MITSUGIRLYS FREEDOM OF THE SEAS REVIEW & PICTORIAL

I'm so glad you got to see the beautiful umbrellas in San Juan! We saw them when we were there in October.

Thanks for another wonderful review. I hope you can find an NCL cruise to take. 

Please take care of yourself;  I'm thinking about you and I hope to see you and your family cruising for years to come. 😊

Heather

Edited by SenatorsFan

On 5/5/2019 at 5:44 PM, mitsugirly said:

DECK 4

Boleros

This area was popping during the cruise and it had a dance floor and a latin-theme. I was so mesmerized with the glass sculptures that every time I passed by there I think I was taking a picture. I really didn't take a picture of the area itself. LOL  OOPS

P1011119%20copy-L.jpg

P1011120%20copy-L.jpg

P1011121%20copy-L.jpg

P1032287%20copy-L.jpg

I am so excited that I will be sharing this with my brother, who is an amateur glass artist himself (doesn't have a kiln/oven, so nothing big like this). Also DB and SIL will love the latin-theme; they have taken salsa and other dance lessons. I foresee us spending most of our onboard time here!

I

MITSUGIRLY, I tried to send you a message to ask this but the site won't let me send a message (weird). 

What model camera are you using for your underwater pics? Just curious. I have had great luck with multiple GoPros over the years but it would be nice to have another option if it's small enough.  Great review BTW...We will be on that same itinerary/ship in a few weeks. Thanks! 

Edited by Spike2000

17 hours ago, SuzD123 said:

A nice place to enjoy a beverage while people-watching the comings and goings of the Royal Promenade.

Doesn't the girl in the white sleeveless top at Boleros sipping a drink from a straw look like  Chrissy Metz from "This is Us"? I live in Sarasota, Fl. and ran into her last June shopping in Publix. Had a nice chat with her and her sister. They vacation every year on Siesta Key. Maybe this year they took a cruise. (If it was her)

Thank you so much for another awesome review! I am so sorry to hear about your health and am thinking of you and your family. Just a thought for you. The Escape is headed to Bermuda this summer out of NYC. She is a beauty! The Gem is also headed that way out of Boston. You're right; Caribbean itineraries on NCL in the summer are not great. I always cruise in mid-late November, and I have gotten to some awesome places.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:00 PM, mitsugirly said:

Our Uber arrived first and off we went.

Like always, something always happens to Kendra and the first to arrive couldn't fit everyone. But she eventually made it.

Check in was simple and fairly quick at the Southwest counter. Since Kendra arrived so much later than us, we went ahead and got in the security line while she was in the line checking in her luggage. 

THE LINES WERE FOREVER LONG!!! It took forever. I kept reporting to her as we moved along and told her "You better hurry up. The lines are extremely long and they are taking forever!!!" Then I seen her, Billy and the kids, roll right up to security and immediately go in. UGH! Just like that. We still waited in line a good 20 more minutes and they were already in and on the tram and shopping on the other side. Go figure.... I guess it pays to be handicapped sometimes. 

We were all on the same flight this time. I immediately notice this in my seat....737 MAX 8!!! Yikes! But we were actually on the 737-800 thank goodness! Whew

P4292758%20copy-L.jpg

P4292759%20copy-L.jpg

Goodbye Puerto Rico....until we meet again! We love you!

P4292761%20copy-L.jpg

P4292764%20copy-L.jpg

P4292763%20copy-L.jpg

P4292766%20copy-L.jpg

As we were in the air...my son, Kolin, texted me to say that Sakari's husky, Loki, was sick and throwing up all of a sudden. He had gotten into some poison...weed kill. Oh no! We were in full panic mode all the way home. Loki is Sakari's best friend, it's all she talks about, it's all she draws most days, Loki is life!

Our flight was delayed about 1 hour and this only increased tension and worry. Kolin kept me updated along the way and sent pictures. He was starting to have blood in his vomit. 😞

When our plane landed, we ran to get our luggage and then ran to the shuttle stop, passing Kendra along the way and almost everything is a blur.

