Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

On 4/16/2019 at 7:35 AM, Asquare said:

Our security type photo is horrible...mugshot looking...no glasses, hair off the face.  I hope they can see both photos and get a good laugh on our behalf...we don't look like the same people.  

The security photo will be that pic off your passport

On 4/16/2019 at 8:13 AM, PrincessE said:

I just disembarked a back to back on the Royal Princess 3/30-4/13.  When we were on our way off the ship, walking by the closed gift shops, etc., a crew member was standing there with a small tablet. I didn't think anything of it.  As I'm passing by he says, "Have a safe journey home, Erica".  I wasn't expecting it and therefore didn't hear it, but my husband did.  He tells me as we've passed by - that crew member knew your name.  It kind of freaked me out.  LOL  And it wasn't a bar tender or another member of the wait staff that might have gotten to know me during our two weeks onboard.  So there's that!

The Medallion will allow Princess to be more personal with guests. There are so many exciting things you can do with the different apps. We can't wait to experience it in Oct on the Crown

51 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

The security photo will be that pic off your passport

Add an avatar. If you do, that’s the image which will appear on the screen at your cabin door, the Ocean Compass screens you pass by and so on. 

I’ve saved a cardinal for my wife’s avatar and the King of Rock and Roll for mine. 

Edited by Ep010835
  • Like 1

Now the Ocean.com website is rejecting my password. My browser saves login information so it's not user error. I hope this whole medallion thing works WAY better on the ship than the set up has worked.

EDIT: Resetting the password doesn't work. The new password is rejected as well. 

Edited by Curtis Newton

11 minutes ago, Curtis Newton said:

Now the Ocean.com website is rejecting my password. My browser saves login information so it's not user error. I hope this whole medallion thing works WAY better on the ship than the set up has worked.

You are using the correct password, right?

This PW is different from the one used to log into Princess.com

2 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

You are using the correct password, right?

This PW is different from the one used to log into Princess.com

Yes, correct login info was confirmed. Checked Chrome's password settings. 

"We can’t find an account matching those credentials, please try again."

Edited by Curtis Newton

43 minutes ago, Curtis Newton said:

Yes, correct login info was confirmed. Checked Chrome's password settings. 

"We can’t find an account matching those credentials, please try again."

Might be worth a call to the Princess Ocean Navigator line if you haven’t already tried them. 

I’ve found them to be very helpful. 

5 minutes ago, exbrit1941 said:

What do you do if you do not have a smart phone?

You'll get your medallion at check-in and use it the same way you've used a cruise card in the past.  You won't be able to use any of the smartphone app functions like drink delivery or the games but you'll still get the functionality of your cabin door automatically unlocking as you approach rather than having to do anything to unlock it, and you'll be able to use the people-finder for your travel companions on any of the public interactive screens around the ship.  Without a phone it's basically just a cruise card in a different shape that scans rather than swipes.

We will be receiving our Medallion at the port and will not be using our phones or ipads or the apps.

if we do not want our names  or images to appear upon entry to cabin is this something we would request at check in?

Edited by ehogan
Correction
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ehogan said:

We will be receiving our Medallion at the port and will not be using our phones or ipads or the apps.

if we do not want our names  or images to appear upon entry to cabin is this something we would request at check in?

You can totally control the image. You can use anything you like (within the bounds of propriety). Your security photo is like your passport photo but the image you choose to be "you" on all other things is up to your personal choice. If I ever manage to do a medallion cruise I'm considering using Godzilla. :classic_laugh:  I don't know that it is possible not to have your name appear but, in theory anyway, it - and your chosen image - should only appear when you approach the door to open it.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ehogan said:

Truly no difference whatsoever with the pre-medallion experience.

On non-medallion sailings your name is printed on piece of paper and posted near your door.  

Similar to removing the piece of paper with your name(s) on it, with Medallion I suppose you could tape a piece of paper across the screen which displays your name(s). Regarding the photo, as has been pointed out endlessly, your photo(s) need NOT be displayed on your door screen or any other public screen on the ship. 

Use an AVATAR. I like Thrak's idea of Godzilla.  

