Why I Will Never Again Sail With X

mldiluna

I guess there must be something wrong with me. I keep looking at the photo of the stairs and trying to figure out what is wrong with them.

They look like heavy duty non-skid metal stairs that are reinforced with non-skid paint and yellow warning edges. They're not brand new but they certainly don't look neglected. They also have hand rails on either side.🤔 I certainly wouldn't want something protruding that you could catch your shoe on.

• Like 9

On 5/9/2019 at 10:45 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Are you upset that we ordered off the menu itself, and described how things have changed?  Should we self-censored ourselves to protect your patience, and instead describe how wonderful it was to ignore the menu, and go for special request items instead?

Welcome to Cruise Critic, I honestly wish they would do a sister forum for the reasons you mentioned, called Cruise Cheer.

If you complained that the bread was stale, and then posted that the response was "Sorry, that's all we have," then the complaint is justified.  If you were served fresh bread after complaining, than it isn't worth mentioning, especially when trying to bolster your argument against Celebrity because of a slip and fall.  It's the equivalent of saying "I've had the worst year.  First, Hurricane Sandy wiped out my house, and then the dry cleaner wrinkled my pants."

Please, by all means, find a cruise line you lI like better.  In the same price range, I think you'll find the lines are mostly the same.  I'm not a cheerleader, just a realist.  If you want "Five Star Service," spend $500.00 + each per day.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

Please, by all means, find a cruise line you lI like better.  In the same price range, I think you'll find the lines are mostly the same.  I'm not a cheerleader, just a realist.  If you want "Five Star Service," spend $500.00 + each per day.

Would I be better off going after Holland America, and asking them to remove the skid strips, so that their steps are on par with X?

4 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

1.  I am indeed headstrong about exterior maintenance that affects passenger safety.  Why should I yield on this issue?  Or is it only a virtue with something small, like pureed peas?

2.  I 100% agree.  I will go so far as to say that most will put fellow passenger well being, above their feelings and loyalty to the brand.  You're the one in the minority.

So headstrong about exterior maintenance that you left the ship without really raising the issue, possibly allowing those following to maybe also slip. If indeed there was a slip hazard.

However the slip may have nothing at all to do with maintenance but some other cause nearer to home. the shoes worn, the lack of attention when using the steps, carrying items that necessitated the removal of hands from the rails. BTW I  no longer have loyalty to any brand, my upcoming cruise will be my first with Celebrity.

Edited by Redrobo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Redrobo said:

So headstrong about exterior maintenance that you left the ship without really raising the issue, possibly allowing those following to maybe also slip. If indeed there was a slip hazard.

Too late, your message can only be read on May 11th.  Not you nor I can go back and intervene, but if there's a way, I welcome someone going back to April 28th with all insight, research, and advice.

6 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

If I were in your position this is what "I would" do.  

You said this would be an easy fix for you, and I would appreciate your help.  You don't even have to admit it here, just do what you can for the sake fo your fellow passengers.

5 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You said this would be an easy fix for you, and I would appreciate your help.  You don't even have to admit it here, just do what you can for the sake fo your fellow passengers.

Not my issue, I think the steps look fine and are not in need of any updated maintenance.  Since you seem to think the maintenance of the steps are subpar, the ball is in your court.  I only champion issues that I believe in and this isn't one of them.

BTW, I would have written a letter, with regard to the issue, if I would have have fell, but, then again, I would have also gone right to medical, so they would know that the damage was done on the ship and that I didn't fall again on my excursion.

I hope you find a new cruise line and have many more wonderful and accident free cruises.  May I suggest Crystal, they are awesome.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Not my issue, I think the steps look fine and are not in need of any updated maintenance.  Since you seem to think the maintenance of the steps are subpar, the ball is in your court.  I only champion issues that I believe in and this isn't one of them.

BTW, I would have written a letter, with regard to the issue, if I would have have fell, but, then again, I would have also gone right to medical, so they would know that the damage was done on the ship and that I didn't fall again on my excursion.

Choose your battle, you're correct.  I and many others, would be greatly inspired if you would make a noticable change on Celebrity, by writing LLP.  I look forward to seeing the ease outcome.  Thank you.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Have I made you feel ignored?  It is not personal, there are many on here making comments, suggestions, and asking questions.  If this were a slower thread, I could address everyone.

You can reference back to post 63, fourth paragraph, to answer your question.  What we've wanted hasn't changed.

