Amsterdam Since Last Drydock

roadbeagle

It has been six years since we sailed on the Amsterdam. I am curious to know what has changed since the last drydock.  We are booked in June for the 14 day Alaska cruise. Thank you for any input.

2 hours ago, roadbeagle said:

It has been six years since we sailed on the Amsterdam. I am curious to know what has changed since the last drydock.  We are booked in June for the 14 day Alaska cruise. Thank you for any input.

Amsterdam had a dry-dock in Apr/May of 2015 in Freeport where, besides standard maintenance, she had new staging with LED lighting installed in the Crow’s Nest and Ocean Bar. The latter two also received new upholstery and wall coverings; there was new furniture, soft furnishings and draperies installed in the penthouse suite; all show lounges were re-upholstered; suite category staterooms received new carpeting; the Greenhouse Spa & Salon, Ocean Bar,  Crow’s Nest, Explorers Lounge, Neptune Lounge and Atrium also received new carpeting, and all 12 public elevator cabs were refurbished, incl. receiving LED lighting

From 25 through 28 Sep 2017, Amsterdam underwent a "wet dock,"  so water remained underneath her hull, at the Vigor Island shipyard at Tacoma, WA. During this time, potable water pipes in stateroom corridors were replaced; she received new carpet in the Main Dining Room, Lido Market Place and other public areas not included in her dry-dock two years earlier; the API/teakwood around the Lido swimming pool and LP Deck was sanded/repaired where needed; she received new dance floors in the Rembrandt Lounge and Amstel Café (piano bar); and furniture was refurbished

Finally, she had a dry-dock in Freeport one year ago (28 Apr-09 May 2018) where twenty-one new (21) Lanai staterooms replaced former ocean-view staterooms on Lower Promenade deck; she had additional  piping replaced, where needed and in her main show lounge, she had work done on the deck four level where seating was re-arranged to make show viewing better; her aft pool was made more accessible with additional handrails and stairs going in and out of the tiled pool area. The pool decking was replaced with new API. She received further suite upgrades and enhancements, incl. new sofas, lounge and desk chairs, carpeting and wall covers, a quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades included a USB outlet added to the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod were installed. A Bose iPod docking station, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine were added in PS suites only.

HAL AMDM Explorations Cafe Library after 2018 drydock.jpg

HAL AMDM Explorers Lounge after 2018 drydock.jpg

HAL AMDM Main Stage after 2018 drydock.jpg

HAL AMDM Main Stage entrance after 2018 drydock.jpg

HAL AMDM Piano Bar after 2018 drydock.jpg

HAL AMDM Pinnacle Grill after 2018 drydock.jpg

Thank you so much, John. You are so kind to share all of this info. This is what I wanted.                Thanks!                                                                           Pat

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 7:13 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Finally, she had a dry-dock in Freeport one year ago (28 Apr-09 May 2018) where twenty-one new (21) Lanai staterooms replaced former ocean-view staterooms on Lower Promenade deck; she had additional  piping replaced, where needed and in her main show lounge, she had work done on the deck four level where seating was re-arranged to make show viewing better; her aft pool was made more accessible with additional handrails and stairs going in and out of the tiled pool area. The pool decking was replaced with new API. She received further suite upgrades and enhancements, incl. new sofas, lounge and desk chairs, carpeting and wall covers, a quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades included a USB outlet added to the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod were installed. A Bose iPod docking station, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine were added in PS suites only.

Thanks so much John.  We sail on her 3 June and are anxious to see these great changes...

• Like 1

When you mean suite upgrades, does that include Vista Suites on deck 4 as well?  I forgot where I read it but the bath tubs were replaced by showers?  Also flat screen TVs installed.  Is this correct?  If anyone has pictures of the new refurbished vista suites it would be greatly appreciated if you can share.

We haven't sailed on her since the first 14 night Alaska itinerary in 2009 (I think it was).  We're booked on her at the end of July for the same wonderful itinerary and after seeing these great pictures (thanks, John!), I can't wait! 

We were on her in January for 2 weeks and loved the ship and the fantastic crew!  So much so that we booked her again for a 2 week Alaska cruise in Sept.  Only dislike - the small TVs (we were in a Vista suite).

We were on Volendam in December in a Vista suite and you're right - the lack of a decent TV with the interactive feature sucks but not enough to keep us from cruising on the smaller ships.  LOL

23 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We were on her in January for 2 weeks and loved the ship and the fantastic crew!  So much so that we booked her again for a 2 week Alaska cruise in Sept.  Only dislike - the small TVs (we were in a Vista suite).

What about the tub?  Replaced by showers or still tub?

Our first HAL cruise was on the MS Amsterdam a couple of years ago for an Alaskan cruise.  At the time she was a bit worn but very old fashion elegant.  So far she is our favorite because of her size, intimacy and we love, love, love the promenade deck   Hoping to sail on her again. 

11 hours ago, tvlgoddess said:

When you mean suite upgrades, does that include Vista Suites on deck 4 as well?  I forgot where I read it but the bath tubs were replaced by showers?  Also flat screen TVs installed.  Is this correct?  If anyone has pictures of the new refurbished vista suites it would be greatly appreciated if you can share.

Because of an upcoming Amsterdam cruise, I contacted HAL by email a couple of months ago for the info on interactive TV's and received a response that Amsterdam does not have them.

Edited by JudithLynne