Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

46 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

I like this dome as well, but Icon's needs to be bigger/roomy. 😎

If you look at an Iona ship tour on YouTube, the dome is massive inside. They put on full theatrical shows in there at night as well as having the entire pool and restaurant area. Probably larger than a theater space and I believe it's larger than most of the Solariums on the RCCL ships. 🙂 

On Iona the Sky Dome is the roof of the atrium. The AIDA ships (nova, cosma) and the Costa ships (Smeralda, Toscana) don´t have this kind of roof for the atrium but a closed one with partially an LED screen. The middle part holds the tech stuff for acrobatics. On both lines the atrium is used as a theater. AIDA calls it Theatrium and they don´t have another theater on their ships. Costa calls it Colosseo plus they have a second but small theater. I think the Mardi Gras also has an atrium which is used for shows. As for the Iona I think the Sky Dome is more a waste of space as you can´t use the upper deck for anything else.

On all ships those atrium theaters are nice but it´s really hard to get a place where you can see anything. They have screens all over so the pax can see from the second, third and whatever rows. But if you´re not in the front row it´s really hard to see something.

steamboats

• Like 1

And it continues. Another large block installed forward of the others. Five rows of megablocks now. 😲

EDIT: I don't know if the starboard megablock was also installed next to this one. So maybe 4.5 rows. 😁

📸 Sergey  M 

1777700557_video-June214_Moment8.thumb.jpg.0105dfcf6d5767c107079e105f8e5498.jpg

1326766084_video-June213_Moment6.thumb.jpg.a5c2e2aa030f1f06442a40f5aae60456.jpg

1584682018_video-June211_Moment1.thumb.jpg.f45369a7958b98b28060f6a49182e212.jpg

Edited by Panda Monium
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Panda Monium said:

And it continues. Another large block installed forward of the others. Five rows of megablocks now. 😲

EDIT: I don't know if the starboard megablock was also installed next to this one. So maybe 4.5 rows. 😁

📸 Sergey  M 

1584682018_video-June211_Moment1.thumb.jpg.f45369a7958b98b28060f6a49182e212.jpg

So I figure that the white border at 5 and 7 (visible in image above) continues around the stern of Icon, likely connecting to the border with the ship name. I've seen a block that gives an idea how the border ends near the bow. Different from what we've seen on other ships.

FB_IMG_1652707073146.thumb.jpg.eb3e4972e36bcd0d2b2576aabc86a6fc.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

This really is a fascinating thread. Thanks to all y'all for starting and contributing to it. I'm new to this party and have enjoyed going back through the thread to see the evolution of the ship. 

yes it is fun to read and guess what all is happening at the ship yard.  Over on NCL they had the same thread type for their new ships back in 2018 and 2019.

Still unsure if Icon will be bigger than Oasis class through.  who knows.  And the how many ships in Icon class.  And then what is after Icon.   Always something to look forward to and discuss

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Panda Monium said:

The big opening on the port side.

42114716_video-June214_Moment9.thumb.jpg.967bca8f680a7db1003ec7814b876278.jpg

In the last picture of those three, does it look like they had a bit of a fire? It looks a bit scorched to me just to the left of that white sheet thing near the bottom of the picture.

Edited by omah1975

12 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes it is fun to read and guess what all is happening at the ship yard.  Over on NCL they had the same thread type for their new ships back in 2018 and 2019.

Still unsure if Icon will be bigger than Oasis class through.  who knows.  And the how many ships in Icon class.  And then what is after Icon.   Always something to look forward to and discuss

I can already see that it barely fits in the building pool once the last piece of keel is installed at some point. The building pool is 365 meters long.

Speaking of new pieces, we can't tell when the stern is done - i.e. they have added the aftmost keel & azipod pieces - and if the bow is installed. 

Unlike the mega blocks that soar above the shipyard,  the lower hull sections are hidden in the drydock. 

Another reason why I appreciate the photos and updates by everyone!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Speaking of new pieces, we can't tell when the stern is done - i.e. they have added the aftmost keel & azipod pieces - and if the bow is installed. 

Unlike the mega blocks that soar above the shipyard,  the lower hull sections are hidden in the drydock. 

Another reason why I appreciate the photos and updates by everyone!

That aft keel+azipod section is usually thin (see image below). I've seen a few thin pieces being moved by crane just recently. But they may have also been pieces of a block being built closeby. 😄

901186900_BernardBiger1a.jpg.feb3e27ace1442fa892b8bdf60297092 (1).jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

So far three are planned.But with Royal you never know 😀. Who would have guessed 6 Oasis Class ships.

yes there is a pattern"

Sovereign class - 3

Vision class - 6

Voyager Class - 5

Freedom Class - 3

Oasis Class - 6

Quantum Class - 5

let us not forget Radiance Class as 4 so will Icon be like any of the above.   time will tell

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

That aft keel+azipod section is usually thin (see image below). I've seen a few thin pieces being moved by crane just recently. But they may have also been pieces of a block being built closeby. 😄

901186900_BernardBiger1a.jpg.feb3e27ace1442fa892b8bdf60297092 (1).jpg

Another thin piece on the webcam. 😁

20220623_043334.jpg

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Doesn't it seem unusual for the columns to get larger as they go up and not in line with the ones below?  And the tan colored ones on the left seem huge, unless they are more of decorative wrap around the actual structural column.

190126148_June202022.thumb.jpg.79289248e6e0a9f73f63e112ad7e1286.jpg

Different view of the blocks:

2022-06-22 06-49-17-IMG_6402.jpg

2022-06-22 06-51-45-DJI_0938.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 5:36 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

Icon will be bigger than Oasis class, that was confirmed on May 21 and there are three ships total on order.

As reported by Travel Weekly, the Senior Vice President of Hotel Operations, Sean Treacy, confirmed, “Icon will be the biggest. It launches in the fall of next year and will be the first new ship class for Royal in a decade,” Sean Treacy said. It was further confirmed by a spokesperson for the cruise line, who said: “Icon-class ships will be bigger than our Oasis-class.”

Full article here: https://www.cruisehive.com/icon-of-the-seas-will-surpass-oasis-class-ships-as-biggest-in-the-world/71772

Edited by WheresWalter

2 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Icon will be bigger than Oasis class, that was confirmed on May 21 and there are three ships total on order.

As reported by Travel Weekly, the Senior Vice President of Hotel Operations, Sean Treacy, confirmed, “Icon will be the biggest. It launches in the fall of next year and will be the first new ship class for Royal in a decade,” Sean Treacy said. It was further confirmed by a spokesperson for the cruise line, who said: “Icon-class ships will be bigger than our Oasis-class.”

Full article here: https://www.cruisehive.com/icon-of-the-seas-will-surpass-oasis-class-ships-as-biggest-in-the-world/71772

Bigger by what measurement, though?

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Bigger by what measurement, though?

The biggest cruise ship in the world is all about the GT. All of the Oasis class ships are the same size, they just tweak the GT with each one to make each new one THE BIGGEST CRUISE SHIP IN THE WORLD! 

On 6/10/2022 at 7:37 AM, Panda Monium said:

I have no idea what it is (part of)... 😁

502490705_bridgetease.thumb.jpg.f1b80c8703c1163e8cfa033b3b2b4f22.jpg

On 6/10/2022 at 8:32 PM, Tall-Cruiser said:

Is that thing at the top right corner with the white frame around it possibly part of the bridge wing?

Bridge? 😎

1924257550_video-6.thumb.jpg.9a18b7e34fc104a48abfb6cd6010d40a.jpg

• Like 3