I don't feel ignored per se, I just think you are avoiding my question.  Here's what you said in post 63 fourth paragraph:

"I called Celebrity yesterday, after talking to several retired Navy and Coast Guard veterans, looking at the Naval ships in Honolulu, and looking up tender steps on other cruise lines.  What do I want?  I would like to see these steps sanded down, primed, and repainted.  There are too many chips and pores, allowing for water to gather.  Definitely need anti skid strips, like everyone else uses.  Guest service said they would forward the step condition to Eclipse. "

First you said you were upset because after reporting the incident to guest services, the rep said "Is that it?"  You seemed to want more.  Then you say guest services said they would forward to the info to the ship.  But even you seemed unsure about whether the condition of the steps was worth reporting, as you waited to do so until after you spoke to retired Navy and Coast Guard folks, looked at naval ships, and looked up tender steps on other cruise lines.  How in the world was the GS rep onboard the ship supposed to know this is what you wanted if you yourself didn't know at the time?!  So I ask, AGAIN, what is it that you wanted the onboard rep to say or do, exactly? And upon not getting it, why didn't you ask?   Barring some other specific reply from you in answer to that question, I will believe (and I'll bet many others do too) that what you were looking for was some kind of monetary compensation and were po'd that it wasn't offered.

6 hours ago, cruising sister said:

The guest services rep failed you

How so?  Sure, the rep could have been more personable and empathetic, but what exactly should the rep have done.  Offered to send his wife to medical?  She could have gone on her own; she didn't need permission from guest services. 

• Like 3

I have never worked for an organization that when a complaint of a fall and possible injury on their  premises was not followed by a complete incident report. This protects the organization from further liability. I have had to sign off on many as a director. I am sure Celebrity as an organization has guidelines to follow. They are only good if the frontline workers follow them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Barring some other specific reply from you in answer to that question, I will believe (and I'll bet many others do too) that what you were looking for was some kind of monetary compensation and were po'd that it wasn't offered.

Agreed. And given that he is now wanting everyone else to contact Celebrity and request/demand that action be taken simply

on hearsay and what he claims are his pictures, my gut (and I bet others as well) is saying he has already been in contact with a lawyer who has advised him to stop contacting Celebrity. So he is wanting others to do it for him.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

So I ask, AGAIN, what is it that you wanted the onboard rep to say or do, exactly? And upon not getting it, why didn't you ask?   Barring some other specific reply from you in answer to that question, I will believe (and I'll bet many others do too) that what you were looking for was some kind of monetary compensation and were po'd that it wasn't offered.

I am sorry that you are frustrated, but I have already answered your question.  If we continued to research ship safety after disembarking, I don't need your permission to have done so.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:04 AM, mldiluna said:

My husband and I recently got home from the April 17 Eclipse sailing, and quite frankly, neither of us will ever sail with Celebrity again.  It started with a starkly noticeable decline in food quality and service since our October cruise on Infinity, Aqua cabins both times, so a true apples to apples comparison.  Other than hummus the first night, spreads for bread in Blu quickly stagnated into an endless monotony of pureed corn, beets, peas, and/or carrots, pick two, served with by about midpoint on the cruise, often stale bread.  Not even Olive Garden has the gall to serve stale bread.  We also noticed that cuts of meat were fattier or not trimmed as well as they were six months ago, and there was a distinct lack of vegetables as sides, even if they were listed on the menu as accompanying the entree.   We noticed that Blu seemed understaffed, with fewer waitstaff than there had been on the Infinity six months ago, covering a dining room that was approximately a third larger.  There were occasions when we ordered a glass of wine with our meal that never arrived.  This was bad enough all on its own, but not the worst.

For us, the real end of cruising with Celebrity occurred in Maui.   We had booked an excursion to see the sun come up over Mt. Haleakala, so we went down at 2 AM to catch the tender ashore.  While descending the steps down to the tender, I slipped and fell, not once, but twice, on those wet, slippery stairs, in front of approximately half a dozen crew members.  For the record, I had both hands on the rails, which is why I'm here with pulled muscles and a wrenched spine, instead of a cracked skull.  Not one of the crew members that were there bothered to ask if I had hit my head, or did I want to get checked out beyond a brusque "You okay?".  Nobody asked for my name or cabin number, nor did they ask the names and cabin numbers of any of the people who had seen me fall, much less any of the other information that would go into making any sort of incident report.  When I went to make a report to guest services about the accident, the woman at the counter was completely disinterested in what had happened, asking if that was it when I told her what had happened.  I ended up going to urgent care in Lahaina to see a doctor, where I was diagnosed with a wrenched spine and pulled muscles, along with bruises and abrasions from butt to shoulders.  Frankly, the complete lack of concern for passenger safety appalled me.

We're giving X one more shot next Jan. We've done Oceania for 2 years & loved it. Cruise timing is what changed us back to the Silhouette next Jan. The itinerary was pretty much the same, but this is a make & break with us. As to your fall. TRUST ME! you were videoed making that fall. There are cameras all over the ship. They saw it happen. The fact they down played it is pretty inexcusable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keithm said:

As to your fall. TRUST ME! you were videoed making that fall. There are cameras all over the ship. They saw it happen. The fact they down played it is pretty inexcusable.