We raced to Kolins house, grabbed Loki (he was so weak he couldn't even walk or stand when we came in and let's be honest, he's a husky and they get excited easily) and immediately drove him to the vet hospital. He received IV fluids and several medications and we elected to take him home to monitor him.  He was so bad for 2 days...I honestly didn't think he was going to make it. Sakari swears one day when I was napping that he quit breathing and I woke up to her screaming and crying and shaking him and him not moving. I personally think that his breathing was so shallow that she just couldn't see it but daddy told her that she "saved his life". He finally pulled through it but it was so touch and go for a while. I don't know what would have happened if she has lost him. We would all be lost and we've had enough loss to last us for a long time in this family. After about a full week...he was back to his normal self.

Now who am I supposed to have dog sit when we vacation? I'm sure Sakari don't trust Kolin with Loki and Kolin don't want the responsibility now. Ugh!

But....that's the end of my review.

I hope everyone enjoyed it.

Up next....probably NCL. I have 2 cruise coupons that have to be used up before Feb 20, 2020....only 9 months from now and I have no idea what I'm going to use them on. I haven't sailed with them in some time because I got tired of the same old ports and find a better port selection on Carnival and RC. But, I guess I'll have to start looking again just to use these coupons up. I looks like no summer Aruba land vacation for us this year darn it. 

HAPPY CRUISING EVERYONE!

On 5/19/2019 at 10:00 PM, mitsugirly said:

As we were in the air...my son, Kolin, texted me to say that Sakari's husky, Loki, was sick and throwing up all of a sudden. He had gotten into some poison...weed kill. Oh no! We were in full panic mode all the way home. Loki is Sakari's best friend, it's all she talks about, it's all she draws most days, Loki is life!

Our flight was delayed about 1 hour and this only increased tension and worry. Kolin kept me updated along the way and sent pictures. He was starting to have blood in his vomit. 😞

I have 2 fur babies myself. Why on earth didn't your son take your dog to the vet himself instead of waiting for you to get home? He knew it was poison. You are lucky the dog made it.

On 5/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, WisconsinFan said:

We were in the wall during the downpour, inside the gate. I have enjoyed your review. Thank you for doing it and allowing me to see some things we didn't see- even though we were on the same cruise. Below is the river that ran through the gate during the 30 minute or so downpour.

Inside the gate.jpg

Thanks for enjoying the review.

WOW...when you say "river" you meant it. I can see that happening since the entire street is slopped down to this area. That's crazy!

On 5/20/2019 at 2:04 PM, bunnyette said:

Yes I do...Peter is 21 yrs old!  He’s like our child and I hate leaving him when we cruise.  This type of parrot is pretty independent...so a great choice for us.

Awww, that's so cool. I've always wanted one of those birds.

On 5/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, perfect match said:

Kim, I know you love your beach time, but how about Alaska for the summer? I’m pretty sure NCL goes there. It would certainly be a different experience for you! 

If you want to deal with the cold water, I know that there are snorkeling options in Alaska. Scuba, too, but I’m not sure if they offer Discover Scuba. I also don’t know what ports because I haven’t looked recently and my bookmarks are only in my old tablet. Another option in AK might be dogsledding 

I hope Kolin has secured all of his weed poison and other toxic substances out of reach so no other dog - or kid - manages to get into them ever again! I’m sure Loki’s illness really scared Kolin, and there’s no way he would want to go through that again.

I had considered that too but super expensive of course and I haven't checked out the flights there yet. That's one thing that holds me back as well (the super long flights to be able to go to Hawaii or Alaska).

On 5/20/2019 at 7:35 PM, Getting out there said:

I stayed at Hotel Milano and loved it. I had a room like yours, but with 1 double bed; no trouble with the mattress. Our room looked out the front of the hotel. I liked that the rooms are locked off from the elevator/stairs so people from the resturant can't get to the rooms.

Yea, ours wasn't too bad but Kendra's room looked terrible and old. It served our purpose of a stay for one night though.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:40 PM, BuzzBuzzen said:

I want to add my thanks for your awesome review , it's been a lot of fun. Take care and I hope for the best for you, Cheers, Buzz.

Thanks and glad you liked it.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:53 AM, friskat said:

I rarely if ever comment on your reviews, but I had to this time. Thank you for all of the effort that you put into sharing your cruises, your life and family with us. I've had some land vacations recently, so am cruising vicariously through you. I notice people are mentioning your health and I guess I missed that mention in here. I just want to say that you are in my thoughts and I wish you nothing but the best! Thanks again for all that you do!

