Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

3 hours ago, goldfada said:

You may opt out. I did. After a few days of minor annoyances with the medallion, I got a cruise card at Guest Services. I found it much more convenient to use - and it doesn't require any accessories. 

I did not opt out but mine didn´t work anymore on day 4 and I got a cruise card.

steamboats

20 minutes ago, voljeep said:

no phones required .... just use it like your previous cruise card

The best description yet was from a poster who said the Medallion is just a cruise card with a different shape. 

NO phone required.

Optional only if one chooses to use their phone. 

38 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

The best description yet was from a poster who said the Medallion is just a cruise card with a different shape. 

NO phone required.

Optional only if one chooses to use their phone. 

That’s it...my embarkation process and going on/off in ports weren’t any faster with the OM and by automatically unlocking my cabin door it might have saved a couple of seconds.

Anyone here under 30-years old have a review or comments about the Medallion?

I just uploaded the application and it all seems fine with the exception that my loyalty status is incorrect.  The Princess Rep advised me just now that they have a system issue and to just wait awhile for an update.

I am really interested in hearing from the under 30-folks for their input.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:12 AM, Ep010835 said:

On 6/11/2019 at 11:12 AM, Ep010835 said:

Can you turn the locator off? What if I don't want anyone to bother me when I am resting?

29 minutes ago, klugh said:

Can you turn the locator off? What if I don't want anyone to bother me when I am resting?

Who are you talking about bothering you? Crew or your those with whom you are cruising? 

Serious question.  Each scenario has a different answer. 

Question for the experienced folks.  Just booked a Panama Cruise for 2021 aboard the Emerald, which should have the Medallion by then.  I want to confirm, as I've seen through the posts that you can get a cruise card if your medallion isn't working or you don't like it.  Can you also just get a cruise card and still use the Medallion?

I haven't taken as many cruises as many of you have, and I've kept my cruise card from every cruise.  Wondered if the Medallion would work if you requested a cruise card.  I didn't check all the posts, so if this has been addressed please forgive me, and give me a rough # of post to start at.

Thanks.

Counting down the days, and there are lots of them!

3 minutes ago, Fuzzyape said:

Question for the experienced folks.  Just booked a Panama Cruise for 2021 aboard the Emerald, which should have the Medallion by then.  I want to confirm, as I've seen through the posts that you can get a cruise card if your medallion isn't working or you don't like it.  Can you also just get a cruise card and still use the Medallion?

I haven't taken as many cruises as many of you have, and I've kept my cruise card from every cruise.  Wondered if the Medallion would work if you requested a cruise card.  I didn't check all the posts, so if this has been addressed please forgive me, and give me a rough # of post to start at.

Thanks.

Counting down the days, and there are lots of them!

I think the medallion is a much cooler memento than a cruise card. It is personalized with your name and sailing date, just like a cruise card, but it's a more compact form factor.

I am fascinated and creeped out by the technology, but found it way more convenient than a cruise card. 

27 minutes ago, HotBranch said:

I think the medallion is a much cooler memento than a cruise card. It is personalized with your name and sailing date, just like a cruise card, but it's a more compact form factor.

I am fascinated and creeped out by the technology, but found it way more convenient than a cruise card. 

Thanks HotBranch.  That's helpful.  That's what I liked about the cruise cards.  So if the medallion has that information it would work :).

35 minutes ago, Fuzzyape said:

Yes, if you get a cruise card while your medallion is functioning then they will both work for the duration of the cruise.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzyape said:

Thanks HotBranch.  That's helpful.  That's what I liked about the cruise cards.  So if the medallion has that information it would work :).

The added bonus (IMO) is that the wait staff rarely have to take your medallion away to process a drink order. They usually have the reader/receiver on their person, so you rarely lose sight of your medallion, as opposed to a card, that has to be swiped at the bar. I am always nervous that I'll forget my card somewhere, the medallion has a little more heft, and I think I only handed it over once during my entire sailing.

15 hours ago, HotBranch said:

The added bonus (IMO) is that the wait staff rarely have to take your medallion away to process a drink order. They usually have the reader/receiver on their person, so you rarely lose sight of your medallion, as opposed to a card, that has to be swiped at the bar. I am always nervous that I'll forget my card somewhere, the medallion has a little more heft, and I think I only handed it over once during my entire sailing.

The cruise cards have RFID and are recognized by all electronic readers on board. There is no more swiping; the cards do not have magnetic strips.

17 hours ago, Fuzzyape said:

...... I've seen through the posts that you can get a cruise card if your medallion isn't working or you don't like it.  Can you also just get a cruise card and still use the Medallion?

I must have around 30 cruise cards. I suppose I collect them and I also wonder about that. I suspect any replacement/substitute card for the Medallion will be rather utilitarian and might not look like what I am used to seeing. Time will tell. I hope someone can answer our questions.

17 hours ago, Fuzzyape said:

9 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I must have around 30 cruise cards. I suppose I collect them and I also wonder about that. I suspect any replacement/substitute card for the Medallion will be rather utilitarian and might not look like what I am used to seeing. Time will tell. I hope someone can answer our questions.

They look exactly the same as the old cruise cards except that they're lacking the magnetic stripe and the signature space on the back.

25 minutes ago, voljeep said:

the medallions make nice fridge magnets ... not stuck in some drawer ... j/s

The oldest Medallions I have are from 11/2018. The magnets are still strong enough to stick to the refrigerator door. 

I wonder if the devices contain permanent magnets or electromagnets. If the latter, one day the battery will deteriorate enough that the magnet will die. 

There was a thread where someone disassembled one of the devices but I don't remember what kind of magnet was found within. 

7 hours ago, goldfada said:

They look exactly the same as the old cruise cards except that they're lacking the magnetic stripe and the signature space on the back.

Good to hear. I bet many folks will want a card to add to their collection. I wonder how long it will be before Princess starts charging for that card? <g>

6 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Good to hear. I bet many folks will want a card to add to their collection. I wonder how long it will be before Princess starts charging for that card? <g>

Please touch your medallion to the sensor to pay for the card...

Princess: 1, Irony 0