Or....  They saw they video and concluded it was not as big of an event as the OP is indicating in this forum.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, keithm said:

We're giving X one more shot next Jan. We've done Oceania for 2 years & loved it. Cruise timing is what changed us back to the Silhouette next Jan. The itinerary was pretty much the same, but this is a make & break with us. As to your fall. TRUST ME! you were videoed making that fall. There are cameras all over the ship. They saw it happen. The fact they down played it is pretty inexcusable.

Gust Service on the ship, claimed that there were no cameras anywhere near the tender.

We witnessed a passenger who fell down the stairs landing at the bottom near the bar outside Luminae a couple of nights ago. It was a bad fall, there was blood on several steps and her shin looked a mess. Celebrity were absolutely not to blame here I walked down after the passenger and the only 'hazard' was small amounts of blood from her. She was carrying a wine glass and I suspect that contributed to her injuries. 

Within minutes there were six or so officers attending to her, taking photos of the passenger and the stairs and they were clearly compiling some kind of incident report (We took seats at the bar as that was where we were headed so got a fairly good view of things). Medical staff attended to the passenger who was taken away in a wheelchair and then cleaning staff mopped up the mess. 

From what we saw Celebrity dealt with this accident very swiftly and professionally. In no way were they at fault. So I'm surprised to read the OP's experience. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mynki said:

From what we saw Celebrity dealt with this accident very swiftly and professionally. In no way were they at fault. So I'm surprised to read the OP's experience. 

I'd bet if the OP would have stayed on the stairs and not gotten up and proceeded to the tender and then to their excursion, her experience would have been the same as the passenger you saw take a fall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did guests before you fall as well? The crew member asked "You okay?" Your husband said in another post that you replied "I believe so". Then in other posts he keeps denying that you answered yes. Well, if I were the crew member, "I believe so" is certainly a positive response. What did you want them to do, force you to step aside and write a report because they didn't believe you? They then stopped traffic while they wiped the steps. That all seems very appropriate. I've studied the picture your husband took of the steps when you returned from your excursion. They DO NOT need to be sanded and repainted! Your own picture contradicts your discription of very poor exterior maintenance. I was on the Eclipse the following week. Yes, there is some rust AT THE WATER LINE! That is why Celebrity ships go into drydock on a regular basis. And Eclipse is scheduled in a few months. But your husband's characterization of EXTENSIVE rust and poor exterior maintenance is overblown and not appropriate! How does he suggest painting the hull at the water line while the ship is in the water? Show me the extensive rust on your picture of the steps? Explain how "I believe so" is not an affirmative answer to "You okay?".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, twodjs said:

What did you want them to do, force you to step aside and write a report because they didn't believe you?  Explain how "I believe so" is not an affirmative answer to "You okay?".

You've misquoted.  She was holding her back, and unconfidently said "I think so...?"  Later she told the tender driving "I hope so..."  Interpret that how you will, I don't owe you an explanation or an apology.

What we want was stated on post 63, paragraph 4. 

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

We ate in Blu several times - the soups were especially good along with every option we chose from the vegetarian menu. Had the same three spreads for the fresh bread each time - not a problem. Had slow service one night. No biggie - gave us time to chill. The only thing the ship ran low on was plastic covers for to-go cups. Really nice cruise.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You've misquoted.  She was holding her back, and unconfidently said "I think so...?"  Later she told the tender driving "I hope so..."  Interpret that how you will, I don't owe you an explanation or an apology.

What we want was stated on post 63, paragraph 4. 

Trying to piece this together. So if crew members witnessed the fall, your wife commented they didn’t ask if she hit her head, but if they saw the slips, they would have witnessed that not happening and asked a more generic question instead of does X body part hurt. 

Also so this is the first I read remarks were made by a second Celebrity employee. Did the tender driver ask if she was ok? If a second crew member asked a bit later, they aren’t as heartless as you make them out to be. 

Since I used my own footwear example of slipping on a wet deck, and others asked. What type of shoes was your wife wearing? This could be a lesson learned (sorry for the business speak) to wear different shoes when going on a tender. I for example no longer wear crocs onboard, they stay at home now. Even in my 30s those slips strained some muscles, but nothing that lasted long term. If sandals or flip flops were worn, those have little to no traction built into them. 

I have zero loyalty to Celebrity, in fact I think the non E class ships look like a snooze fest, I am just always baffled when people look first to blame someone for accidents happening. I guess this is the world we live in now, just glad I am not a business owner I would go nuts lol. 

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1