Extremely hot pool decking on the Edge.

FireEMT978

PSA for all of you future Edge cruisers.

We sailed on the Edge 3/24-3/31/19.

Be careful on the pool decking. I burned the bottom of my feet extremely bad on the decking.

Full 2nd degree burns across the soles of my feet.

It was hotter than any other deck that I have been on.

And yes, I knew it was HOT, while standing beside the pool.

I just didn't realize exactly how hot.😫😟

• Thanks 1

Wow..

Good to know. I always wear my flip flops  while walking on pool decks( inside and outdoors),  and leave hem near the entry ladder...

Thanks for the very important reminder for adults and children too.

Hope your burns heal quickly.

• Like 1

I was on the Infinity a few weeks ago and would have badly burned my feet if I hadn't hustled back to my seat for my sandals. Luckily my feet are tough from walking around barefoot at home. I usually don't walk around barefoot on deck, but I just went to peek over the rail so didn't put my sandals back on. It was a painful experience. From now on, I will be careful in any 85-90 degree full sun situation.

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to walk on the pool deck barefoot!  There was an issue on another cruise line where someone was going to sue the cruise line because he/she suffered very serious burns on his/her feet.  There's even a sign by the pool deck indicating to be careful, deck is hot.

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to walk on the pool deck barefoot!  There was an issue on another cruise line where someone was going to sue the cruise line because he/she suffered very serious burns on his/her feet.  There's even a sign by the pool deck indicating to be careful, deck is hot.

There was a case on the news recently about some dude in a scooter burning his feet on a Celebrity ship (Silhoutte) and is suing for $6 million.  Also recently (2016) another guy lost a case against Carnival.

I just dont understand how you don't know the ground is going to be blazing hot.  Even around my pool in the summer the light colored concrete is too hot to stand on for any length of time without shoes on.

Edited by TFLG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

A warning sign? On the edge?

Question for the OP, did you consult the ships medical staff?

I did not. I didn't realize just how bad I had actually burned them, until we got home. They had hurt for the rest of the cruise. But, my soles turned rock hard, and had to be removed piece by piece over a weeks time. Almost as hard as a shell.

I really want to crack a joke about your CC name and your experience, but I won’t because it’s not appropriate and not a laughing matter 🙈, Joking aside, I really do hope you’re recovering and as hcat posted above, it would be worth mentioning it either in the survey or dropping an email to X to request a warning on the dailies, similar to the handwashing reminder. At least then it would make others aware of the risk 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villauk said:

I really want to crack a joke about your CC name and your experience, but I won’t because it’s not appropriate and not a laughing matter 🙈, Joking aside, I really do hope you’re recovering and as hcat posted above, it would be worth mentioning it either in the survey or dropping an email to X to request a warning on the dailies, similar to the handwashing reminder. At least then it would make others aware of the risk 😉

I deserve any comments I get. I'm real good about covering my bald head, and my skin from the sun. What got me, was how fast they got burned. I used to wear my turnout gear, and fire boots when I was walking on fire! I guess I forgot to pack them for my cruise.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

I don't think the hot deck is an issue isolated on the Edge.  In my experience decking on ALL cruise ships becomes extremely hot when the sun is out.  

Dah.  You often wonder how people survive?    Why would the deck on the Edge be any different than  most surfaces exposed to sun?   And why would anyone walk around bare foot for any distance?   The furtherest I go is from the edge of the pool before I enter the pool and at that time I am fully wet from  using the shower as requested before entering the pool so it isn’t a issue.  

I wonder if the same also burn their hands on the steering wheel of a car on a hot day when getting in?   Or touching the door handle on their house?

i wonder of the same would also lick the door handle in the winter time when it is below freezing?  .  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• 3 weeks later...