Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

13 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

WhatsApp.  Facebook.  Nope.

IDK what your reference base is for that but if a passenger is on Medallion Net which was the context, then these apps work.  On the ancient internet ...no.  On a ship with the three package levels of unlimited which is not Medallion then you have to have the top package to use these apps.

24 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I use WhatsApp regularly on Princess.

Wife uses FB regularly on Princess. 

We don't support FB, or anything to do with FB (WhatsApp is FB), so will have to find another way.  We'll work it out.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Repeates said:

Are we still able to see where our daughter is on the ship with her medallion, even though she won't have a purchased wifi package on her phone?

Yes. She doesn't need wifi or a phone for the Medallion to get picked up on your phone or on the portals around the ship. My hubby didn't have either and I could find him just fine.

IMG_4653.PNG.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishLassie said:

Does Princess automatically mail you the Medallions or do you have to request them?

You will need to order them on the Ocean Ready App.  confirm your mailing address and any paid accessories if you wish to and the will ship them out a couple of weeks prior.  If you don't order them, they will be waiting for you at the pier.

Not sure if this has already been asked and answered.  I am on the Crown (British Isles July 24) which is the first medallion cruise for the Crown.  I am travelling with my parents who do not have cellphones.  Will the Patter still be delivered to your stateroom or is it only on one of the Apps?

1 hour ago, shopgirl151 said:

Not sure if this has already been asked and answered.  I am on the Crown (British Isles July 24) which is the first medallion cruise for the Crown.  I am travelling with my parents who do not have cellphones.  Will the Patter still be delivered to your stateroom or is it only on one of the Apps?

Patter is still delivered to stateroom.  We always ask for 2 daily to be delivered, as dh and I like to have our own.

23 hours ago, shopgirl151 said:

Will the Patter still be delivered to your stateroom or is it only on one of the Apps?

Be careful of what shows on your phone or tablet. We were part of a group of folks waiting in the Vista Lounge for trivia. When we finally gave up and left we found the trivia going on in Explorers. The Patter had the right location but Princess@Sea had the wrong location. I went back to Vista and told the others who then left.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:03 AM, Host CJSKIDS said:

You will need to order them on the Ocean Ready App.  confirm your mailing address and any paid accessories if you wish to and the will ship them out a couple of weeks prior.  If you don't order them, they will be waiting for you at the pier.

The Medallion is is ionky mailed to guests in the US

On 6/6/2019 at 7:47 AM, steelers36 said:

IDK what your reference base is for that but if a passenger is on Medallion Net which was the context, then these apps work.  On the ancient internet ...no.  On a ship with the three package levels of unlimited which is not Medallion then you have to have the top package to use these apps.

The apps for the Medallion Ships are. Ocean Ready, Ocean View, Ocean Compass and Play Ocean

For those who are concerned with the Medallion and security, I received this reply when asking if a found Medallion would list the cabin number on the look up board.

Dear Mrs. Wigandt,

I received your recent e-mail.  The Ocean Medallion comes engraved around the edge with the guest/’s name and the ship and embarkation date.  It would not be able to do any sort of search for more details about a passenger or be used for onboard services or charges without a PIN.  If you have added questions the crew aboard will be more than happy to assist and in the unlikely event the medallion is lost or damaged it can be replaced aboard.  I hope this information is helpful.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Best regards,

Stephen A. Haase

1 hour ago, pamwigs said:

For those who are concerned with the Medallion and security, I received this reply when asking if a found Medallion would list the cabin number on the look up board.

Dear Mrs. Wigandt,

I received your recent e-mail.  The Ocean Medallion comes engraved around the edge with the guest/’s name and the ship and embarkation date.  It would not be able to do any sort of search for more details about a passenger or be used for onboard services or charges without a PIN.  If you have added questions the crew aboard will be more than happy to assist and in the unlikely event the medallion is lost or damaged it can be replaced aboard.  I hope this information is helpful.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Best regards,

Stephen A. Haase

His statement “without a pin” is interesting. I hope this means they’ve added a “challenge” to the process of using the OM device. 

On our last OM cruise the limitation came in the form of someone finding your lost OM device then using it on Ocean Compass to first find your cabin, then to get directions to your cabin then finally using it to enter your cabin. 

Without a “challenge” of some sort, e.g., password, facial recognition, PIN or something, we are all vulnerable in the event of a lost OM device. I spoke with one of the Navigators who said they were aware of the issue and were working on a solution. Perhaps the PIN  Mr. Haase mentions is their solution. Hope so. 

2 hours ago, pamwigs said:

The apps for the Medallion Ships are. Ocean Ready, Ocean View, Ocean Compass and Play Ocean

I know what the Ocean Apps are.  I believe you missed the context as the other poster I replied to was implying that social apps and communication apps such as WhatsApp don't work with Medallion Net and of course they do.

3 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

His statement “without a pin” is interesting. I hope this means they’ve added a “challenge” to the process of using the OM device. 

On our last OM cruise the limitation came in the form of someone finding your lost OM device then using it on Ocean Compass to first find your cabin, then to get directions to your cabin then finally using it to enter your cabin. 

Without a “challenge” of some sort, e.g., password, facial recognition, PIN or something, we are all vulnerable in the event of a lost OM device. I spoke with one of the Navigators who said they were aware of the issue and were working on a solution. Perhaps the PIN  Mr. Haase mentions is their solution. Hope so. 

It would be interesting to hear from someone currently on an OM ship to see if this issue has been resolved. On the Royal just a few weeks ago, a "found" Medallion could absolutely be used to locate, then access, any cabin without the use of a PIN. Hopefully the software update to resolve this security flaw is forthcoming.

43 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

It would be interesting to hear from someone currently on an OM ship to see if this issue has been resolved. On the Royal just a few weeks ago, a "found" Medallion could absolutely be used to locate, then access, any cabin without the use of a PIN. Hopefully the software update to resolve this security flaw is forthcoming.

We’ll be on the CB next month. I’ll report back if we don’t have a definitive answer by then. 

On 6/5/2019 at 3:33 PM, IrishLassie said:

This might be a silly question, but do you have to use Medallion?  I'm very confused about the whole thing!!!  LOL 

You can't "opt out" and have them issue you a cruise card instead if that's what you mean.

You don't have to do ocean ready ahead of your cruise, nor do you have to use any of the phone app based functions.  If you choose not to do these things it will work exactly like a cruise card. For check-in you will bring the standard documents/boarding passes and they will issue you a medallion rather than a card.  Like the card you will then use as a room key, your method of payment for on-board purchases, and it is required to scan anytime you board or get off the ship.  It's just a ship card in a different shape....the only thing I can think you would notice and not be able to ignore is that your door will unlock without you having to dig it out.