Aww thanks so much for the comments. I appreciate it and glad you decided to comment.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:35 AM, ABQrobin said:

Great review as usual.  Glad you get to spend such amazing quality family time with your kids.  Hope your health issues improve, prayers to you.  I have been going through some crap this past 6 months, still trying to get all evaluated and so I know I am in the same boat, so to speak.  

The good news for me is that we canceled our cruise out of San Juan in Sept...because our son who lives in Houston has decided he wants to take a week off work and go on a cruise with us.  yeah!  So, we are doing the Vista again out of Galveston in Sept.  So incredibly happy!  Quality family time, I really need that right now.

So thanks again for the great cruise report!  Take care.  

robin

Thanks so much Robin and same to you with what you are dealing with.

Glad to see you are happy about cruising the Vista again with your son. Quality family time is the greatest.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:24 PM, mechomper said:

Great review again.  I really want to do a cruise from San Juan, but man is it expensive to get there from California.  Someday.  I look forward to your next cruise and all you adventures.  Happy to hear your dog is good.  Dogs are part of the family and we can't imagine life without them.

Oh gosh, I hadn't thought about the pricing from CA. Hopefully some day you'll get to try it. It's amazing.

On 5/21/2019 at 3:19 PM, crystalspin said:

Yikes I hadn't thought of that! We have two cabins booked, so looking at paying for four or five people, although two or three may travel by car to Florida (from Utah) to extend their vacation.

Ours is not until Jan2021, so too soon to start looking for fares.

I hope you have a wonderul cruise in 2021.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:37 PM, SuzD123 said:

Sailed on Freedom in May 2018 with my DD (a girls only get away).  We had tried Sabor on Oasis a few years earlier and left feeling "meh", but decided to give it another try on Freedom.  It had apparently been added sometime during a dry dock in 2017.  Gotta say...it was a totally different experience and vibe than our first experience.  We totally loved it...ordered a mix of foods so we could sample as much as possible.  It was delish and we left STUFFED.  Definitely will have it as a must dine the next time I sail with my DH.  Thank you for the pics and your review!!

It sounds like a great place to eat. We considered it but ran out of time.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, SuzD123 said:

A nice place to enjoy a beverage while people-watching the comings and goings of the Royal Promenade.

Yea, it was the "happening" place to be with a lot of people watching going on there.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

You have mushroom coral in your tank at home?  How cool!!!  I love it!  Thank you about our cat, that was a tough one so the happy memories of Hawaii I wanted aren't the ones I have. 

I normally don't reply to start a chit chat session, I did tell you I had those pictures.  The quality isn't the best since they are scanned prints.  At the time, I took what would have been considered a large amount of film with me (still ended up buying 2 more rolls), so I only have 2 pics to share.  One is of the whole boat, right after we got off and the other is the best I could get from the interior to show the seating/stairs to the second level (there we 3 levels).  That pic was from where we were sitting, which was the bottom level, right side (starboard) & just a few tables back from the stairs.  The bar was just to the left of the stairs and I can't remember now if there was another bar on the middle level.  They actually took us out to a shipwreck to snorkel & there was a platform near the shipwreck that we could swim to and hang out on.  That was in Carlisle Bay, but at the time I had no idea where we were besides Barbados.  There was a rope swing off the left (port) side of it and that was a lot of fun.  We were trying to see how many people we could get on it before the weight of everyone got to be too much and we all dropped off.  Of course they had some great tunes playing. 

SCAN0316-2.jpg

SCAN0302-1.jpg

Yes, I have mushroom coral in my tank, along with other corals and anemones. It's pretty cool to see the multiply. One day you have 2 before you know it there's 10. LOL

So was this just like a ship that took people out for excursions while in Barbados? It looks like a ferry of some type. What's the name of it (like which of the 5 ships was it in the bay)? That's so cool to see it before and now after.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:50 PM, SuzD123 said:

In the evenings, the Schooner Bar has more of a "piano lounge" feel...music, sing-a-long and such.  During the daytime/afternoons though, a lot of the trivia games/contests are held here.  People gather in groups/teams to compete...mostly for bragging rights.  Each contest lasts about 50-60min and has a designated theme...sports?  70s?  music?  etc.  Check your daily program for details, because it is different every day.  Definitely one of our favorite places to hang out.

