Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

I have had a pacemaker since 2010, so have gone through this type of info. I know to clear the automatic doors quick, and what does not affect my pacemaker versus what airport security scanners do to pacemakers.

To answer the question what does the pacemaker and magnet in the Medallion do to each other.

This question was not answered.

I will go to Princess customer service.

12 hours ago, jamesnnb said:

We had our first encounter with the Medallion on the Royal recently.  Worked well, didn't receive prior to the cruise, opened the cabin door each and every time, was recognized at specialty coffee stand prior to order, etc.  Only comment I would have is you can't tell one from another (me and my husband) and once getting off in port I must of had his and when I went through security (with card and Medallion), I got "flagged" and ushered over to a third security person at a computer who asked me cabin #, etc. He then told me it was 'ok' to get off and when I asked what the problem was -- he just said everything is ok, you can get off. After that, I would double check our Medallions prior to leaving the ship by stepping out of the cabin and touching it to the screen and it would say whose it was.  We're both Elite and they looked exactly the same to me.  Will they always require both the card and the Medallion when getting off?  

Ours has our names on them.  It is very small print so maybe you are unable to read it.  The names are across the top.  

2 hours ago, sashas_mom said:

Ours has our names on them.  It is very small print so maybe you are unable to read it.  The names are across the top.  

If you get them ahead of time .... the ones that you get at embarkation do not have names on them UNLESS  you go to PSD to have them engraved according to the 800#

Edited by Ombud

54 minutes ago, Ombud said:

If you get them ahead of time .... the ones that you get at embarkation do not have names on them UNLESS  you go to PSD to have them engraved according to the 800#

When we got ours in October at embarkation on the CB without going through the app first they had our names engraved on them. In fact Ocean Medallion had not rolled out completely, we got a card, lanyard and medallion, I'm expecting the same when we get on with you in July hopefully.

Edited by CCFC
Missed a bit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm not sure that is correct information.  On our Jan 2019 Regal sailing, everyone had their names engraved on them when they picked them up at check in.  Due to a snafu, mine wasn't there and I got it 2 days later but our friends had their names engraved on them as well as the date and ship.

48 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I'm not sure that is correct information.  On our Jan 2019 Regal sailing, everyone had their names engraved on them when they picked them up at check in.  Due to a snafu, mine wasn't there and I got it 2 days later but our friends had their names engraved on them as well as the date and ship.

All I am doing is repeating what the 800# told me. Didn't sound right but that's what they said

just discovered that we didn't actually "order" our OM's to be mailed ... for our cruise on 5/14 we have until 5/2 at 6:59pm eastern time to go back into the Ocean Ready app and make the order ... 12 days is cutoff date to order the medallions to be mailed - to US addresses

4 hours ago, CCFC said:

When we got ours in October at embarkation on the CB without going through the app first they had our names engraved on them. In fact Ocean Medallion had not rolled out completely, we got a card, lanyard and medallion, I'm expecting the same when we get on with you in July hopefully.

Getting my flame retardant suit on ~~~~ ok, ready ....

I understand the benefit to Princess for cruisers to get their medallion ahead of time (less employees needed at check in) but what is the benefit to me (elite) if I can get an engraved one at the pier?

Edited by Ombud
Frustration with adding journey

we board in 2+ weeks on the CB in FLL/PE

what is the process for boarding with or without the OM from the time we leave the parking garage by terminal 2 ... we are "ocean ready" and may or my not have the OM's mailed to us

we are super fortunate to be in a suite for our very first ( and maybe only ) time if that make any difference ...

we don't really need to 'rush' on the ship to book anything ... but will still prolly be in the parking garage by 10:30 since we are driving down the night before - also a first for us

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I understand the benefit to Princess for cruisers to get their medallion ahead of time (less employees needed at check in) but what is the benefit to me (elite) if I can get an engraved one at the pier?

Less time to check in

8 minutes ago, Curtis Newton said:

My wife ordered medallions for both of us. The Ocean Ready app confirms the order was placed one month ago but is showing "Not yet shipped". Anyone else have this much of an interval between ordering and shipment? Cruise is in 21 days.

Thanks.

When they are shipped from China it only takes 3-4 days.

I would say keep checking.

Most likely be shipped a week or so out.

1 hour ago, Curtis Newton said:

My wife ordered medallions for both of us. The Ocean Ready app confirms the order was placed one month ago but is showing "Not yet shipped". Anyone else have this much of an interval between ordering and shipment? Cruise is in 21 days.

Thanks.

I ordered ours a couple or so weeks ago for the 5/14 sailing. The app confirmed the order immediately.  Received an email that acknowledged the order and assigning a number for it on the 19th. Yesterday I received an email saying the package was on the way. Using my FedEx account I tracked the package and found that it had been shipped from Palm Garden FL and was actually being held at the local FedEx because delivery instructions were that it is to be delivered on Monday!! So Monday we should have the Medallions. 

