Disembarkation in Ft Lauderdale from Equinox

SoonerDog

Did a search, but unable to locate any info.  Anyone have any idea as to the earliest time one can get off the ship?  Trying to book a flight out of FLL and the best available departs at 9:45, so need to be at the airport around 8;30'ish.  Don't mind handling our own luggage and just walking off if that's an option?

That is an option and you probably can be off the ship around 7:30. I would not risk that early a flight even tho' the airport is only about 10-12 minutes from the port. If you have TSA pre-check that helps a lot. Also what day of the week will you depart? If Sat. or Sun. airport will be very crowded.

• Like 3

How flexible are you? A 9:45 a.m. flight is possible, but FLL on a cruise date is a mad house. TSA pre-check will help immensely, but it's still a risk. I had a cruise come late (noonish) two years ago due to a medical emergency. Most people missed their flights that day. Debarkation from Equinox was smooth in Miami, I suspect is it smooth in FLL also. Visual recognition also speeds things up significantly, but ultimately..... 'how lucky do you feel?". 

Personally, I wouldn't do it without a very solid back up plan.

Is it possible?  Yes, if all goes perfectly.  We have had cruises where disembarkation has been delayed until 9:30 am (rare, but it has happened to us twice, in US ports).  The airport is close, but...……..make sure you have a back-up plan as these days if you miss a flight the next few flights are likely to be fully booked.

So many  people do carry off, it does not save that much time.  If you are in a suite, you'd have a shot at getting off and thru customs first..but still very tight.  I would not even attempt it..

• Like 1

We did carry off from the Equinox last summer.  The line when we got to deck 5 was from the midship on deck 5 through the Ensemble Lounge. We got there 45 minutes ahead of the time they said.  The ship was delayed getting cleared so it was 8 when walk-off started.  By then passengers with luggage tags that would normally have been called between 7:30 & 8 had gone down to deck 5 trying to exit.  It was a madhouse.

We got to FLL at 9:20, bags checked and through security took 25 minutes (TSA pre check). 

Twp months later we did walk-off and were off the ship and in a Uber by 7:30.

14 hours ago, SoonerDog said:

Did a search, but unable to locate any info.  Anyone have any idea as to the earliest time one can get off the ship?  Trying to book a flight out of FLL and the best available departs at 9:45, so need to be at the airport around 8;30'ish.  Don't mind handling our own luggage and just walking off if that's an option?

I think you are playing with fire.  If you get off the ship ok, you still will have to get through the very long security line at Fll.  That airport is a madhouse on the busy cruise days.  [Saturday and Sunday]  I would never risk it.

Rollie

Good idea SoonerDog. You can relax and not worry about all the hiccups that could befall you. Just picture yourself the day prior sitting and stressing about trying to make a 9:45 flight and taking away from the whole point of a cruise and vacation. 

Den

• Like 1

Good  decision!

Because you just never know.

..Sometimes, if possible,  we stay over in Ft Lauderdale for   an extra day/ night...Avoids a hassled rush to the airport for an early flight....b/c you can arrive before any cruisers the next am

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Good  decision!

Because you just never know.

..Sometimes, if possible,  we stay over in Ft Lauderdale for   an extra day/ night...Avoids a hassled rush to the airport for an early flight....b/c you can arrive before any cruisers the next am

I've booked a post-cruise night in Ft Lauderdale and Miami (pre-cruise as well) because I don't have my flights yet for Feb. Once I have my flights, I'll cancel the pre-night I don't need and cancel one or both of the post-nights depending on which airline of those I'll fly (ie: NOT Southwest or that type - Frontier, Spirit, etc.) gives me the best option for time and pricing.

17 hours ago, SoonerDog said:

Thanks Everyone for the advice.  I've managed to book a later flight so all good 🙂

Good choice.  Now you can sit back with no worries.  The stress can age you.

Rollie