We did see that some of the times when passing it.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:57 PM, SuzD123 said:

We splurged and had the Deluxe Beverage package on our last sailing.  One of the perks includes specialty coffees so we took full advantage of it every morning.  What impressed me and never ceases to amaze me is how quickly the barrista(s) would recognize us and know our order before we even told them.

haha, don't you look it when they start to recognize you. The workers amaze me. So many people each day and cruise and it seems like they've known you forever after the second day.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:03 PM, SuzD123 said:

Freedom, Independence, and Liberty are "sister ships" in the Freedom Class...all three (3) essentially the same with only slight differences.

I'm definitely going to be checking out those ships for the future.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:56 PM, teachingforme said:

Thank you for a great review. We sail on Freedom June 2 on the other itinerary. Your review prompted us to buy an underwater camera. I think our 7 year will love using it while snorkeling.

You are welcome. I couldn't live without my cameras.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:40 PM, bartzcrew said:

Loved it, again, thank you for your time! Going to go re-read you Magic review. We are on her in just over 2 weeks!

Thanks so much and have a great time on the Magic.

On 5/21/2019 at 11:26 PM, SenatorsFan said:

I'm so glad you got to see the beautiful umbrellas in San Juan! We saw them when we were there in October.

Thanks for another wonderful review. I hope you can find an NCL cruise to take. 

Please take care of yourself;  I'm thinking about you and I hope to see you and your family cruising for years to come. 😊

Heather

They were so pretty and it had been raining and I was afraid I wouldn't get good pictures of them. But, the sun finally came out by the time we got there.

Thanks for the comments Heather. I appreciate it.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:28 AM, crystalspin said:

I am so excited that I will be sharing this with my brother, who is an amateur glass artist himself (doesn't have a kiln/oven, so nothing big like this). Also DB and SIL will love the latin-theme; they have taken salsa and other dance lessons. I foresee us spending most of our onboard time here!

I

Oh how cool that your brother is a glass artist. He will love this. I've been on some NCL ships that have things like this on them as well. They are so pretty.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:55 AM, Oakman said:

Doesn't the girl in the white sleeveless top at Boleros sipping a drink from a straw look like  Chrissy Metz from "This is Us"? I live in Sarasota, Fl. and ran into her last June shopping in Publix. Had a nice chat with her and her sister. They vacation every year on Siesta Key. Maybe this year they took a cruise. (If it was her)

I will have to look that person up. Never heard of them.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:42 AM, Spike2000 said:

MITSUGIRLY, I tried to send you a message to ask this but the site won't let me send a message (weird). 

What model camera are you using for your underwater pics? Just curious. I have had great luck with multiple GoPros over the years but it would be nice to have another option if it's small enough.  Great review BTW...We will be on that same itinerary/ship in a few weeks. Thanks! 

This site does not allow messages being sent between members.

I see someone else pointed you in the direction of the camera info.

Have a great cruise on this itinerary in a few weeks. I love going to these islands.

On 5/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, AKR2011 said:

Thank you so much for another awesome review! I am so sorry to hear about your health and am thinking of you and your family. Just a thought for you. The Escape is headed to Bermuda this summer out of NYC. She is a beauty! The Gem is also headed that way out of Boston. You're right; Caribbean itineraries on NCL in the summer are not great. I always cruise in mid-late November, and I have gotten to some awesome places.

You are welcome and thanks for commenting.

I have been looking at the Escape and Gem (since I have cruised so many of the NCL ships...managing to do so without repeating them, except the Epic, and my goal once was to cruise them all) and I have never been on the Gem or Escape. So those are probably my biggest contenders so far.

8 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I have 2 fur babies myself. Why on earth didn't your son take your dog to the vet himself instead of waiting for you to get home? He knew it was poison. You are lucky the dog made it.

It was happening very late at night and he is unfamiliar with emergency vets. We only had text service so I couldn't look at up to tell him to take him to plus he had work at 4am in the morning and just got off vacation a few weeks ago and couldn't miss. He wouldn't have known what to do and knew we were supposed to be there within the hour (but our flight got delayed and he didn't know). We are very lucky he made it. It was touch and go for a few days. I mean even the er vet didn't do anything for him other than hydrate him and give him something to calm his stomach.