Don’t know if our experience is typical or not but in the event that it is maybe you can get an idea of when you should get your order # email. 

Edited by Crzn-Life

I dug mine out (from 3/30-4/6 Mexico on The Royal) and indeed our names were there!  We got them at check in (not before) and didn't see/check for names.  So, yes your names are on them if you don't order/receive prior to sail away date. Sasha-Mom was right!  Just needed to look.  🙂

2 hours ago, Curtis Newton said:

Thanks.

I ordered mine 75 days out. The order confirmation says it will be mailed 15 days before the cruise date.

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

they will ship the remaining to one to the pier and they arrive engraved.  If for someone reason one isn't there for a cruiser, they are then engraved on the ship later and delivered to the stateroom. The people at check in don't have the ability to engrave anything. 

The only benefit is that you wouldn't have to check in if everything was done on your Ocean Ready app and could therefore walk right onto the ship.  At least that's how it supposed to be in theory. 

On 4/16/2019 at 4:12 PM, AF-1 said:

Let me try and calm your fears.  I have been on Caribbean Princess with full ocean medallion. It is a nice system; right now it seems like a novelty since everyone is getting used the the technology. There were some bugs when I was on board in Feb. I could order food and drinks with my phone app. I do not think you can order a latte from int'l cafe and have it delivered to a bar somewhere else.  If you are sitting in the piazza and order a latte the watistaff can find you.  If you order a drink by the pool they waitstaff will find you.  Does is speed up the boarding or disembarkation process?  It may be a little faster than using your cruise card.  With the medallion you walk by the detector and the screen turns from blue to green and dings; same ding when you put your cruise card in machine.  There is no machine and all security personal have ipads;  the biggest hold up I noticed was on boarding day. Some people had their boarding pass but did not have a security photo to go with the medallion.  Everyone needs a security photo;  I read above that some people don't like their security photo.  You can change it in the ocean ready app up to the time you actually order your medallion;  once your medallion has been ordered you won't be able to change security photo until you get on board.  You can take a new one when you board.  The security personal are there with their ipads and can take a photo.  Any more questions let me know; I will be glad to help.  I enjoyed using the medallion; I enjoyed the digital touch screen by all the elevators.  

Hello -

Keep reading "when you order" the Medallion.  We will be on Crown in late August for British Isles and I read that the Crown is getting Medallion in July?  Personally, I hope not since I am not very tech-oriented and want to "disengage" from what I use on a daily basis.  But, does the Medallion have to actually be ordered?

Thank you.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, Denali2003 said:

Is it possible to NOT carry your phone around with you?  I'm on vacation, I don't want to be staring at my phone all day / night.  Can we still get the paper Patter?  DH & I like to read it while having breakfast.  We don't want to be sitting there staring at our phones.  The paper Patter is just easier.  Just open it and, viola, there's the whole day.  I know you can get the same thing through your phone, but I'm old fashioned and prefer the paper version.

I'm with you.  :)

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 6:35 PM, richmke said:

Medallion is free. If you don't order it in advance, you pick it up when you check-in/board.

It replaces your cruise card. You are not tied to your phone. The Medallion provides your location information to the ship so certain Ocean Apps can "enhance" your cruise experiences. For instance, you can order drinks from your phone (and they know where to deliver the drink), or locate other people in your party. Your choice if you want to carry your phone for those features.

You will need the Medallion to unlock your cabin door, charge stuff to your account, and get back on the ship after a port day.

> If they want everyone to have one why don't they just ship them out automatically? 

If you are not expecting the Medallion, you might leave it at home. It also gives them the opportunity to upsell you one of the medallion holders. You also have to complete the check-in process in order to have it shipped to you. So, if you don't complete the check-in process, no Medallion in advance.

This answers a question I had.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, kewpie said:

Is it mandatory to use the medallion? What happened to the old way with a card?

Yes it will be unless you have a medical reason, like having a pacemaker. The medallion replaces the card for all uses.

Heerrree we gooo😎 .

1.We are leaving in 40 days on the Caribbean Princess    Tried to set up  the medallion today. ..no luck. I was on the phone with tech for 1 hour and 45 minutes, finally I said email me when you have it all sorted out. Really ?? My time is just as valuable, still have not received email confirming a fix. Not recognizing our booking is the issue.  My guess is Princess will not call or email me back.... and now I  get a  notice there is a  raise in gratuities. Good thing I pre paid😎 

Hi

What happens if my phone stays at home? I don't have a US phone and don't want to pay to have access to my phone in the US. We will be in FLL for three days prior to our cruise. We have never traveled with our cell phones. We will be on CB in June.