Why I Will Never Again Sail With X

mldiluna

4 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Would you say that the same principle applies for yelp restaurant reviews?

Yes.  I have little patience for people who prefer to complain rather than get the desired experience...  Yelp is a common source of fake or revenge reviews, and I don't place much value in them.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

Yes.  I have little patience for people who prefer to complain rather than get the desired experience... 

Are you upset that we ordered off the menu itself, and described how things have changed?  Should we self-censored ourselves to protect your patience, and instead describe how wonderful it was to ignore the menu, and go for special request items instead?

Welcome to Cruise Critic, I honestly wish they would do a sister forum for the reasons you mentioned, called Cruise Cheer.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree. Been there, done that. But based only on what the OP stated in her post what her injuries were I would have immediately went to the ships doctor first before even thinking of going to GS. IMO there's a whole lot more to this story then what the OP is leading us to believe. 😈I still would like to know from the OP if she did a follow up to Celebrity concerning her accident. 

Followups were described before your post, #1 and #63.  I'm curious about your theories, in what there is more to the story.  It sounds like you may have some zingers. 😉

22 hours ago, ak1004 said:

When someone slips and falls, this is a MAJOR event, and should be treated like this by a cruise line, especially when it happens on their property and is their fault.

If every slip and fall was treated as a major event by the cruise line, regardless of whether the person asked for medical help or not, asked for crew assistance or not, asked for it to be documented or not, the ship staff would do nothing but take incident reports all day.  People fall down all the time on cruises because the boat rocks, or they have too much to drink, or they don't look where they're going, or they trip on their own feet or a zillion other reasons.  At some point the passenger has to take some responsibility for saying, "yeah, let me report this or get help."  If they indicate they're fine and decline or don't ask for help, they can hardly blame the ship. 

A few cruises ago, I took a bad spill in one of the restaurants.  We had a large party, around 12 or more, and they had pushed tables together to make one long table.  The chairs were so close together the arms were pushed up against each other.  I saw friends at a table across the room and decided to go say hi as we waited for appetizers to come.  I pushed my chair back as far as I could, got up and turned to walk away, but my foot got caught in the chair legs since the chair wasn't 100% clear of the chairs next to it because they were all so close together.  I fell down hard, a real wipeout, with most of my body weight on my. left knee.  I was embarrassed and got right up, declining all inquiries/help, even though my knee hurt like hell.  I figured it was a bruise and had no desire to give a report or get medical.   It hurt for several weeks but I don't blame the ship for not forcing me to get help. 

And, I'm still waiting for the OP to come back and tell us exactly what they wanted the person at guest services to do or say.  They seemed very annoyed that they reported what happened and were met with "Is that it?"  I'm wondering what, exactly, they wanted the person to do and why they didn't ask for that action at the time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First post: "Frankly, the complete lack of concern for passenger safety appalled me."

Post #4: The crew, after being told the OP was okay, "immediately" called for towels to wipe up the stairs.

So, priority 1 was the condition of the passenger, followed "immediately" by remedial measures to ensure it didn't happen to someone else.

Whether or not the subsequent reply at GS was adequate, I think the OP should at least retract the nasty accusation of lack of care about passenger safety. I say the crew took exactly the correct actions necessary for the circumstances.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

First post: "Frankly, the complete lack of concern for passenger safety appalled me."

Post #4: The crew, after being told the OP was okay, "immediately" called for towels to wipe up the stairs.

So, priority 1 was the condition of the passenger, followed "immediately" by remedial measures to ensure it didn't happen to someone else.

Whether or not the subsequent reply at GS was adequate, I think the OP should at least retract the nasty accusation of lack of care about passenger safety. I say the crew took exactly the correct actions necessary for the circumstances.

The victim is guilty. Celebrity did nothing wrong. Celebrity is always right. Case closed.

Edited by ak1004

7 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Followups were described before your post, #1 and #63.  I'm curious about your theories, in what there is more to the story.  It sounds like you may have some zingers. 😉

The OP only had one followup post. I'll give her credit, based on her descriptions of her injuries she's a lot tougher than I am. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Of course that's just my opinion. The zingers are all yours. 😜

Just now, davekathy said:

The OP only had one followup post. I'll give her credit, based on her descriptions of her injuries she's a lot tougher than I am. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Of course that's just my opinion. The zingers are all yours. 😜

Well, sometimes it can be an African Grey Parrot, if you do not see the bird first.... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

When I first read this story in this thread I thought I had deja-vu, but now that I have found the original story a few weeks ago I feel a lot better.  Stateroom_Sailor was on a thread complaining about the food.  He had multiple posts and then as an almost sidepost right on the final page added the story of his wife falling.
In that one he stated that the crew stated that everyone needed to freeze, they then cleaned and dried the steps and people continued.  His wife said she was ok and it was not until sometime later she realised she was hurt.  The crew were not to know and as the OP here went on her excursion and didn't go to the medical centre on her return what are they going to do?

