Why I Will Never Again Sail With X

mldiluna

This thread is too funny, we're now responsible for X's food and maintenance, then and moving forward.  X is helpless to address maintenance issues, unless they're reported at 2:05 AM in the morning.  I'm sure the Carnival forum can muster up higher expectations than this.

Now we have people afraid of their next X cruise because of my supposed negativity, when they were just complaining I should have been raising hell.  Next!

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

But without the report, there is no way to ensure that they would be examined and fixed. Should they be? I was not there. But bottom line, any “slip” that requires both hands to prevent the fall is not something to brush aside just for an excursion - I don’t care what the excursion is for. 

As for the food, yes. You chose to eat it rather than speak up, so that is 100% on you.

And I’m done. If all Celebrity cruisers are as cheery as you, I may well change my February cruise to a line where people are more pleasant.

Not to worry. According to the title of this thread the OP and her husband "will never again sail with X". Bon Voyage...🥂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

#3.  My wife never claimed that she was ok, nor has she claimed that she told the crew as such.  That is a common assumption.

You wife may not have claimed she was OK.  But in your initial post you say she was asked “You OK?” by a crew member.  If she did not say she was, or nod her head, then the simple fact that she continued on to the tender would seem an indication that she was OK.  In the absence of her responding to the question lay the explanation of why no reporting was done.

• Like 3

We were on the April 29th out of Honolulu and saw a very different group at the tenders.  A few times the waters were a bit rough and they had 2 people helping people to board and then get off.  They were very attentive to elderly customers, and we even saw them carry a person in a wheelchair.  

• Like 2

Reading all this there is something that seems off to me. Yes the person slipped on some water, but the crew member did ask if they were ok, then rightly got someone to wipe up the water. Now I am curious about the brusque tone used. Having sailed a few times myself I have noticed many crew where English is at best their second language would potentially sound that way because English is not their native tongue. 

When on a cruise ship I have almost slipped and fell multiple times on wet decks because I was wearing slightly worn out crocs, but I never thought to blame the crew because they didn’t dry the decks. The fact that you are analyzing the situation so closely makes me suspicious of your intentions, lawsuit?

Hopefully the OP is ok, but sometimes accidents like slips and falls happen and nobody is really to blame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My recent experience with guest services on the Eclipse was appalling. Yes we did complain to the head of guest services about the experience as we worked out at the same time as he did every day,  The rep who helped my sister was very rude, would not make eye contact and told my sister she would have to miss her excursion the next day to find a place to print her flight information and bring it back on board for the rep to enter it in to the system. My sister had her delta app with the information open and she refused to look at it, My sister had entered it into her cruise documents before we left on the trip. They had called her down because we had to fill out on paper when our flights were due to the port of San Diego being the first US port for over a year for the ship and she had an early flight. We got back in line and another rep helped her with no incident. What is appalling about the complaint was that they shrugged it off as that is how that rep is. If the op reported the incident to this rep I can only imagine how she was treated. We met others on board who had similar complaints about guest services. 

12 hours ago, helen haywood said:

You wife may not have claimed she was OK.  But in your initial post you say she was asked “You OK?” by a crew member.  If she did not say she was, or nod her head, then the simple fact that she continued on to the tender would seem an indication that she was OK.  In the absence of her responding to the question lay the explanation of why no reporting was done.

Excellent point. The first page of posts on this thread includes at least 8 attempts by 6 or so responders attempting to clarify what the OP said to the crew, but she never reappeared except for a vague reference to being dazed. 

You are correct: actions speak louder than (even dazed) silence.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

But without the report, there is no way to ensure that they would be examined and fixed. Should they be? I was not there. But bottom line, any “slip” that requires both hands to prevent the fall is not something to brush aside just for an excursion - I don’t care what the excursion is for. 

As for the food, yes. You chose to eat it rather than speak up, so that is 100% on you.

And I’m done. If all Celebrity cruisers are as cheery as you, I may well change my February cruise to a line where people are more pleasant.

Thanks for your patience. Your head must be hurting from banging it against that stone wall.

I think you’ll find that most people onboard are pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Reading all this there is something that seems off to me. Yes the person slipped on some water, but the crew member did ask if they were ok, then rightly got someone to wipe up the water. Now I am curious about the brusque tone used. Having sailed a few times myself I have noticed many crew where English is at best their second language would potentially sound that way because English is not their native tongue. 

When on a cruise ship I have almost slipped and fell multiple times on wet decks because I was wearing slightly worn out crocs, but I never thought to blame the crew because they didn’t dry the decks. The fact that you are analyzing the situation so closely makes me suspicious of your intentions, lawsuit?

Hopefully the OP is ok, but sometimes accidents like slips and falls happen and nobody is really to blame.

THANK YOU.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Duplicate post. AGAIN!

Edited by richsea

19 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You've refused to address my question. 

And you've refused to answer mine.  You/your wife seemed to be very annoyed that when giving the report later at guest services, the rep said "is that it?" afterward.  I've asked twice now what, specifically, you wanted the rep to do.  Did you want her to take the information?  It would appear that she did since you haven't said she didn't.  Did you want her to offer you a discount or OBC?  If she didn't, did you ask?  Did you want her to offer to send your wife to medical?  If she didn't, did you ask?  Although you don't need the permission of guest services to do so.   Could she have sounded more caring?  Absolutely.  But apart from her lack of empathetic reply, what end result were you looking for that you apparently did not get?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Direct cut and paste from the original thread several weeks ago.
This also had the photo that is in this thread which must have been taken when they returned of the stairs as it is daylight and not at at 2AM

"My wife slipped and fell down the tender stairs at 2AM, heading out to catch the sunrise in Maui.  The crew asked if she was alright, which she said that she thought so.  They then asked everyone else to freeze, while they wiped up the moisture on the steps with a couple towels.  A family that joined us on the tender were extremely sympathetic, and gave us their room #, offering to be witnesses.

