How much do you tip your Steward at the end of the cruise (poll)

Sim1979

How much do you tip your Stewart at the end of the cruise (poll)  

378 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you typically tip your stewart at the end of the cruise (Standard cabin - not haven)?

• Nothing - Stewart is already being tipped using the Onboard Service Charges
    • 5$
    • 10$
    • 20$
    • 25$
    • More then that?

Our first cruise was last September and we didn't know what to leave on top of the DSC for sure. We gave him a $20 the first day, another $20 mid cruise and $20 on the last day. He spoiled us, so I'm planning on a similar level on our cruise in a couple of weeks.  

Some people choose to give on top of the DSC while some do not. It really depends on what the cabin steward did for you. Did s/he made your cruise more fun? Or helped you in some ways beside the regular cleanup of the cabin? There are some factors that can make a person give more or less or not to do so.

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If the steward is named Stewart, he was destined to have the job.

If the concierge is named Connie, she was destined to have the job.

If the butler is named Jeeves, Alfred, or Butler, he was destined to have the job.

Therefore, I have higher expectations which makes a tip more difficult to earn.

Haha...the pre-concierge for the Haven that I’ve been dealing with is Connie!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I personally tip $20 and so does whoever I am with (my SO or my sister) for a total of $40. I selected $20 from the options.

That's what we do, too.  

• Thanks 1

In addition to the pre-paid gratuities, we tip $5 a day at the end of the cruise. When we were on a 2 week Viking cruise, we had 2 stewards...the regular one and a trainee. Still just tipped $5 a day. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trex-de said:

Compared to what you tipped before the auto gratuity per day, do you tip differently now?

i am finding we do the same now as we did before the auto gratuity?  I always wonder if the auto is truly going to the employees or another revenue stream for NCL that is put in the big income pot that pays the employees, among other expenses?

We don't look at this way.  

Before the auto-grats it was just to the waiters/steward.

Now not bothered about who/what/where of the Auto Grats system, considering it just part of the Cruise price, and pay it.  

We give a gratuity as a thank you, to show our appreciation to individuals.   It's our way of doing things, and are happy doing it to our value formula, others may have a different view or opinion.  What individuals do on a gratuity subject is down to them.

We normally tip $5/day for a normal cabin at the end of cruise, usually round up to $40 for a 7-day cruise.  We've never reduced the DSC.

Room stewards have told me that they are usually responsible for 15-16 cabins each.  If everyone tipped $5/day/cabin they would get an extra $75-80/day or $2400/month, which would more or less double their wages.

Another way to think about it is that a steward probably spends about 40 minutes a day on your cabin (10 hour day divided by 15 cabins).  So $5/day/cabin works out to an extra $7.50/hour over what NCL pays them out of the DSC.

Edited by havenfan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sim1979 said:

I'm wondering if i'm being cheap or not as i usually leave 10 to 20$

on the standard 7 day cruise we usually give them about that: $20.00 but if they are exceptionally good we may add a littler. Longer cruises of course we give them a little more. We figure on top of what they get from the tip pool about $3 a day is par. With all the other tipping we do, I can't imagine giving them much more. I think $5 would be our max. We also normally tip about $1 to our bar tender for drinks.  

15 hours ago, weskelly said:

I was advised to tip our Steward on Day 1 and that's always gotten us fantastic service. We usually leave $20 on Day 1 and then another $20 the day we leave with a hand-written note/card of thanks.

We do it similarly. I always tip $20 the first day and it has to be in person to enhance the relationship.

I'll then tip another $20 (if service has been at least good) on the 4th or 5th day to reinforce what's hopefully an already good relationship.

1 hour ago, TexasCigarGuy said:

I heard that they are required to toss any cash gratuity into a "pot" shared by other staff. Is this true?

Not to my knowledge. They do in fact share the tips left on receipts though.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

9 hours ago, TexasCigarGuy said:

I heard that they are required to toss any cash gratuity into a "pot" shared by other staff. Is this true?

This is what I have been told by several NCL cabin attendants (although, admittedly, has not come up in the last few years so may not still be the case).  I was also told that if auto-gratuities are removed, they are also requested to verify if they received any cash or not (and reminded that all cash gratuity was to be put into the shared pool).

For a standard balcony we usually tip an extra $5pp per day. For a suite or the Haven, we usually bump it to $10pp per day. This goes for room steward and Butler. Concierge we usually tip less because we book everything on our own and Rarely use them at all.