• Like 1

If you are considering Alaska at all you may want to do a round trip out of Seattle. Airfare because it is roundtrip may be more affordable, and you wouldn't have as long of a flight, also consider going on shoulder season. May or early June. The Alaska cruise we did was 7 days out of Seattle and was the first part of June (just after our kids got out of school) only a week later and the rates went up significantly. It might have been a bit cool for some, but it wasn't much different than what we left in Wisconsin 🙂 We also chose round trip because the airfare was much more reasonable. This was in 2011, so things may have changed. Would love to go back.

Just now, WisconsinFan said:

. This was in 2011, so things may have changed. 

The general recommendation you raised is still valid. Also, a minor point, but you might be able to get away without a passport with a sailing out of Settle.

4 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Yes, I have mushroom coral in my tank, along with other corals and anemones. It's pretty cool to see the multiply. One day you have 2 before you know it there's 10. LOL

So was this just like a ship that took people out for excursions while in Barbados? It looks like a ferry of some type. What's the name of it (like which of the 5 ships was it in the bay)? That's so cool to see it before and now after.

I'll bet your tank is awesome!  They have some real nice tanks near the lobby of the Courtyard hotel we've stayed at when on our most recent cruises out of there, that have corals, anemones, and fish.  I was mesmerized by those.

Yes, it was a ship/boat that did the booze cruise excursion in Barbados.  We booked the tour through the cruise line.  I don't know if they used it for other excursions it or not.  The name of it is/was "Bajan Queen".  I guess I forgot to mention the name.  It DID look like a ferry boat, maybe it was at one time.  It was docked right in front of the building that the shopping area is at now (yellow buildings), so it was a fairly short walk to get to it from our ship.  It is cool to see it before and now after, but kind of sad.  At least we have great memories from it.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Kim, thanks as always for your hard work on this review.  Your writing and pictures are a great escape during my workday and always get me excited for our next cruise.  Glad to see you back on CC.  - Lee

7 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

It was happening very late at night and he is unfamiliar with emergency vets. We only had text service so I couldn't look at up to tell him to take him to plus he had work at 4am in the morning and just got off vacation a few weeks ago and couldn't miss. He wouldn't have known what to do and knew we were supposed to be there within the hour (but our flight got delayed and he didn't know). We are very lucky he made it. It was touch and go for a few days. I mean even the er vet didn't do anything for him other than hydrate him and give him something to calm his stomach.

We had a similar experience. Bailey was hiding something from us in her mouth. Squirrels had broken a mouse trap unit and she got into the poison. Vet induced vomiting, gave charcoal and hydrated. It's scary. You have a beautiful dog!! 

A belated question if I might, loved the picture showing the path in San Juan leading to a playground area with Thing 1 image on the pathway leading in- I have not found a single other mention of this park you discovered, if you were looking at this map of the tourist area of Old San Juan, I think you were near it close to when you came back through that big gate, do you know what number might be in its general area  just to narrow down the search please... and if that gate was near any of these reference numbers by chance, or a word on the map, hints gratefully appreciated.323_oldsanjuanattractions.jpg

It does make more sense to get certified but honestly, without going into details, I have been given some bad news regarding my health and given "5 years or less". So, I just don't think that it's in the cards for me at this time and I'm happy with what I'm doing as long as I'm living life to the fullest and just happy to be blessed enough to spend this time with my family. We will see what the future holds for me. It's just too up in the air at the moment.

Kim....when I read this I was absolutely shocked and so sad.  I just can't believe that this could be true.  Surely there is something that can be done so you don't have to face this limited time frame.  As you know, so much is discovered with medical treatments, and I sincerely hope something can be done for you.

small PS, I do see on the map that the gate you mentioned is #14, have had great fun following along, found the fountain, umbrella road, Pigeon Park (24), have really enjoyed following your adventures, we are on the Freedoms ABC itinerary but I already want to book another one with the islands you visited  :0)  Great trip report, thank you for all your time, we're right after the amplified.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:49 AM, WisconsinFan said:

If you are considering Alaska at all you may want to do a round trip out of Seattle. Airfare because it is roundtrip may be more affordable, and you wouldn't have as long of a flight, also consider going on shoulder season. May or early June. The Alaska cruise we did was 7 days out of Seattle and was the first part of June (just after our kids got out of school) only a week later and the rates went up significantly. It might have been a bit cool for some, but it wasn't much different than what we left in Wisconsin 🙂 We also chose round trip because the airfare was much more reasonable. This was in 2011, so things may have changed. Would love to go back.