Heading out towards the excursion, the pain increased.  We eventually ended up at urgent care, and found out she had a couple of abrasions, bruises, sprained back, and various pulled muscles.  Nothing that won't heal over the next week or so, but we wanted to be sure.

We eventually made an incident report that night, and guest service was completely indifferent.  She typed the information down, and asked, "Is that it?"  Awkward silence, we said yes it was.  She then immediately called the next guest over, without so much as a goodbye.

I assume that we are the ones negligent, and/or this type of situation is covered in their contract.  However, there is excessive rust on the side of the ship (wish I had taken a photo), and the paint is starting to wear away and develop pores on the steps.  It would be nice if they would keep it dry, or put anti skid strips down.  At the very least, we shouldn't be made to feel as if we're an inconvenience for informing the crew as to what happened."

As you can see, it is stated she told the crew that she believed she was alright and the incident report to guest services was not made until many, many hours later and not to the ships medical services at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

And you've refused to answer mine.  You/your wife seemed to be very annoyed that when giving the report later at guest services, the rep said "is that it?" afterward.  I've asked twice now what, specifically, you wanted the rep to do....

Have I made you feel ignored?  It is not personal, there are many on here making comments, suggestions, and asking questions.  If this were a slower thread, I could address everyone.

You can reference back to post 63, fourth paragraph, to answer your question.  What we've wanted hasn't changed.

29 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Have I made you feel ignored?  It is not personal, there are many on here making comments, suggestions, and asking questions.  If this were a slower thread, I could address everyone.

You can reference back to post 63, fourth paragraph, to answer your question.  What we've wanted hasn't changed.

You actually took a photo? When? At the time of the fall, or after you came back to the ship? What does your attorney say?

• Like 1

Op I feel for you. Everyone is criticizing without being In your shoes . As a doctor I see many patients the day after a fall when their injuries are in full swing. In the immediate period after a fall we have endorphins released that often mask the initial pain. As time goes by we start to feel the aches and pains. You reported your injuries when you felt them and it was up to them to complete the incident report. The guest services rep failed you but not surprising with what we witnessed on board. We often say never when we are still angry. Hopefully you will continue to cruise and improvements will be made based on your feedback. 

I hope you are feeling better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, richsea said:

1.  Your head must be hurting from banging it against that stone wall.

2.  I think you’ll find that most people onboard are pleasant.

1.  I am indeed headstrong about exterior maintenance that affects passenger safety.  Why should I yield on this issue?  Or is it only a virtue with something small, like pureed peas?

2.  I 100% agree.  I will go so far as to say that most will put fellow passenger well being, above their feelings and loyalty to the brand.  You're the one in the minority.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

On 5/9/2019 at 5:45 AM, markeb said:

No. They should have quickly got her information and followed up after the excursion if she believed she could continue. And that's for the company's benefit, not hers. An initial report wouldn't have to be disruptive to the customer, unless they were clearly injured. I'm confident they have procedures for that sort of thing.

OMG, if a cruise line followed up on everyone that tripped, fell or bumped something and didn't alert them immediately that they were hurt, they would following up with probably a huge amount of passengers a day.  If the OP was hurt, she should have let the crew member know and gone to medical right away.  When she said "I guess so" and continued on to the tender, the crew member believed that she was okay, so no further attention was needed.

I'm also wondering what exactly the OP wanted from Guest Services, since they didn't like their answer, and now corporate.  I have my idea, but I'd love to hear what the OP wants.  If the OP really only just wants the steps fixed, a simple letter would be in order, but......

BTW, folks we are on the ocean, things get wet and it is our due diligence to take that into consideration.  

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I'm also wondering what exactly the OP wanted from Guest Services, since they didn't like their answer, and now corporate.  I have my idea, but I'd love to hear what the OP wants.  If the OP really only just wants the steps fixed, a simple letter would be in order, but......

If you know how to get this properly addressed with a simple letter, I would appreciate your assistence.  That goes for anyone reading this, regardless of the motive, let's get this issue solved.

3 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If you know how to get this properly addressed with a simple letter, I would appreciate your assistence.  That goes for anyone reading this, regardless of the motive, let's get this issue solved.

I would write a non-dramatic professional letter to Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, where you are not playing the victim, like you have on here, and just explain the dangers you see with the steps and your suggestion as to how to make them safer for Celebrity passengers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I would write a non-dramatic professional letter to Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, where you are not playing the victim, like you have on here, and just explain the dangers you see with the steps and your suggestion as to how to make them safer for Celebrity passengers.

Why "I would"?  Go for it.

5 minutes ago, richsea said:

Go for it? You’re the with the issue.

I am stunned at the low expectations, and wouldn't have guessed it.  Advertised as "Modern Luxury", and the "Best Premium Cruise Line", yet many on here seem to believe that X is helpless and incompetent to evaluate their own maintenance and basic surface area infrastructure.  X can't just be informed about it either, there are special methods, times and day, or snail mail to help the lightbulb go off.   

So I have half a dozen cheerleaders waving their pom poms at me, I get the effort.  Dozens, if not hundreds, see it too.  😉