What does surprise me is that the injury in both threads is not the main concern, but the food standard was.  To me it would be the other way around.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

The victim is guilty. Celebrity did nothing wrong. Celebrity is always right. Case closed.

Victim is guilty only of failing to recognize attempts to help. I guess I am guilty of attempting to figure stuff out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Victim is guilty only of failing to recognize attempts to help. I guess I am guilty of attempting to figure stuff out.

Nahhh, not at all.

Do not let this be pinned on you...

Sometimes some peoples synapses do not trigger all the way through, even mine from time to time... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suzi66 said:

When I first read this story in this thread I thought I had deja-vu, but now that I have found the original story a few weeks ago I feel a lot better.  Stateroom_Sailor was on a thread complaining about the food.  He had multiple posts and then as an almost sidepost right on the final page added the story of his wife falling.
In that one he stated that the crew stated that everyone needed to freeze, they then cleaned and dried the steps and people continued.  His wife said she was ok and it was not until sometime later she realised she was hurt.  The crew were not to know and as the OP here went on her excursion and didn't go to the medical centre on her return what are they going to do?

What does surprise me is that the injury in both threads is not the main concern, but the food standard was.  To me it would be the other way around.

#1.  The fall took place on day 11 of a 12 night cruise.  I only mentioned food before this, because the fall had yet to happen.

#2.  I chose to gather my thoughts, and do research, comparing Eclipse tender steps to other ships, both passenger and military.  Unfortunately, basic safety conditions were not up to standard, this has fallen on deaf eara on this thread.

#3.  My wife never claimed that she was ok, nor has she claimed that she told the crew as such.  That is a common assumption.

#4.  It looks to me like post #1 and #63 focus more on injury than food, but regardless we're allowed critique both.  Your reassurances and feelings are NOT my concern.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

However, regarding #3, she also says she did not ask for a medical examination then. Failure to do so indicates that she felt she was ok to go ahead on the excursion.

Perhaps so, I don't know their procedure.  Perhaps if the crew hadn't been talking below, and noticed the wet steps, there wouldn't be the presumption of having bias.  Keeping the steps dry may not be their responsibility though, and it shouldn't be if they were properly painted with skid strips, like EVERYONE ELSE uses.  With the excessive rust on the lower hull, even dominating around a couple OV windows, it is obvious that they were neglecting exterior maintenance.

Let's say you witness a soda fountain machine at McDonald's, spilling out pop.  A man immediately slips, gets up holding his back, claiming to the morning crew, he hoped he's ok.  He has an appointment, and returns after to tell the manager.  This only request is that they add a plastic latch, missing from machine, to prevent a repeat.  Is that unreasonable?  Or is he blacklisted for poor decision making, 30 seconds after the fall?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Let's say you witness a soda fountain machine at McDonald's, spilling out pop.  A man immediately slips, gets up holding his back, claiming to the morning crew, he hoped he's ok.  He has an appointment, and returns after to tell the manager.  This only request is that they add a plastic latch, missing from machine, to prevent a repeat.  Is that unreasonable?  Or is he blacklisted for poor decision making, 30 seconds after the fall?

Depends. Did he speak up about his substandard Sausage McMuffin?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Perhaps so, I don't know their procedure.  Perhaps if the crew hadn't been talking below, and noticed the wet steps, there wouldn't be the presumption of having bias.  Keeping the steps dry may not be their responsibility though, and it shouldn't be if they were properly painted with skid strips, like EVERYONE ELSE uses.  With the excessive rust on the lower hull, even dominating around a couple OV windows, it is obvious that they were neglecting exterior maintenance.

Having actually worked at McDonalds, there would have been a report made immediately IF he reported a possible injury to the crew working. If he chose to simply shrug and went on and carried on with his day refusing to allow a report to be taken, then no - there would be no way to prove THAT fall was what did it.

You have to be your own advocate and speak up for yourself. Saying “I guess so” or whatever it was (it was similar I believe from the first post) and carrying on indicated no need for a report. After the fact there is no documentation of it - the fall that caused the injury could have happened anywhere else and without having taken the time to file the report and see the doctor on board, Celebrity only has your word that it happened on their property.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Having actually worked at McDonalds, there would have been a report made immediately IF he reported a possible injury to the crew working. If he chose to simply shrug and went on and carried on with his day refusing to allow a report to be taken, then no - there would be no way to prove THAT fall was what did it.

You have to be your own advocate and speak up for yourself. Saying “I guess so” or whatever it was (it was similar I believe from the first post) and carrying on indicated no need for a report. After the fact there is no documentation of it - the fall that caused the injury could have happened anywhere else and without having taken the time to file the report and see the doctor on board, Celebrity only has your word that it happened on their property.

