ALERT & WORD OF CAUTION: SPA SERVICES (long post)

3 weeks ago we returned from a wonderful cruise from the Fascination. My 20th. A great ship too!

We prepaid for a couples massage for my wife and I. While at the spa we upgraded to a twenty dollar hot stone add on. Once we reviewed our sail and sign card we realized the spa charged us for the entire pre paid amount plus the add on. So down to the customer service desk I went (4 times) and was assured it would be corrected and the 207 dollar pre payment released.

Well it wasn't. So on the last evening I went back down and was told it would show up as a credit to our credit card after we competed the sail. Fast forward to today and the pre payment was not refunded. I called Carnival. Was told to call the spa company (a 3rd party contractor). A call to them essentially equated to me being advised to write up a detailed explanation as to why I feel I deserved MY money back along with photos of all receipts and discussions.  Thats the only way they will even entertain considering refunding my pre-payment....even tho they confirmed it was improper. Now, first off, I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get my money back already. Secondly, it is not my job to create a detailed case report to get back my money that this company is holding....Especially when they have all they need in front of them! 

As well, Carnival customer service has everything on file. too...we discussed the detailed circumstances. But because this is a third party agency, Carnival can not process the credit, nor can they force the 3rd party company to refund me.

I asked to speak to the third party companies supervisors and was met with "they will call you back". Upon the call back I was informed by the supervisor that this was a carnival issue, not their issue.  Of course Carnival disagrees deferring to the 3rd party contract situation.     

My next call is going to be with my credit card company, I will just dispute the charge.

It is insane that it takes this much effort to get back my money. A follow up call to the Carnival customer service line was met with "did you read all the details on your ticket contract....it states we are not responsible for 3rd party services on the ship. I asked for an additional review as this lesson has implications for others and I want Carnival to help make it right....I was told I would receive a call back in several days as they review it further.

You have been warned! I will NEVER use their spa services again, and will tell you the 3rd party companies customer service is a complete joke (Stiner Massage & Spa Company out of Miami).  Carnival really needs to do a better review of their 3rd party contractors antics....as for many, these services are seen a Carnival services, not necessarily a 3rd party company.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Razorbakfan said:

3 weeks ago we returned from a wonderful cruise from the Fascination. My 20th. A great ship too!

We prepaid for a couples massage for my wife and I. While at the spa we upgraded to a twenty dollar hot stone add on. Once we reviewed our sail and sign card we realized the spa charged us for the entire pre paid amount plus the add on. So down to the customer service desk I went (4 times) and was assured it would be corrected and the 207 dollar pre payment released.

Well it wasn't. So on the last evening I went back down and was told it would show up as a credit to our credit card after we competed the sail. Fast forward to today and the pre payment was not refunded. I called Carnival. Was told to call the spa company (a 3rd party contractor). A call to them essentially equated to me being advised to write up a detailed explanation as to why I feel I deserved MY money back along with photos of all receipts and discussions.  Thats the only way they will even entertain considering refunding my pre-payment....even tho they confirmed it was improper. Now, first off, I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get my money back already. Secondly, it is not my job to create a detailed case report to get back my money that this company is holding....Especially when they have all they need in front of them! 

As well, Carnival customer service has everything on file. too...we discussed the detailed circumstances. But because this is a third party agency, Carnival can not process the credit, nor can they force the 3rd party company to refund me.

I asked to speak to the third party companies supervisors and was met with "they will call you back". Upon the call back I was informed by the supervisor that this was a carnival issue, not their issue.  Of course Carnival disagrees deferring to the 3rd party contract situation.     

My next call is going to be with my credit card company, I will just dispute the charge.

It is insane that it takes this much effort to get back my money. A follow up call to the Carnival customer service line was met with "did you read all the details on your ticket contract....it states we are not responsible for 3rd party services on the ship. I asked for an additional review as this lesson has implications for others and I want Carnival to help make it right....I was told I would receive a call back in several days as they review it further.

You have been warned! I will NEVER use their spa services again, and will tell you the 3rd party companies customer service is a complete joke (Stiner Massage & Spa Company out of Miami).  Carnival really needs to do a better review of their 3rd party contractors antics....as for many, these services are seen a Carnival services, not necessarily a 3rd party company.

I am sorry for all that time you have spent...that is definitely crazy.

At this point, do a written dispute with your credit card company and send a copy to carnivals financial department also.   Hopefully that will resolve your issue.

I also do not like the spa on board due to it being a 3rd party provider and the intense sales pitch they give you after your services.    I used them once and was so turned off, I never do anymore.

Good Luck

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My husband prepaid for a massage for me as a bday gift. Sure enough I was double charged and had to go to guest services to have it removed. They gave me a half a** excuse that they have to  charge you again and someone from the spa manually goes back and removes the treatment charge but leaves the additional gratuity that isn't charged until the time of treatment. Wonder how many people don't even notice. 

• Like 4

I don’t mean to sound negative, but surprised after 20 cruises you didn’t realize the spa was technically not a Carnival entity. Of course this could be your first cruise on Carnival. Having said that, I would have disputed the charge with my credit card company immediately after getting home. If it couldn’t be resolved on the ship, odds are good it isn’t going to be addressed, which you are unfortunately finding out the hard way. Hopefully your credit card company will straighten everything out...i.e. refund money to you. 

