Little Amuse Bouche in MDR on Gala night

Despegue

In a different live report by our esteemed contributor Kazu, onboard the equally esteemed Prinsendam, it is mentioned that on gala-nights in the MDR, a small “Amuse Bouche” is served

before the appetizers. ( example, Watermelon gazpacho in a small glass).

I have not seen this on any of our cruises on HAL on Gala Nights, but have to admit that we were Anytime dining up to now.

Has anyone seen this nice little touch recently? Is this a Prinsendam perk?

On Celebrity, they used to serve a sorbet ( palate cleanser) before the main course on Formal nights. That tradition has also ended I think. Did HAL at one point serve this too?

We had it (watermelon gazpacho) last June in Alaska on the 14 day itinerary in the dining room.  Actually, I think we have had it on 2 different ships.  A nice surprise from our servers.  

Edited by oaktreerb
clarification

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

In a different live report by our esteemed contributor Kazu, onboard the equally esteemed Prinsendam, it is mentioned that on gala-nights in the MDR, a small “Amuse Bouche” is served

before the appetizers. ( example, Watermelon gazpacho in a small glass).

I have not seen this on any of our cruises on HAL on Gala Nights, but have to admit that we were Anytime dining up to now.

Has anyone seen this nice little touch recently? Is this a Prinsendam perk?

On Celebrity, they used to serve a sorbet ( palate cleanser) before the main course on Formal nights. That tradition has also ended I think. Did HAL at one point serve this too?

We had them on our Eurodam cruise in Mar/Apr.  I didn't care for any of them.  Mostly tasted like pureed freeze dried peas.  But, then, none of the food in the MDR was too memorable that cruise.

We had this last year, honestly I don't remember if it was on Zuiderdam in December or Maasdam in April/May. I want to say Maasdam and twice although I think we had three or four gala nights on that cruise. I recall one of the pretizers being good (some sort of smoothie?) and the other one decidedly not so good. Don't remember what that one was though. 

Bring back the cold fruit soups!!!!

Had the watermelon gazpacho, amuse Bouche Rotterdam, Anytime Dining, Gala night. March 31 sailing. Have also had it a few other times in the past couple of years, but not every cruise.    And I also wish they would bring back cold fruit soups. 

8 hours ago, joekerstef said:

Bring back the cold fruit soups!!!!

3 hours ago, imescaping said:

And I also wish they would bring back cold fruit soups. 

Another aye vote from me!

53 minutes ago, Despegue said:

I do think that a daily cold soup is available, but not mentioned on the menu. I would ask your waiter if they have one.

Good idea.  I will ask one of these nights and report back on my LIVE thread.

Gala night again tonight here on the Prinsendam.