Full English Breakfast?

1 hour ago, little britain said:

On Explorer now; chicken sausages, pork sausages and “English bangers” ... their words!

Yes, also black pudding.  

Great news 🙂

Can you get a good cup of tea on a Morning or would you recommend bringing some tea bags?

2 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Great news 🙂

Can you get a good cup of tea on a Morning or would you recommend bringing some tea bags?

It’s Tetleys which suits me.

Will check mushroom 🍄 and 🍅 situation tomorrow.  It is the triangular hash browns...

22 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

'English' bacon is available in both MDR and Windjammer but NOT room service. The problem is that it is cooked either under a grill or in the oven and the rashers are overlapped and become 'welded' to one another during cooking so a self-serve single slice in the Windjammer is an impossibility.

Sausages vary in quality dramatically. Post Indy refurb the 'English Bangers' were sourced from Germany and had a taste hitherto unknown to man. What's more they are just pointed in the general direction of the grill and never spend any time under it.

Fried bread is not always available in the Windjammer - it seems to alternate with French Toast. The finish varies - it is not usually fried but 'deep fried'. When available it is better than P&O's whose fried bread is over an inch thick.

Avoid Corned Beef Hash. Needless to say mine is best, but there seems to be no set recipe on RCI as I've unearthed any mixture of vegetables in it, and it comes in a variety of colours!

Regards,

Cublet

You seem to imply all ships, all itineraries.  And that is NOT so.

Maybe out of UK.

But I have never seen English bacon.  But I have seen Canadian bacon, mainly for Eggs Benedict.

Never seen fried bread or bangers.  I have seen a poor excuse for ink sausages.  Never black pudding.

Most times sauteed mushrooms and grilled tomatos are available.

I agree, the corned beef hash is HORRIBLE.  They stuff out of a can is better.  It is watery and mushy on board.

44 minutes ago, little britain said:

Will check mushroom 🍄 and 🍅 situation tomorrow.  It is the triangular hash browns...

Yeah Tetleys isnt bad, better than the usual English Breakfast tea you get when abroad.

Will probabaly chuck a box of Yorkshire in though.

21 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Not very traditional to a Full English but adding a good old American hash brown to the mix goes down a treat.

I have never seen good hash browns either. Just the soggy, limp hash brown patties.  McD's are at least crisp on the outside.

Being a Brit expatriate now living in the US, imagine my delight seeing black pudding, ayrshire bacon, pork links, beans, fried tomatoes, and even potato scones on our cruise on board Brilliance out of Barcelona 2017.

7 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Being a Brit expatriate now living in the US, imagine my delight seeing black pudding, ayrshire bacon, pork links, beans, fried tomatoes, and even potato scones on our cruise on board Brilliance out of Barcelona 2017.

Living the dream.  What's a potato scone though?

6 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Great news 🙂

I bring tea bags, in fact, I just packed more for Alaska cruise on Monday.   I also bring an acrylic tumbler for making iced tea.  I cannot abide ship iced tea.  

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I have never seen good hash browns either. Just the soggy, limp hash brown patties.  McD's are at least crisp on the outside.

I actually enjoy the hash browns.  I've always been able to find nice crispy ones 🙂

On Allure I have had the English bacon every morning in the WJ.  I have also seen the tomatoes.

I realize this is not part of a traditional English breakfast, but Allure has the best crispy hash browns in the WJ.  The potatoes that come with breakfast in the MDR are gross.

6 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Living the dream.  What's a potato scone though?

A potato scone is a flat, triangular shaped flatbread looking thing. It's made using flour and potatoes served warm. More Scottish than English!

7 hours ago, SRF said:

I wish McD's has crisp hashbrowns, in my experience they have been as bad as their fries, absolutely gross. 

10 minutes ago, *twinkle* said:

It is a good substitute, which I would recommend if you don't like bacon with lots of fat running through it (like American streaky-type bacon).   

Hey, don't be bashing bacon, no matter where it comes from. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 2:11 PM, little britain said:

They must have gone to Morrison’s in Gibraltar yesterday..... this morning the English bangers were back .... and there were sautéed mushrooms.  They were ok.  Purely for research purposes I also had the fried bread... delicious!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2019 at 9:59 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

'English' bacon is available in both MDR and Windjammer but NOT room service. The problem is that it is cooked either under a grill or in the oven and the rashers are overlapped and become 'welded' to one another during cooking so a self-serve single slice in the Windjammer is an impossibility.

Sausages vary in quality dramatically. Post Indy refurb the 'English Bangers' were sourced from Germany and had a taste hitherto unknown to man. What's more they are just pointed in the general direction of the grill and never spend any time under it.

Fried bread is not always available in the Windjammer - it seems to alternate with French Toast. The finish varies - it is not usually fried but 'deep fried'. When available it is better than P&O's whose fried bread is over an inch thick.

Avoid Corned Beef Hash. Needless to say mine is best, but there seems to be no set recipe on RCI as I've unearthed any mixture of vegetables in it, and it comes in a variety of colours!

Regards,

Cublet

I would KILL for a slice of that fried bread right now.  Just when I thought I'd be able to stop dreaming of it, SOMEONE has to go mention it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, squadron said:

You are right.  Canadian bacon is also called peameal  bacon - has cornmeal  on outside.  I find it bland  with no smoked taste

That is not what most people are referring to when they say canadian bacon though. only canadians know what peameal bacon is, everyone else, when saying canadian bacon is talking about just normal smoked back bacon. 

Recently on Serenade, I was able to get a sort of English breakfast in the MDR and the windjammer.  American bacon, if you look around on the buffet they did have British sausage, fried tomato halfs, baked beans, fried eggs and surprisingly black pudding.  Couple of days I had to ask for black pudding,  but twice it was on the buffet.