I WISH ROYAL CHANGED

That same carpet and ship design is all about brand identity.  Many are disappointed that Quantum class ships are painted different color and lack the distinctive turret shaped Viking crown lounge. 

As far as food, we cruise 3-4 times a year, usually eat in mdr and are never bored.  

Edited by Baron Barracuda
  • Like 1

We also take land based vacations each year.

blueridgemama-  There are lots of different vegetables, how about they add Brussel sprouts, collard greens, beets, spinach, corn, yellow squash, zucchini, etc.  But they always just have the broccolini and carrots in 150 year after year after year lol.

coloradobue-  We totally agree with you that specialty dining sure declined!!  We no longer will eat at Chops, Jaimie's Italian is just the typical American Italian place, after all, he isn't Italian, its not authentic Italian...more of an Olive Garden.  I have to say 150 kept up its quality though, but so tired of the same menu as well as Giovanni's which is a lot better than Jaimie's Italian.  I see it further declining as their new dining plan will include "eat as many times as you like"...lol.

bighairtexan- I prefer the larger ships, Azamara would consider but they are small ships have to think about that.

hogbay-  If I owned two or three houses you be sure all the carpeting be different colors in each house.  😁

• Haha 1

Lately all cruise line food is uninspired.  Even the specialty restaurants are nothing but over priced chain restaurant menus.  Yet people are over the moon about Johnny Rockets. We got tired of the same old food at home so we subscribed to a meal plan called Plated. We have cooked vegetables that we would have never even considered in the past. Tonight we had dinosaur kale. We have learned to cook some very tasty meals  and it really didn't take too much time to prepare them. The cruise lines could take some lessons from these companies just to keep the menu interesting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coffeebean said:

My culinary repertoire can not compare with all the the variety we can get on a cruise ship. We never tire of the food offered on a cruise ship. We do dine in specialty restaurants quite a bit.

OP, just like this poster says.  Your typical RCI cruiser is mesmerized by mass market cruise line food.  Similar to land based chains like Olive Garden, Applebees, Chilis, Chuck E Cheese, etc...

If you want better food you need to go upmarket to lines like Regent, Crystal, Oceania, etc...

• Like 1

Iamcruzin Those Meal Kits are great especially for people who work, who do not have time to go to the grocery store and to take the time to cook a meal.   They are fresh ingredients, giving you the recipes on how to prepare the meal in pretty much a quick time.  I think they are great.  I haven't tried them myself, but then, I do not work and cooking is my hobby.

Andy C I don't think those upscale cruise lines/ships are for me, the ships are way too small for me but one day I will give it a try. I not saying there is a problem with the quality of the food (definitely a decline for sure) but just saying how come for the past few years 150 Central Park has to only give you broccolini and carrots, why not other vegetables and why not change the menu ever few years?  It just gets too old the same old stuff.

Cruisekap lol

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If vegetables are a major concern why not just ask for a side of cauliflower or another vegetable.  I’ve always found the specialty restaurants very accommodating.

And the MDR, for that matter.  

If the entree I order comes with carrots but another entree that night has asparagus or broccoli, I ask my waiter to add asparagus or broccoli to my order.  

I have a friend who loves Royal's green beans.... the waiter brought out an entire plate of just green beans for the table.  

Another friend loves the Asian pork mini tacos... he ordered three orders of the appetizer as his entree, and the chicken noodle soup from the kiddie menu as his starter.  

The cold strawberry soup starter is a fave of mine... I ask the waiter to hold it for later and serve it as my dessert. 

Life can be as interesting or as boring as you want to make it.

15 hours ago, kylaner3 said:

I have cruised 10 times.  Every time a different RC ship, with the exception of the Liberty, which I will board for the 3rd time this June. I can't tell you what color the carpet is or what color the decor is. I can tell you I have wonderful memories with my family and friends, and new friends that I've made onboard. It's about the experience and the memories for me. That being said, I am always tired of ship food by the end of the week. But that just isn't a priority for me.

Just off Harmony a few back. I could not tell you anything about carpet or pictures. But I think if I went on Harmony again I would remember these things. Don't think it would bother me though. I have had the same carpet and pictures in my house for years. I don't even notice these things any more.

Quantum class generally goes out of the northeast, we don't take cruises from there, we live in Florida and prefer to cruise out of here, but maybe one day one of the quantum class ships will leave from Florida, I certainly give it a try for sure!

4 hours ago, snaefell said:

If you don't want to leave Royal I might suggest a cruise on the Quantum right now,the decor may be the same but all the reviews point to rather different cuisine!

