Travel insurance

I'll also support the idea of giving InsureandGo a look. I've got pre-existing and always go with them. You will have to fill in a pre-existing questionnaire though. I think they advertise that they will insure you to 100.

22 hours ago, Seashore42 said:

Can anyone help with a suggestion of travel insurance for a friend who is on Shanghai to Sydney cruise, she’s 82, and has had a previous attack many years ago but keeps fit and well now.

Try Insure and Go or Australian Seniors Insurance.  I am not sure whether they cover that age though but I have found them extremely reasonable

Insureandgo were really quick to rule me out on pre-existing medical for stents put in 10 years ago and a supporting cardiologist's statement.  This was for an Australia Circumnavigaton.  Covermore is the only company that I have found that will offer cover. Fortunately my TA gives me 20% discount on their prices.

I had stents put in June 2000, and InsureandGo cover me for an extra $60.00 on a 13/14 day cruise, and their price is still cheaper than Covermore.

Edited by Russell21

6 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

Insureandgo were really quick to rule me out on pre-existing medical for stents put in 10 years ago and a supporting cardiologist's statement.  This was for an Australia Circumnavigaton.  Covermore is the only company that I have found that will offer cover. Fortunately my TA gives me 20% discount on their prices.

We have insured with Insureandgo for our last few cruises including two last year. My husband had stents put in 6 years ago and it was about $60 extra for our to cover this.

Leigh

Hi cruisine21. I bet the cruise did not include USA. When I talked to Covermore about the USA with pre-existing they were not the least bit interested. I have never used them since.

4 hours ago, joybook said:

Hi cruisine21. I bet the cruise did not include USA. When I talked to Covermore about the USA with pre-existing they were not the least bit interested. I have never used them since.

Yes have done a cruise from the US and they used Covermore 

It appears Insureandgo have been used by quite a few people over other insurance companies.....just wondering why, as we're looking for a decent insurance policy for our Iceland-Greenland cruise in July.

Thanks

13 hours ago, Cell2200 said:

It appears Insureandgo have been used by quite a few people over other insurance companies.....just wondering why, as we're looking for a decent insurance policy for our Iceland-Greenland cruise in July.

Thanks

We have used them for our last few cruises for the following reasons - 

1. Easy online quote and the pre existing medical part is quite easy to follow

2. Cost

3. Claims settled fairly quickly - we have claimed only once but it was easy and we had no problems

Leigh

You are quite correct. Apart from price, the only real telling points in choosing a specific company are that they cover what you NEED, will honour your claims and process it quickly.

Agree wholeheartedly that the main reason to chose a policy is that it covers your particular needs.

We usually have the standard insurance cover that comes with using certain credit cards, and as far as they go, they have worked OK.....though we are yet to make a claim so maybe speaking too soon....!

On other occasions we have used other companies that insure for specific activities....high altitude climbing etc.

I guess the reason I posted is because I haven't come across Insureandgo before, yet both here and in other places their name seems to come up quite often, so I'm a tad curious as to why, given there are other companies that include cruise packages and pre existing medical conditions with their policies?

Thanks for the replies.

Norm 

On 5/15/2019 at 8:22 PM, cruisine21 said:

Yes have done a cruise from the US and they used Covermore 

Same here, insured with NRMA, they use Covermore, recently returned from cruise plus Hawaii.  I had preexisting conditions and they covered me after an on line assessment.   Using them for next years travel as well, Asia and UK.

Initially I picked Insure and Go as they were the cheapest AND had the type of cover I required.  A lot of them have altered what they cover in terms of natural disasters.  We were in Lombok when the earthquake hit last year, also the week later in Bali.  We were not affected but a lot of people with and without insurance were.  Mostly now I make use of the free travel insurance offered by my bank's credit card, which seemingly offers the same as Insure and Go and any other companies I have researched.  I do not have any pre-existing ailments with the exception of high blood pressure (this doesn't seem to worry any of them and does not increase my cost). Luckily I have NEVER had to make a claim.  For my husband and I the most important cover is for medical and associated expenses.  The rest is all replaceable, although you may be inconvenienced at the time.

An insurance policy for anything is only as good as what the company is prepared to pay. Unfortunately when it comes to the crunch some companies won't pay when their interpretation is different to yours.

Edited by goodjobrob

• 1 month later...

OK still on travel insurance...got a little booklet from our bank - ANZ, yesterday.  Changes to 'credit card complimentary travel insurance through Allianz.   Unlimited claim amount seems to have gone and now a limitation of $25,000 plus a few other changes. Many other banks also now use Allianz, so you might have got advice too.   

$25,000 limit is not much good if you have a real big trip coming up, i.e. like ours next year. I got declined by Allianz anyway, due to pre existing, so going with NRMA-Covermore - unlimited amount of claim.

Forwarded for information.

We have always used our ANZ card insurance but luckily never had to claim.  Concerned now about the previous posts regarding the changes. I have just down loaded the new policy effective from 2nd October and the overseas medical still says unlimited. they do have a new section if they have covered for pre-existing and that also states unlimited.  I now have a pre existing condition so may have to find another insurer.