Eyes on board glasses?

addie19

Quite frankly I'd  rather puke than be caught wearing something like that, even for the  10 minutes they claim .  Fortunately there are effective alternatives.

But since they have a money back guarantee, there's no harm in trying them.  Id bring a back up remedy, though. 

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4

haven't personally used them, but the concept makes perfect sense.  I did see them being used on a TA cruise last fall.  One day they were being worn by a child, then next morning the mother had them on.  I was confused as to why she would be wearing her daughters glasses.... didn't even realize that they were a motion sickness remedy.  

I'd give them a try, what do you have to lose.  We use sea-bands on the rare occasions that we start to feel queasy. but those would be interesting to try.   

• Like 1

I did buy a pair to check out. $23 total. It's worth a shot to not have to take so much meclizine!

I get very woozy, dizzy, and awful headaches on cruises. Whatever bit of motion sickness I have has progressively gotten worse with each cruise and age. It starts the moment I step on board, I can feel the motion despite being in port. I have trouble on planes more than I've had before too. If I'm looking out the window and the plane is turning or banked then my head starts spinning. I'm really hoping they help the most after a cruise! I have really bad "sea legs" and have to take meds for up to a week after sailing.

Next stop is 15 day round trip l.a. to Hawaii with 10 sea days. Never had that long of a cruise or sea days before.

That woozy feeling is worse for me than the actual nausea.  The wrist bands and meclizine when the seas are bad works. But, it would be cool to not have to take medication. (I cannot use the scopolamine patches.)

I might have to try these when I go to Tahiti.

• Like 1

Motion sickness is is your head. You have total control over it if you want to. It is nothing more than your brain getting confused and you have full control over it if you want to. Do not pay attention to the situation. Think of it as a fun situation. Watch the others that cannot walk straight. Not the drunks. They do not have that problem.  If you are able to see the horizon. Get a fix on it. You can go to sick bay and get dramamine pills if you need to. You can get the patch that goes behind the ear before cruising. They now have acupressure wrist bands. These are nothing more than a smoke screen for you brain. Learn how to ignore it and you will enjoy your cruise a lot more. I was in the NAVY and brought up on boats so I never had that problem./ However my wife did. Very bad. No longer. She beat it and now never complains about the ship moving. A little smile here. She noticed a cruiser with the patch while we were eating. She said. I cannot even feel the ship moving. I replied. We are in port 🙂

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Motion sickness is is your head. You have total control over it if you want to. It is nothing more than your brain getting confused and you have full control over it if you want to. Do not pay attention to the situation. Think of it as a fun situation. Watch the others that cannot walk straight. Not the drunks. They do not have that problem.  If you are able to see the horizon. Get a fix on it.

Oh honey, you can tell me motion sickness is in my head and I can have total control over it when you're the one holding the hair out of my face while I'm barfing into the toilet.  If I make it there in time.

A fun situation - maybe you regard vertigo and nausea fun, those of us who suffer from motion sickness do not.

I'm not sure I'd want to be seen wearing the glasses, but if they help someone, I say go for it.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Motion sickness is is your head. You have total control over it if you want to. It is nothing more than your brain getting confused and you have full control over it if you want to. Do not pay attention to the situation. Think of it as a fun situation. Watch the others that cannot walk straight. Not the drunks. They do not have that problem.  If you are able to see the horizon. Get a fix on it. You can go to sick bay and get dramamine pills if you need to. You can get the patch that goes behind the ear before cruising. They now have acupressure wrist bands. These are nothing more than a smoke screen for you brain. Learn how to ignore it and you will enjoy your cruise a lot more. I was in the NAVY and brought up on boats so I never had that problem./ However my wife did. Very bad. No longer. She beat it and now never complains about the ship moving. A little smile here. She noticed a cruiser with the patch while we were eating. She said. I cannot even feel the ship moving. I replied. We are in port 🙂

I spent 14 years in the Navy (before leaving for the Air Force) and threw up any time we were over sea state four. My first trip was a fishpat off Alaska during crab season. Sea State 7 and I lost 15 lbs in three weeks.

