2 Quick drinking plan questions

Sorry to hijack the thread but have a drink related question.  I'm not really a drinker and my wife might have 10-12 alcoholic drinks at the most the entire 7 day cruise.  I've seen offers of a 10 drink package for around $79 offered in the cruise compass, days into the cruise, so is this available for purchase on day one or only offered mid-cruise?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but have a drink related question.  I'm not really a drinker and my wife might have 10-12 alcoholic drinks at the most the entire 7 day cruise.  I've seen offers of a 10 drink package for around $79 offered in the cruise compass, days into the cruise, so is this available for purchase on day one or only offered mid-cruise?

I suppose it could happen, but I've never seen the drink card offered on day 1.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:37 AM, sparks1093 said:

It really doesn't matter what the exact percentage is, it's still a matter of a few ruining it for the rest of us.

The point was not that.  The point was, assuming it was a minority.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

The point was not that.  The point was, assuming it was a minority.

I think it was, but a large enough minority for Royal to notice and change policy because of it. Of course we'll never know for sure because those numbers aren't available to us.

Do you have to pay for the drink package up front when you book it?  Noticed when I went in to look it was adding stuff to my cart with a $$ amount attributed to it.

3 minutes ago, Tasm3n said:

Do you have to pay for the drink package up front when you book it?  Noticed when I went in to look it was adding stuff to my cart with a $$ amount attributed to it.

Yes. Everything in cruise planner (excursions, drink packages, specialty dining, etc) is paid in full at time of purchase. You can cancel for a full refund at any time (up to 3 days before sailing online, or once on board)

4 minutes ago, Tasm3n said:

Yes. Just like if you book a specialty restaurant in advance. 

Thinking out loud here. I usually buy the refreshment package online for my wife. I then call and purchase the deluxe package for myself. Since I already have the refreshment package purchased they usually do not even say anything and go ahead and take my payment and I am done. What prevents me from just going back online and cancelling the refreshment package? I haven't done this because my wife wants the refreshment package. Just wondering what would happen.

45 minutes ago, WestTexasBySea said:

Thinking out loud here. I usually buy the refreshment package online for my wife. I then call and purchase the deluxe package for myself. Since I already have the refreshment package purchased they usually do not even say anything and go ahead and take my payment and I am done. What prevents me from just going back online and cancelling the refreshment package? I haven't done this because my wife wants the refreshment package. Just wondering what would happen.

Why don't you try that and then report the results here?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:53 AM, Iamcruzin said:

As some one said, the price and sales are based on how the package is selling. If every one purchased the package before it went on sale there would be no reason to lower the price so you should at least wait for a sale. For over a year I have been watching my deluxe drink package go from $52 to $49. My Anthem cruise is 28days out and the lowest price I have seen is $49. This is for a 9 day cruise with six sea days if you count embarkation day and Labadee.  I managed to get one deluxe package combined with surf and stream for one device for $59 and 1 refreshment package for $17 on Black Friday. While I didn't save much on the deluxe beverage package, by booking the combination with Zoom I saved about $5 a day on internet. The refreshment package price has been running between $20 and $26 since I purchased it on Black Friday. All in all I'm happy with the price I paid. If you plan on purchasing a combination such as this look at the whole picture. Compared to other lines $49 a day for a drink package is still a bargain. Celebrity bundles it in the cruise fare but last time I checked if you purchased it on board it was between $65 and $69. My son told me NCL was $99 on board if you didn't book it in a bundled cruise fare. and Princess was $59 the last time I checked. At a year out I wouldn't pull the trigger unless you come across a deep discount before Black Friday rolls around. I booked my June cruise in April last year and didn't see anything that would compel me to make a purchase until the Black Friday deal came around and I haven't found a cheaper price since.

Lowest beverage package that I saw prior to boarding was $45/ day.  Just off the Anthem on Sunday and onboard it was $66/day @ BOGO.  They also offered the drink card on day 4 and 5, I believe- 10 drinks for $79 and a 10 beer offer on day 6??  Not totally sure of this price- maybe $49 or $59?  Enjoy ur cruise on the Anthem- I really enjoyed the ship! 

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 10:08 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Why don't you try that and then report the results here?

I can confirm you can cancel the refreshment package and still have one confirmed deluxe package in the cabin. I am not sure though if it will be caught before sailing.

My DH and I will be on the Allure on December 15th, wanted to let everyone know that today RCCl is showing the Deluxe Drink Package for only $49.00 per day.  This is the cheapest it has been in a while.  Hope this helps save some money towards that awesome adventure.

14 hours ago, WestTexasBySea said:

I can confirm you can cancel the refreshment package and still have one confirmed deluxe package in the cabin. I am not sure though if it will be caught before sailing.

When are you sailing

On 5/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, Mr. Candyman said:

I have never seen the 10 drink card offered before the 4th day and it is not offered on all cruises.  I have sailed on Allure 4x.  Two of the 4x on Allure it was offered and those were cruises in January.  My summer cruises, June and July did not have the card offered.  

It depends upon how well the alcohol sales are going.  If alcohol is selling well, there is no need to offer those cards.  If sales are poor, then it will be offered to get those who aren't buying alcohol to do so.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Miloomar said:

When are you sailing

June 28th Ovation

On a side  note I have been able to buy the drink package just for myself while on board. You will not get a discount and it will save you about 50 bucks assuming you would have to buy a drink package and refreshment package at 30 percent off before the cruise.

20 hours ago, WestTexasBySea said:

I think you may have discovered a loophole. This is interesting and worth seeing whether this is caught prior to/during the cruise. If I had to bet, I’d bet you’re going to be fine.

3 hours ago, WestTexasBySea said:

June 28th Ovation

On a side  note I have been able to buy the drink package just for myself while on board. You will not get a discount and it will save you about 50 bucks assuming you would have to buy a drink package and refreshment package at 30 percent off before the cruise.

Well I look forward to your update to this thread in July to see if you got away with this loophole. I got plenty of time before my cruise 

• 7 months later...
On 5/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, WestTexasBySea said:

hey I just realized I never checked back in with you. Did this work out? Or did you get caught

It is annoying but I understand that people don't always do what they should,my Wife likes a drink,I'm not allowed alcohol so for our recent repo cruise on Quantum when we got on board she was offered the ultimate which was coming in at nearly £700 while I was told that I at least had to have the soda package with speciality coffees,given that I don't like coffee & don't drink soda it really was an offer we could refuse!

In the end we went with buying whatever drinks we wanted when we wanted them & both ran up bills totalling around $200,right decision for a change!