5 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

My husband prepaid for a massage for me as a bday gift. Sure enough I was double charged and had to go to guest services to have it removed. They gave me a half a** excuse that they have to  charge you again and someone from the spa manually goes back and removes the treatment charge but leaves the additional gratuity that isn't charged until the time of treatment. Wonder how many people don't even notice. 

Jax, this is my EXACT thought!   I think this is a ploy as with all the S&S charges and what nots they figure a large percentage of people will forget or ignore it feeling it was resolved.  I was so pi$$ed when i found out the credit never processed even after getting a handwritten note delivered into my cabin from the Carnival customer service manager saying it was resolved.    

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

A good reminder not to pay for goods until they have been received when that is an option. Thank you and good luck.

Yes, my first time doing so after 19 cruises and my last!

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t mean to sound negative, but surprised after 20 cruises you didn’t realize the spa was technically not a Carnival entity. Of course this could be your first cruise on Carnival. Having said that, I would have disputed the charge with my credit card company immediately after getting home. If it couldn’t be resolved on the ship, odds are good it isn’t going to be addressed, which you are unfortunately finding out the hard way. Hopefully your credit card company will straighten everything out...i.e. refund money to you. 

Nope not negative at all....a valid point, I have 20 on Carnival, more on other cruise lines.  Have never used the spa service in any of my cruises so I was ignorant to that fact.  Live and learn!

• Like 3

Thanks for the warning.  I didn't realize they were third party.  I've only used the spa services one time.  It was nice, but the hard sell at the end turned me off to doing it again.  I hope you get your money back.  That's ridiculous that you were told that you would get a credit and it never happened.  They should not tell people something unless they know it will happen.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 3

My sister booked her and I a "couples massage" on the Paradise last month as a birthday gift to me. Since she booked it online, she was charged for it then. It was explained to us after our massages that since the spa is owned and run by a different company, they would have to charge her for the massage and then they would pay Carnival and Carnival would credit her the amount. 

I never heard from her that there were any issues getting her credit. Now you have me wondering! I'll have to ask her. 

15 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

My sister booked her and I a "couples massage" on the Paradise last month as a birthday gift to me. Since she booked it online, she was charged for it then. It was explained to us after our massages that since the spa is owned and run by a different company, they would have to charge her for the massage and then they would pay Carnival and Carnival would credit her the amount. 

I never heard from her that there were any issues getting her credit. Now you have me wondering! I'll have to ask her. 

I would have her check, seems like I am not the only one that this has happened too.   I posted this on the Carnival Cruise Talk FB page, and there are others that this has happened to.

22 minutes ago, Razorbakfan said:

I would have her check, seems like I am not the only one that this has happened too.   I posted this on the Carnival Cruise Talk FB page, and there are others that this has happened to.

I sent her a text and told her about this post. She is going to double check now. I think it kind of slipped her mind. After she got off the cruise, she spent another week in Florida at her dad's. So's she's just getting back into real life mode! 

This happened to me as well on the Horizon in March - I prepaid for a service in February.  They charged the full amount on my S&S but after several calls/days the charge was refunded.  Carnival sells the spa services, it shows "Carnival" on my credit card for the prepaid services - they should stand behind the customer 100%.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning.  I don’t use spa services, but I never knew they were a 3rd party provider.  I think there should be a prominent sign at the spa to that effect and a part of every contract and sales receipt that customers sign. 

• Like 2

I hear people can be called to guest services the morning of debarkation if they owe money and don't have a credit card on file. They are not allowed off until they arrange for payment. What would happen if people who are owed a credit by the cruiseline refused to get off the ship until they have the credit confirmed.   Just sayin

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Razorbakfan said:

Jax, this is my EXACT thought!   I think this is a ploy as with all the S&S charges and what nots they figure a large percentage of people will forget or ignore it feeling it was resolved.  I was so pi$$ed when i found out the credit never processed even after getting a handwritten note delivered into my cabin from the Carnival customer service manager saying it was resolved.    

This reminds me of Ruby Tuesday.  They have a $5 lunch every Tuesday (about 4-5 things that they rotate), and three times in the last six months they have “accidentally” charged full price for the garden bar.  We caught it every time, but I don’t believe it was an accident, and I wonder how many people don’t catch it.  I hate to be treated like I am stupid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geargoesdown said:

I had the same thing happen when I pre bought the spa pass. I prepaid however, I was charged again on my sail and sign account. Had to go guest services and they removed it.    

We also had this issue with spa pass. The spa tried to charge full price on ss card when we had a 20% off discount that was prepaid. I had to go to guest services and it took some time but they finally got it straightened out. I was glad that i took my  paperwork with me to verify the correct price. Luckily we were on a 14-day cruise so it got resolved prior to getting off the ship. 

• Like 1

Ugh. I prepaid for a spa service on Fascination in June. The thought of having to deal with this annoyance is enough to make me want to cancel. I wonder what the official procedure is for pre-purchased spa services.

• Like 2

I've been on several cruises and never knew it was a 3rd party entity. I've never used their services either, so I guess I wouldn't know. I would be frustrated as well! I hope it gets straightened out!

• Like 1

I pre booked a couples massage on our valentines cruise and was also charged for it again. Went to guest services and was told that it would be removed in about 2 days from the s&s card they said that was just the way the spa does it. 2 days later it was still there. Went back to guest services with all my papers in hand. Showed them my receipt for the prepay and the receipt from the spa. The girl at the front desk made copies and gave me a credit on my account. I'm so glad I had all my paperwork and was able to resolve it before we got off.

• Like 1