PERSCRIPTION MEDICINES

hlfrps

Have sailed 35 times, only once on Carnival and preparing for upcoming Sunrise sailing Monday.  In reviewing Carnival's web site, found that medicines need to be packed in their original, labeled prescription containers.  I called Carnival and was sternly told that Carnival is strict about this as they want to make sure their guests do not bring illegal drugs. 

I checked Royal and they basicly have the same comments, but we have never been questioned about our pill organizers and have never taken the original containers.

Two questions:

Has anyone ever experienced being questioned when embarking with bill organizers/prescription containers?

Should have ask representative, but do you think fish oil and calicum count?  Those bottles are very large :)

Just pack everything in their original containers and be done with it.  Fish Oil and Calcium are non-prescription, but should still be in their original packaging.  If you don't comply, you run the risk of having those meds confiscated depending on the agent who screens your luggage.  Better to just follow the rules.

10 minutes ago, hlfrps said:

Have sailed 35 times, only once on Carnival and preparing for upcoming Sunrise sailing Monday.  In reviewing Carnival's web site, found that medicines need to be packed in their original, labeled prescription containers.  I called Carnival and was sternly told that Carnival is strict about this as they want to make sure their guests do not bring illegal drugs. 

I checked Royal and they basicly have the same comments, but we have never been questioned about our pill organizers and have never taken the original containers.

Two questions:

Has anyone ever experienced being questioned when embarking with bill organizers/prescription containers?

Should have ask representative, but do you think fish oil and calicum count?  Those bottles are very large 🙂

You could bring an empty pill organizer on alongside your prescriptions inside the original containers. 

I've done it both ways and was only questioned when I brought them in the original containers. I think that's because there was so many of them. That said, it's safer to bring any that you depend on in their original containers just in case. You never know when they will start cracking down. 

11 cruises with Carnival and carry meds in weekly pill container and never been questioned. I bring along extra as well, just in case. I carry names of prescriptions, pictures and physician info. Never had to show anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hlfrps said:

Two questions:

Should have ask representative, but do you think fish oil and calicum count?  Those bottles are very large 🙂

We have been cruising for the past 15 years, neither the cruise lines or TSA  have questioned us about our medications in an organizer. 

Hi,

We have also traveled for years and years and no one checks how your meds are organized!!

Remember that when you call the 800 number at Carnival you are only talking to sales people who have NO idea at all about anything that happens at security, the port or on the ship!!!

38 minutes ago, cloudninecat said:

was only questioned when I brought them in the original containers.

Who specifically questioned you? why would someone search your carry on? 

Thanks everyone.  thinking of larger suitcase now (6 day cruise-was going with two small ones) that my calcium and fish oil bottle are very large🤣 ,and husband has six bottles to pack.  He would not be able to survive and is the nervous nellie even though for 16 years always used the organizer.  Carnival rep was very insistent and concerned with passengers bringing illegal drugs on their cruise ships.  She verified  the written rules very well for Carnival-can't fault her for protecting her employer.

this has peaked my imagination and wondering what illegal drugs come in pill fashion?

We have our list of meds we carry with us in our wallets.  Taking pictures of the bottles with the pill is good idea, and probably will do so with our upcoming Royal cruises as we have never been questioned either or even seen anyone being questioned.  Course we do take longer cruises and have suit case room..

Also, interested in, if you get picked to inspect, does the rep open the pill bottles, examine all the contents to make sure what is in the bottle is really the correct pill?  Hope they wear gloves and the examining table is sanitary

58 minutes ago, hlfrps said:

Carnival rep was very insistent and concerned with passengers bringing illegal drugs on their cruise ships. 

Obviously someone bringing on illegal drugs would never think of putting  them in a pill bottle labeled as a non-illegal drug.   I can't imagine a screener would know the difference between most pills.  

I assume the majority of you are talking about traveling to the Caribbean or North American ports, so no I wouldn't be too concerned about that except for controlled substances, which I would always take in the original prescription container.