I know June is too early for me since I just went on vacation. Isn't "round trip" considered from you home airport and back? So I would still have to purchase tickets from here to Seattle as well.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, Biker19 said:

The general recommendation you raised is still valid. Also, a minor point, but you might be able to get away without a passport with a sailing out of Settle.

We all have passports so that wouldn't be an issue.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, pghsteelerfan said:

I'll bet your tank is awesome!  They have some real nice tanks near the lobby of the Courtyard hotel we've stayed at when on our most recent cruises out of there, that have corals, anemones, and fish.  I was mesmerized by those.

Yes, it was a ship/boat that did the booze cruise excursion in Barbados.  We booked the tour through the cruise line.  I don't know if they used it for other excursions it or not.  The name of it is/was "Bajan Queen".  I guess I forgot to mention the name.  It DID look like a ferry boat, maybe it was at one time.  It was docked right in front of the building that the shopping area is at now (yellow buildings), so it was a fairly short walk to get to it from our ship.  It is cool to see it before and now after, but kind of sad.  At least we have great memories from it.

Yea, watching saltwater tanks is so relaxing and interesting to watch them interact.

Oh, ok makes sense about an excursion type boat. I looked up the info on her:

Bajan Queen: Carlisle Bay ~ 35ft  ~ She was Barbados’ first tugboat named the “Pelican” when the Bridgetown Harbour was being constructed in the 1960’s. A decade later, as more modern tugboats were purchased; the Pelican was then converted to a party boat called “Bajan Queen”.  The Bajan Queen holds many memories for thousands of Barbadians and visitors alike. After years of operation as the party spot the Bajan Queen was donated to the Coastal Zone Management Unit.  From there with the assistance of our very own Andre Miller the Bajan Queen was cleaned up and sunk on 19th May 2002 in Carlisle Bay Marine Park.  She now sits only a few feet below the surface and is accumulating some excellent fish life and good coral diversity.

So cool to know the history and someone that has been on it.

On 5/24/2019 at 3:19 PM, Lupush said:

Kim, thanks as always for your hard work on this review.  Your writing and pictures are a great escape during my workday and always get me excited for our next cruise.  Glad to see you back on CC.  - Lee

You are welcome and thanks for the comments. Thanks for the welcome back. Hopefully I'll have a little more time on these boards in the future now that I don't have to worry about school.

On 5/24/2019 at 5:24 PM, Bailey & Sophie said:

We had a similar experience. Bailey was hiding something from us in her mouth. Squirrels had broken a mouse trap unit and she got into the poison. Vet induced vomiting, gave charcoal and hydrated. It's scary. You have a beautiful dog!! 

Oh my! Glad everything turned out ok. Our ER vet wouldn't even induce vomiting. Said I needed to call this number, give them the actual name and ingredients in it and pay $65 for the phone call, then and only then, they could get something to give to him. 😞  It was the middle of the night and I had no idea what the actual name was or the ingredients and wasn't even 100% that is what happened but was the only logical explanation. Hundreds of $$ later...he was only hydrated and given 2 shots to "calm his stomach" and sent home.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:19 PM, T-2 said:

A belated question if I might, loved the picture showing the path in San Juan leading to a playground area with Thing 1 image on the pathway leading in- I have not found a single other mention of this park you discovered, if you were looking at this map of the tourist area of Old San Juan, I think you were near it close to when you came back through that big gate, do you know what number might be in its general area  just to narrow down the search please... and if that gate was near any of these reference numbers by chance, or a word on the map, hints gratefully appreciated.323_oldsanjuanattractions.jpg

It's not by the big gate. If you are getting off the ship and going left, take the main road where you will find the vendors along the road with food and selling things. The wall is along that road too. I believe it is Paseo de la Princesa road.  It's way before you ever get to the water statue by the water (which is also called Paseo de la Princesa). The last time we were here it was just a park with some stands for concerts and stuff. If I had to pick a number on that map, it would be around 30. I hope that helps. 