It's not something you can control, which has been proven medically and psychologically. Even with aircrew, they put you through a spin course in which you don't learn to control anything; they just make you so motion sick that you become desensitized to it, but it only last about a year. Thankfully I've never been prone to airsickness and can handle anything in the air. Just not at sea.

Edited by Sean_B
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Sean_B said:

LOL 14 years in the Navy. Not a chance would I wear those.

Get a scopolamine patch if you're worried. Everything else is pseudo-science.

The majority of people who think they have motion sickness, don't.  They have a bit of nausea from traveling, put on a magic band (or glasses) and they feel all better.    Medication works.

15 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Motion sickness is is your head. You have total control over it if you want to. It is nothing more than your brain getting confused and you have full control over it if you want to. Do not pay attention to the situation.

There are myriad scientific studies proving motion sickness is legitimate and not psychosomatic. I'm one of those who is very motion tolerant, have never been seasick and actually quite enjoy a little heavy weather on a cruise.  I do however understand that many others are not the same and would never dismiss their very legitimate problems as being in their heads when the boat starts rocking.

I do have trouble understanding why people who are extreme susceptible to motion sickness still insist on cruising and who might wear goofy glasses along with their wrist bands, Dramamine, scopolomine patches and ginger pills. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, Elaine5715 said:

The majority of people who think they have motion sickness, don't.  They have a bit of nausea from traveling, put on a magic band (or glasses) and they feel all better.    Medication works.

Don't discount the placebo effect.

I think the glasses might be effective beyond any placebo effect because the liquid surrounding the visual fields will move in a manner consistent with the fluid in the wearer's middle ear, largely removing the dissonance between motion seen and motion felt.

Edited by Underwatr

5 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Don't discount the placebo effect.

I think the glasses might be effective beyond any placebo effect because the liquid surrounding the visual fields will move in a manner consistent with the fluid in the wearer's middle ear, largely removing the dissonance between motion seen and motion felt.

Placebos are highly effective.  I can't see the rims of my glasses without focusing on them so I truly doubt effectiveness.  I can lessen my motion sickness by focusing on a still item in front of me sometimes.

On 4/26/2019 at 7:00 AM, K32682 said:

I do have trouble understanding why people who are extreme susceptible to motion sickness still insist on cruising and who might wear goofy glasses along with their wrist bands, Dramamine, scopolomine patches and ginger pills. 

Because even though we have motion sickness, we still want to see the world and are willing to put up with not feeling our personal best all the time.  If there are things that help with motion sickness, that just makes travel easier for us.

Smooth Sailing! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Because even though we have motion sickness, we still want to see the world and are willing to put up with not feeling our personal best all the time.  If there are things that help with motion sickness, that just makes travel easier for us.

Smooth Sailing! 

And not every cruise will have rough seas to make you sick (unless you're really susceptible). I would actually think that being sea sick is more rare than not for most cruises (at least Caribbean. TA and TP from Hawaii, maybe more-so).

• Like 1

After reading this... I can count my lucky stars.....    Yes one get air sick particularly in a small plane.....

and  am not fond of small boats... to that matter a tender.....    But on a ship one is OK....

Until one started cruising .. we have only been on an overnight ferry.... in some pretty rough weather....

Then took a 13 day trip to New Zealand.....   Well 5 metre seas and 60 knot winds across the deck.....

it was a test..... but we were OK....

I sympathise with people whom do get sea sick... like our last trip to New Zealand 1 metre seas and couple of people were have a hard time with rough weather...

Cheers Don

5m seas? We hit 30m seas off Alaska once when I was in the Navy, on a 4000 ton ship. Wasn't a good time and 10/10 would not recommend.

Who gets sick with 1m seas? That's only 3' and you're on a 100K ton ship

1 minute ago, Sean_B said:

5m seas? We hit 30m seas off Alaska once when I was in the Navy, on a 4000 ton ship. Wasn't a good time and 10/10 would not recommend.

Who gets sick with 1m seas? That's only 3' and you're on a 100K ton ship

I do agree 5m seas was not that bad...... 30m would be terrifying .....

But I was serous, these ladies on our three sea day across the Tasman ,with 1m sea ( flat calm )  were complaining how rough is was... and that they were not feeling well.... we did get a bit of 3m seas on the way home... and never saw them again.

Cheers Don