CPAP question.

Anyone here use a CPAP machine? My husband just started using one last week. Our cruise leaves Monday. The thing takes distilled water? We're flying, so are they going to allow us to bring some or are we going to have to somehow get some when we land? But I thought we weren't allowed to bring food/drinks on the cruise. Help!

Just ask your cabin steward for the distilled water and an extension cord.  he should be able to provide them.

in the future, contact special needs ahead of time and request the items and they will be waiting for you in your stateroom.

Steve

Our stewards have been very accommodating when asking for distilled water and have gone as far as assuring we had a cord to use if needed. As an additional precaution, you may want to let your husband know to bring and extra filter, mask, or tube just to be on the safe side. I had a tube failure (fitting) on a cruise once and there is no place to get a new one. Also, you may already know, but he can carry his CPAP on the airplane as a medical device in addition to his normal carry-on at no expense or question. Have a nice cruise. :classic_smile:

Thanks all! Wow, didn't know the cruise would provide that. I'll have to let my husband know. He has been fighting for 2 months with the VA about getting this, and it just so happened he gets it on Wednesday. So we weren't prepared to even have it by our trip. He does have extras...he's just going to bring the whole kit he was given. 

• Like 2

I used the tap water for that week for mine. I wouldn't leave the humidifier home. It may or may not be fine. I can't do dry air or I'll be sneezing all day long, but we're all different. Stop at the drugstore before you leave and pick up a small tube of AYR jelly, it's for inside the nose and is sold near the nose sprays. It may not be necessary but since it's so new to him, it helps if you get nostril irritations and you can't buy it on the ship.

3 hours ago, Crunchymom said:

Anyone here use a CPAP machine? My husband just started using one last week. Our cruise leaves Monday. The thing takes distilled water? We're flying, so are they going to allow us to bring some or are we going to have to somehow get some when we land? But I thought we weren't allowed to bring food/drinks on the cruise. Help!

Cabin steward will provide distilled water and extension cord. When you fly, take the CPAP as carryon. It should have a label that says it is a medical device. I have traveled and sailed with mine for years.

For future cruises write to special_needs@rccl.com in the weeks before the cruise about the CPAP machine.  Royal Caribbean will provide a free gallon of distilled water and an extension cord.

Depending on the ship and class of cabin the extension cord may or may not be needed .  For example, Oasis class ships have an outlet next one side of the bed.  The Enchantment had an outlet close enough to the bed that my wife's CPAP machine's cord would reach to it.

4 hours ago, Crunchymom said:

Straight from questions and answers on Rccl.

One of the best things about cruising is the food! And there will be many dining options available to suit most tastes and preferences. However you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities.

While we have many drink offerings onboard, you are welcomed to bring select beverages onboard.

On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne, as long as one guest is of legal drinking age. Corkscrews will be provided for guests to enjoy their drinks in their stateroom. If guests wish to enjoy their wine or champagne in our dining or bar venues, there will be a corkage fee applied.

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted. 

Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home.

4 hours ago, stevea36 said:

Just ask your cabin steward for the distilled water and an extension cord.  he should be able to provide them.

in the future, contact special needs ahead of time and request the items and they will be waiting for you in your stateroom.

Steve

This!  Do this!

unfortunately, we never remember to contact special needs... and our cabin steward has always provided that night 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, azbaby8062 said:

Does anyone know how to reach special needs department?  I use a C-Pap machine, would like to take care of it before we sail. One less thing to think about.

special_needs@rccl.com

9 minutes ago, azbaby8062 said:

Does anyone know how to reach special needs department?  I use a C-Pap machine, would like to take care of it before we sail. One less thing to think about.

you can email to special_needs@rccl.com

Or you can call or fax

Call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225,  or send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us. Our fax number is
(954) 628-9622.

or fill out a form online. Email is simplest

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

5 hours ago, rasta said:

Either leave the humidifier at home or just use bottled water.  No big deal...distilled is only so there is no mineral buildup in the humidifier tank.

Not good advice...The cabin air is dry....and the ship has no problem supplying distilled water.

• 2 weeks later...

We're back! We actually purchased distilled water the night before our cruise and was able to bring the rest of the gallon on board with us...no questions asked. Also, our housekeeper brought us an extension cord shortly after we asked for one. 

• Like 1