Now if your traveling on exotic vacations, then I would only take pills in the original container and also check the countries restrictions where you are embarking and disembarking.  Some countries even prohibit common over the counter medications.

Edited by mek

In some countries, some of the medication to treat ADHD or even OTC meds that contain things like pseudoephedrine are illegal. (so while it would be ok for you to bring on the cruise, they are still illegal in some places) Customs has books to be able to id medications that aren't in their original bottles, but it can bog down the process. They don't want to make it take longer either. 

It's ok if you choose to bring the pill organizer, but understand that it may make things take longer if you are chosen for an inspection. If you choose to go that route, bring a copy of the original RX and a photo of the bottles - to make things easier for customs and if something happens that someone needed to know exact dosage of everything you're taking. 

I have been to 4 continents and endless countries and have never had customs open my Dop Kit. I have never had a customs officer ask me about prescription medicine. Way too much paranoia on this thread. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coevan said:

Who specifically questioned you? why would someone search your carry on? 

It was when they went through the x-ray machines. They asked me what it was and when I told them they wanted to know why there was so many. I answered its because I take that many, and they let it go. 

8 hours ago, coevan said:

I have never brought original containers. I bring 7 day pill dispenser and never had a problem. I pretty sure it's a suggestion with Carnival not a strict rule.

In 22 cruises we've never been questioned about our 7 day pill organizers & since we cruise 14 days or longer, I have 2 or 3 of them with me.  However, I do bring the little receipt thing from pharmacy in case I'm ever questioned.

9 hours ago, hlfrps said:

Carnival's website can be interpreted 2 ways.  The verbiage says:

"It is recommended that you pack a small carry-on bag with: 

Prescription medications in their original containers"

I can see how that can be read both ways.  It's interesting that they were stern about it over the phone.  They must be cracking down because that goes above and beyond the federal law here in the States.  

10 hours ago, hlfrps said:

Two questions:

Never had a problem with the organizers in over 40 cruises.

8 hours ago, hlfrps said:

this has peaked my imagination and wondering what illegal drugs come in pill fashion?

I work in Emergency Medicine so the subject of drugs of abuse comes up frequently in my day to day work.

There are a few street drugs that can be found in pill form. Ecstasy is often distributed in pills in my area. Heroin can often be found in capsules not unlike Rx or OTC supplements. This makes for easy to transport single dose packs.

Additionally, since legal prescription drugs such as opioids and benzodiazepines are so frequently abused, there is the question of diversion. If, for example, you have Percocet with you, the original prescription bottle can provide proof that it is yours are you are entitled to use the medication as directed. Granted, nobody is going to be stealing blood pressure medication for recreational purposes. However, the argument could be made that the security person searching bags can't tell what is and is not a potential drug of abuse by looking at a pill in a pill organizer. 

full disclosure: I pretty much always travel with my meds in a pill organizer too to save space. So far in the years since I have needed to travel with drugs no one has ever questioned me about it at a security screening point. 

11 hours ago, coevan said:

I have never brought original containers. I bring 7 day pill dispenser and never had a problem. I pretty sure it's a suggestion with Carnival not a strict rule.

It's actually not a suggestion, it's the law. You can have a lot of hassles with customs, law officers and security. When you carry your prescription pills, they must be in the labeled container. That is the only way to identify them and prove they are yours. 

It is doubtful that anyone really looks at the medications at embarkation but on the return there will be search dogs on the ship looking for those who might have bought something questionable in a port. Again, most people will not be subject to any kind of search but I have seen several people taken off the ship in handcuffs. 

11 hours ago, chilly1470 said:

It's actually not a suggestion, it's the law. You can have a lot of hassles with customs, law officers and security. When you carry your prescription pills, they must be in the labeled container. That is the only way to identify them and prove they are yours. 

Negative.  There is no federal law that requires prescriptions to be in their original labeled containers.  

Positive:  A person is not authorized to possess his or her own prescription drug unless the drug is “in the container in which it was delivered by the person selling or dispensing the drug.” 17-A M.R.S. section 1107-A (2), 22 M.R.S. section 2383-B (1).