You've refused to address my question.  Would a man who had fallen, asking for the machine to be fixed with pictures of the problem, be unreasonable?  His judgement 30 seconds after is more important than an ongoing problem that lead to the fall?

We did not refuse to file a report, where did you read this?  One was never offered, still I have done two.  With eyewitness name and cabin # included.  Do you honestly believe the crew below would lie? 

I "have to" be an advocate for myself?  Why?  No, I prefer to be an advocate for others, and prevent this situation from happening again more seriously.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You've refused to address my question.  Would a man who had fallen, asking for the machine to be fixed with pictures of the problem, be unreasonable?  

We did not refuse to file a report, where did you read this?  One was never offered, still I have done two.  With eyewitness name and cabin #.  Do you believe the crew below would lie?

I "have to" be an advocate for myself?  Why?  No, I prefer to be an advocate for others, and prevent this situation from happening again more serious.

No, but refusing to take the time to report the possible injury then and then expecting the company to do something about it is.

And yes, while advocating for others is fine, you also have to open your mouth when there is a problem involving you. Just as apparently you refused to complain to the server that the bread was stale, she refused to seek medical attention after. Refusal to speak up means nothing can be done.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

No, but refusing to take the time to report the possible injury then and then expecting the company to do something about it is.

The company can do something, those steps still need to be fixed.  You are far more cynical of Celebrity than I am.

34 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

You have to be your own advocate and speak up for yourself... you also have to open your mouth when...

Can you explain why I "have to"?  It sounds like you're giving orders.

Eclipse had fewer staff in Blu than we had on Infinity, clearly rushed and stressed, a couple even expressing openly about it.  With threads already existing about the ship running out of supplies, we decided to not make their lives harder.  That's a problem that goes much higher up, and pleasing everyone's ego on this thread was not factored into the decision to do so.

This was an unfortunate accident  and it sounds as though Celebrity could have dealt with it better. 

My experience when reporting any issues to them is that they have gone above and beyond to make the situation good (this included having to be emergency disembarked from our last cruise at Miami)

If it was me and I still enjoyed cruising with Celebrity I would chalk this up to experience and perhaps avoid tendering with any cruise line in future.  If there were other things about the overall Celebrity experience that you are unhappy with, maybe you're right to try a different line.

50 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

The company can do something, those steps still need to be fixed.  You are far more cynical of Celebrity than I am.

Can you explain why I "have to"?  It sounds like you're giving orders.

Eclipse had fewer staff in Blu than we had on Infinity, clearly rushed and stressed, a couple even expressing openly about it.  With threads already existing about the ship running out of supplies, we decided to not make their lives harder.  That's a problem that goes much higher up, and pleasing everyone's ego on this thread was not factored into the decision to do so.

First, not sure how saying they are well within their rights to not say anything else about injury when medical help was not asked for until long after the incident makes me “cynical” about Celebrity. It makes me realistic about the lawsuit happy society we

live in. No company is going to take a report hours after something - especially when there was further activity where the injury could have occurred - seriously. Without that initial report there is no proof it happened on their property.

As for not saying anything about the food... Well, you can CHOOSE not to, but then you

really should not complain as the server had no way to know and make it better.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

24 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

First, not sure how saying they are well within their rights to not say anything else about injury when medical help was not asked for until long after the incident makes me “cynical” about Celebrity. It makes me realistic about the lawsuit happy society we

live in. No company is going to take a report hours after something - especially when there was further activity where the injury could have occurred - seriously. Without that initial report there is no proof it happened on their property.

As for not saying anything about the food... Well, you can CHOOSE not to, but then you

really should not complain as the server had no way to know and make it better.

The crew didn't think of offering a report, but I should been in the right mind to know better.  Gotcha.  How does this override their responsibility to keep up on exterior maintenance, and protect guests in the future?

I get, you're disappointed that we ate the food.  I am disappointed in the food cuts.  Can we call it a draw and say they're half at fault?

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

The crew didn't think of offering a report, but I should been in the right mind to know better.  Gotcha.  How does this override their responsibility to keep up on exterior maintenance, and protect guests in the future?

I get, you're disappointed that we ate the food.  I am disappointed in the food cuts.  Can we call it a draw and say they're half at fault?

But without the report, there is no way to ensure that they would be examined and fixed. Should they be? I was not there. But bottom line, any “slip” that requires both hands to prevent the fall is not something to brush aside just for an excursion - I don’t care what the excursion is for. 

As for the food, yes. You chose to eat it rather than speak up, so that is 100% on you.

And I’m done. If all Celebrity cruisers are as cheery as you, I may well change my February cruise to a line where people are more pleasant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And I’m done. If all Celebrity cruisers are as cheery as you, I may well change my February cruise to a line where people are more pleasant.

LOL, we are not ALL dour...

Only when on CC... 😉

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 2