On 5/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, cruise4mom said:

I have contacted princess regarding this and this is their response. 

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Guest Medical Support.  

Please always carry your identification card.  In an accident, your I.D. card will tell the people helping you that you have a pacemaker.  Please also travel with a letter from your doctor stating your use of a pacemaker and present the letter to security staff.  This will allow them to utilize a wand/pat down rather than having you walk through the metal detectors.  For future voyages, no need to send us this information prior to sailing.  

In regards to the medallion and your medical equipment, at this time there is no indication of affect on implanted medical devices. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks cruise4mom, that is very helpful. 

I've downloaded to my iPhone the programs needed for my Medallion, and been "Ocean Ready" for weeks.  Suddenly today my  "Ocean Ready" is incomplete.    The section titled "Add required documents for travel" now says, "You may need a visa for entry."

I believe this is due to the fact that our ship will stop in Russia, and a visa is mandatory to go ashore.     We have already booked to take a Princess excursion, the visa is included in the excursion price, and the system should know it.

I'm curious as to whether this issue balances out before we embark next month.   Has anyone experienced similar?

So, I'm also having issues with Ocean Ready. I had everything done, really no problem at all, and the next day the travel documents disappeared. So I entered them again, and it looked good, but a couple hours later it said I wasn't Ocean Ready anymore, and the travel docs needed to be added. When I went to add them AGAIN, I could see that they were still there. The info was correct and there was the picture of the passports. Ditto for the Ocean website, it said we needed travel docs, but when you looked the passport info was there, with picture. I could click on the edit button and click save, but when it came back it still said additional docs were needed. And the "DONE" button was grayed out. 

I believe the thing about "you may need a visa" is a standard thing that is always there, it's just informational. My trip is Alaska/Canada. No visa required from USA.

Is this just a stupid glitch that I shouldn't worry about? Does it just fix itself on its own? This thing seems to be half-baked.

Edited by beerxtaco

1 hour ago, beerxtaco said:

....I believe the thing about "you may need a visa" is a standard thing that is always there, it's just informational. 

As mentioned earlier, I was green light "Ocean Ready" up until yesterday, and the the visa IS required to go ashore in Russia.

No hurry, no worry... just a curiousity.   All will be fine.

Just now, redlac said:

As mentioned earlier, I was green light "Ocean Ready" up until yesterday, and the the visa IS required to go ashore in Russia.

No hurry, no worry... just a curiousity.   All will be fine.

I get what you are saying, but mine has the same thing on it. I was also green light "Ocean Ready" yesterday. It's frustrating when things just don't work the way they are supposed to. For all I know it will be back to Ocean Ready tomorrow. :classic_rolleyes:

And just like that, I checked the app again and everything is back to normal. I am all green checkmarks Ocean Ready. The passport info is there, it's correct, I can edit it if I want, all is well. 

Oh and it still says I may need a visa for entry, but I stand by my claim that they tell everyone that. In your case, you really do!

5 minutes ago, beerxtaco said:

Okay regarding profile pictures. If you change them while onboard, does it update immediately and change the picture on your door?

Yes it does.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:16 AM, jkpooh said:

How much do the medallion accessories cost?  Especially the bracelets?

Some photos of options posted on a Cruise Critic Princess forum thread...bracelets are $60 & $65.

BDFE280B-D01D-4769-B398-01C1A4BFCA7A.jpeg

2E67CE78-8ED8-401C-BF03-9560F0AEFC47.jpeg

BE010467-F722-451B-9379-8E6E9AEB1F33.jpeg

2EF2B496-2454-46B6-B82E-D242D4C2A706.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have booked a B2B2B cruise next year.   It started with one cruise and as we found the same cabin available on the next cruise, we kept asking ourselves "why not"?

With all of the medallion and ocean ready issues cited in this thread, and with three separate cruises, we are leaning toward just showing up at the pier on embarkation day with our proper paperwork and get our medallions there, and let Princess figure out how to handle the two turnaround days.

We seldom get in a big toot with embarkations, so a few extra steps that day instead of sucking up time before the cruise with a wonky app will be worth it.

Any downsides to this approach?