's still to early for any Sky trips to be OR

image.png.a0640bc067a422cc0015b0d30c505be6.png

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We're on one of the  first Sky trips, this November. Until the OM logo replaces the checkmark in the Guest Check-in tab in the Personalizer against your specific trip , you won't be able to load it into the Ocean Ready app. The appearance of the OM icon is the sign that your trip is now "Ocean Ready" I think you'll find it's still to early for any Sky trips to be OR

image.png.a0640bc067a422cc0015b0d30c505be6.png

Like this...

IMG_0817.PNG

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, FollowingTheSun said:

On the Regal in May.

Sometimes the wait staff scanned our medallion.

Sometimes they asked for our room number.

Sometimes they addressed us by name.

Sometimes, none of the above.

Once I overheard the waiter address the next table by name - my wife's name.

This was in spite of having the neighbors medallion on his tray and my wife 2 meters away from him.

I am not sure who got the biggest surprise.

The detailed account only tells you where you spent money and the date but not what you purchased or the time so it is very difficult to keep track of any rogue purchases.

I noticed on our Regal trip in early June that the LOCATE function was generally accurate, but unable to pinpoint exact spot.  Such as being off one cabin, sometimes two.  Pretty close in theater, MDR, public spaces.  Sometimes would be "stuck" with a prior location until registered again. 

IDK what threw waiter off.  We only ordered our free drinks each with Ocean Now.  Never used it for drinks again.  Ocean Now is not loaded with all drinks and there is no customization as of now.  What I did was speak to the bar person and ask if I ordered a certain cocktail, could he make it something else instead.  It wasn't a problem.  For my wife, they did come to the table she was at, but she had momentarily stepped away and that caused momentary confusion.  

On 6/10/2019 at 11:40 AM, PMGS247 said:

You can't "opt out" and have them issue you a cruise card instead if that's what you mean.

You may opt out. I did. After a few days of minor annoyances with the medallion, I got a cruise card at Guest Services. I found it much more convenient to use - and it doesn't require any accessories.