Quantum has been doing Asian sailings the past few years.  Decor and food were modified to suit asian tastes.  Q's sister Anthem sails from NJ and has similar menu to other Royal ships.

I think everyone is different.  when i travel to small towns I am always amazed at what people consider good places to eat :)  Having said that, I am not bored with the decor and such but am also bored with the food.  And i didn't think that the menu change was for the better either.   I do think that this is pretty deliberate and funnels people (people who cruise a lot) into the specialty restaurants.. Which, imho, is a hit or miss.  Izumi is in my humble opinion is NYC lunch grade sushi.  Which is really not much.  Chops is pretty great.  Any vacation is still better than no vacation and any vacation on a ship is still better than a land vacation.  I have not had the opportunity to try other lines but I hope to try Carnival next.  

• Like 1

I'm guessing that RCI never figured they would get people cruising 90+ times on their ships. Perhaps it's time for another hobby. 😉

Then of course there is always the definition of insanity..."doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different result"

Edited by mac66
  • Like 4

We don't cruise for the food.  We understand that they are feeding 3k people and that its all going to taste the same after a few days. We eat most of our meals in specialty restaurants, but like many have said, the quality has declined over the years. 

When we want to reach difficult to reach destinations or just a break from life we take cruises.

When we want to be inspired by the food we go on a land vacation.  

We've tried the big 3 meal kit companies over many months and Plated is the highest quality.  We too have discovered things that we never would have otherwise.  Now they keep their menus relatively healthy and innovative.

As far as the decor, as long as its not neon, I'm good. 

On 4/29/2019 at 3:22 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Its just the decor, but it would be nice to see different colors on each ship.  I do go on other cruise lines, but always come back to RC.  NCL is horrible, Carnival well is Carnival but I am most looking forward to their new ship coming out late next year, I feel its going to blow away the Oasis class ships.  Princess is great also but we prefer to cruise mostly out of Port Canaveral and Princess doesn't use that port.  Its much easier to drive to Port Canaveral than to fly to south Florida, I now live in northern Florida.  I do like variety, the reason why next month we are taking the Carnival Breeze, then come back for the next 2-3 cruises to RC.  

I just don't see how Changing the vegetables would make the meal inconsistant?

Sail Harmony,  the decor is 180 degrees different than Oasis.  

And not in a good way 😉

The food is also not as good, so maybe you'll get your wish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mac66-  Do you realize how many people do cruise more than I have?  I have encountered a number of people who I thought I cruised more when in fact they told me they cruised more than I have.  I will always go on cruises 2-3 times a year, and always spend two weeks in Aruba during the month of July and always take 2-3 other land based vacations a year, cruises aren't the only means of vacation for us.

My original post has nothing to do with the quality of the food, I simply stated that I like to see 150 Central Park finally serve different vegetables.  Why does it only have to be broccolini and carrots over and over for the past many years? Its time to switch the veggies and add different items to the menu too.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

We also take land based vacations each year.

blueridgemama-  There are lots of different vegetables, how about they add Brussel sprouts, collard greens, beets, spinach, corn, yellow squash, zucchini, etc.  But they always just have the broccolini and carrots in 150 year after year after year lol.

coloradobue-  We totally agree with you that specialty dining sure declined!!  We no longer will eat at Chops, Jaimie's Italian is just the typical American Italian place, after all, he isn't Italian, its not authentic Italian...more of an Olive Garden.  I have to say 150 kept up its quality though, but so tired of the same menu as well as Giovanni's which is a lot better than Jaimie's Italian.  I see it further declining as their new dining plan will include "eat as many times as you like"...lol.

bighairtexan- I prefer the larger ships, Azamara would consider but they are small ships have to think about that.

hogbay-  If I owned two or three houses you be sure all the carpeting be different colors in each house.  😁

CP 150 on Oasis had a new menu in February. Have you sailed lately.

Scallop appetizer was awesome. 

20190218_090359.thumb.jpg.86a243915aa9191cef0cf9e9d636a7f8.jpg

20190218_090335.thumb.jpg.eaa603b97c0c604d33f3d54146fa834d.jpg

John & LaLa my wishes have come true!!!!  I am doing the potty dance here.. scallop appetizer and pumpkin soup, pork belly ......halibut, duck for me, my other half the veal and my father in law the lamb Wellington, thank you for showing me this new menu.  The last time we cruises on the Oasis class ship was last late October, we will be back again this October and January coming up.  We strayed away from RC in February and next month but will be back as we always do.  😊

• Thanks 1