On 5/24/2019 at 8:38 PM, CAC104 said:

It does make more sense to get certified but honestly, without going into details, I have been given some bad news regarding my health and given "5 years or less". So, I just don't think that it's in the cards for me at this time and I'm happy with what I'm doing as long as I'm living life to the fullest and just happy to be blessed enough to spend this time with my family. We will see what the future holds for me. It's just too up in the air at the moment.

Kim....when I read this I was absolutely shocked and so sad.  I just can't believe that this could be true.  Surely there is something that can be done so you don't have to face this limited time frame.  As you know, so much is discovered with medical treatments, and I sincerely hope something can be done for you.

There is definitely surgery but many factors go into it which prevent it at this time. I will have to activate/download my messenger and fill you in. I haven't had messenger for almost 9 months or so. I've had people tell me they have tried to message me with no response. That would be why.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:55 PM, T-2 said:

small PS, I do see on the map that the gate you mentioned is #14, have had great fun following along, found the fountain, umbrella road, Pigeon Park (24), have really enjoyed following your adventures, we are on the Freedoms ABC itinerary but I already want to book another one with the islands you visited  :0)  Great trip report, thank you for all your time, we're right after the amplified.

We have walked all of San Juan so many times and there's so many things to see...if not for just the picture opportunity. LOL We didn't go as many places this time around because we've been everywhere previous times. But if you've found any other places you'd like to know about from previous reports, let me know.

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Oh my! Glad everything turned out ok. Our ER vet wouldn't even induce vomiting. Said I needed to call this number, give them the actual name and ingredients in it and pay $65 for the phone call, then and only then, they could get something to give to him. 😞  It was the middle of the night and I had no idea what the actual name was or the ingredients and wasn't even 100% that is what happened but was the only logical explanation. Hundreds of $$ later...he was only hydrated and given 2 shots to "calm his stomach" and sent home.

That's just stupid (my opinion only). I expect more from a vet that a huge bill for hydration.

If you could look back at post 453, about the Thing 1 figure on the ground leading to a playground, I was hoping you might remember about where you were... some of our best things have been just stumbled on by accident or taking a wrong turn, we love exploring but its also fun to have a few goals, landmarks/photo spots, thrown into the adventure.  My grandson lit right up when he saw that photo you took, if you don't remember its no worry- i just told him I'd ask :0)  Super appreciative and thanks.

7 hours ago, T-2 said:

If you could look back at post 453, about the Thing 1 figure on the ground leading to a playground, I was hoping you might remember about where you were... some of our best things have been just stumbled on by accident or taking a wrong turn, we love exploring but its also fun to have a few goals, landmarks/photo spots, thrown into the adventure.  My grandson lit right up when he saw that photo you took, if you don't remember its no worry- i just told him I'd ask :0)  Super appreciative and thanks.

I answered the location in my last post. See post #456  It's super easy to find.

4 minutes ago, cruisr4fun said:

I believe the playground is called Parque del nino and is within the Luis Munoz-Rivera park:   https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/parque-luis-munoz-rivera-park/ 

Although the sign did say Parque del nino beside it, it's not in the Luis Munoz Rivera park. If you look at the map on the link you provided, that's really far away from the port area where this is located. This is located right by the port on Paseo de la Princesa.

13 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I know June is too early for me since I just went on vacation. Isn't "round trip" considered from you home airport and back? So I would still have to purchase tickets from here to Seattle as well.

I wasn't thinking this June 🙂 yes that would be a very quick (and most likely expensive!) turn around. Just a thought for the future.

Round trip meant a cruise starting and ending in Seattle. When you look at Alaska cruises you will find many that go one way, either from Vancouver BC north to say Seward, or just the opposite, Seward back to Vancouver. Those itineraries require you to buy a one way ticket to your port of embarkation and a one way ticket from where you get off, with one of course being in Canada. Often that can result in a more expensive way to do things- instead of starting and stopping in Seattle and buy one domestic round trip ticket.