THANKS TO ROYAL CARIBBEAN

We started cruising with Royal Caribbean in the nineties. Over the years  much has been written  both pro and con on different matters that have  occurred. We were booked on the Oasis  for April 9th and experienced the cancellation  along with the 14th. & the 21st TransAtlantic. This time Royal  stepped up and went beyond their requirements. We have already received our 100% refund for the entire purchased price including  taxes, insurance , and non refundable deposit.  Also in the offer was a  full amount future  cruise credit  ( less taxes)  on  future cruise which we have already used  for the Harmony. This kind of response to a   problem that arises  shows the kind of Customer service  that  other lines can use as a bookmark.  We  want to express our   concern for all the people  that missed that special week, such as weddings,1st cruisers, anniversaries,   etc.  but there will be another  sometime in  your future .

Thanks again Royal Caribbean for stepping up and doing the right thing.                   

Bob & Nancy  The Villages, Florida       71 cruises and counting

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Much the same experience for me.

One phone call to UK centre to cancel Med B2B and one email to royal guest services.

Both cruises fully refunded, flight costs refunded and FCC received which has been applied to Adventure in September.

Two weeks from cancellation to full refunds is, IMHO, pretty well organised.

Pete

• Like 2

We were also on the April 7 Oasis sailing and I think Royal Caribbean handled this as well as could be expected.  Like you, we've received all of our money back and already booked a future cruise on Harmony.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, villager70 said:

We started cruising with Royal Caribbean in the nineties. Over the years  much has been written  both pro and con on different matters that have  occurred. We were booked on the Oasis  for April 9th and experienced the cancellation  along with the 14th. & the 21st TransAtlantic. This time Royal  stepped up and went beyond their requirements. We have already received our 100% refund for the entire purchased price including  taxes, insurance , and non refundable deposit.  Also in the offer was a  full amount future  cruise credit  ( less taxes)  on  future cruise which we have already used  for the Harmony. This kind of response to a   problem that arises  shows the kind of Customer service  that  other lines can use as a bookmark.  We  want to express our   concern for all the people  that missed that special week, such as weddings,1st cruisers, anniversaries,   etc.  but there will be another  sometime in  your future .

I am glad that it all worked out for you.

Unfortunately, many people might not have an opportunity to take a cruise again. They could’ve been sailing with loved ones who will no longer be here, it might’ve been a honeymoon, their work restraints might cause them not to be able to sail,  family situations may change, people might not be able to absorb some of the non-refundable airfare or hotel costs.     I can’t imagine the disappointment of those who had to cancel a cruise that they may have been saving for several years to be able to take. 

Those of us who are fortunate to have taken many cruises, and/or have travel  flexibility can more easily deal with  the travel cancellations.   

M

• Like 2

The Cruise Refunds came in rather quickly, and the cruise planner items for one of the staterooms was also immediate but...

I have to admit to getting frustrated over the last couple of days but as of last night the final refunds for the second stateroom cruise planner purchases finally posted to my credit card. 

Now if they would just have a good sale so I could get my upcoming cruise planner purchases at the same prices as I had for April 14th.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Unfortunately, many people might not have an opportunity to take a cruise again. They could’ve been sailing with loved ones who will no longer be here, it might’ve been a honeymoon, their work restraints might cause them not to be able to sail,  family situations may change, people might not be able to absorb some of the non-refundable airfare or hotel costs.     I can’t imagine the disappointment of those who had to cancel a cruise that they may have been saving for several years to be able to take. 

Those of us who are fortunate to have taken many cruises, and/or have travel  flexibility can more easily deal with  the travel cancellations.   

M

Oh the disappointment was there (I cried) whether this was your first cruise or in our case our 10th.  This is the first vacation I had been able to take in over two years.  Thankfully I was able to rebook but going from 12 days to to 60 days was a bummer.

To the OP, thanks for sharing your experience.

Very happy it worked out for you........................

I really don't know how I personally would react to this situation that has impacted so many if it ever happened to me.

I can only hope and pray that all eventually get the vacation of a life time.

Safe travels.

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger

Totally agree with the first posting on this subject. We too were on the Oasis (TA for us). Royal were clear in terms of advice, timing of what people would receive and how much. For us, they totally delivered and deserve credit for easing the pain of this crisis which was totally out of their control.

That said our travel agent tried to screw it up for Royal by trying to hold onto the refund money for two weeks longer than they needed to and after royal promised it would be paid.... took some crowbarring out of them...

47 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

Agree with you😀.  We were booked on the TA and the cruise following on May 5 and even though we are in that category of being fortunate to have taken many cruises and having flexibility, it was still extremely disappointing as this was something we were really looking forward to.  

Royal has done a really good job of getting refunds credited and issuing our FCC.  They also allowed us to cancel the May 5th cruise without penalty, again issuing refunds in a timely manner.  We have been very happy with the entire process🙂.

Sherri🙂

Thanks OP for the positive post. Too many people come here to complain about (in their opinion) all the bad things that RCI does. I think RCI really went beyond what they needed to do with this. They have given what amounts to a 200% refund for something that was out of their control.

• Like 2

Although we have now (as of this morning) finally received all that we are due as a result of the cancellation of the Oasis TA, as someone being from the UK having to contact RCI overseas, I found that was a challenge.

The initial FCC were totally incorrect and had to be resent, but that wasn't a concern, just an annoyance, as we were not re-booking a replacement sailing with RCI (we have no flexibility in our vacation days at such short notice), these FCC's will be used for a later date (2021 possibly due to plans already in place with other cruise lines for 2019-20).

Obviously RCI cannot be held responsible for the time taken by financial institutions to credit people's form of payment, so they did their part in a timely manner in my opinion.

I feel justified in always dealing with RCI direct as others using a UK based TA have experienced delays in receiving their refund monies. Some still haven't been refunded at this time.

I also feel justified in using RCI shore excursions as again, these were refunded in full, whereas others may not be so fortunate when using outside companies.

3 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Agree with you😀.  We were booked on the TA and the cruise following on May 5 and even though we are in that category of being fortunate to have taken many cruises and having flexibility, it was still extremely disappointing as this was something we were really looking forward to.  

Royal has done a really good job of getting refunds credited and issuing our FCC.  They also allowed us to cancel the May 5th cruise without penalty, again issuing refunds in a timely manner.  We have been very happy with the entire process🙂.

Sherri🙂

Thanks Sherri, hadn’t considered those being able to cancel the May 5 cruise without penalty. Glad it worked out. 

M

6 hours ago, villager70 said:

If you are retired and have nothing else to do it will work else it just sucks! 👎🙄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SadmanCruiser said:

Much the same experience for me.

One phone call to UK centre to cancel Med B2B and one email to royal guest services.

Both cruises fully refunded, flight costs refunded and FCC received which has been applied to Adventure in September.

Two weeks from cancellation to full refunds is, IMHO, pretty well organised.

Pete

I heard EU cruisers got taxes included in the FCC. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I heard EU cruisers got taxes included in the FCC. 😉

No we didn’t. Cruise fare only, less any C&A balcony discount. Our cruise fare was £1455 plus taxes and pre paid grats. Our C&A discount was £137 so our FCC is for £1318. No taxes.

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

No we didn’t. Cruise fare only, less any C&A balcony discount. Our cruise fare was £1455 plus taxes and pre paid grats. Our C&A discount was £137 so our FCC is for £1318. No taxes.

Interesting, obviously not an authority, but read on the Oasis drydock thread that per EU regulations, since taxes are not broke out, they would get an FCC for the full price.