Koningsdam creaking in cabins - how big a problem?

We sailed on Koningsdam last year and I heard some creaking at night in the wall near my side of the bed. We were in cabin 4043, which is one of the sideways oriented cabins and the bed was against the wall with cabin 4041 (I was in the top right corner of the cabin when looking at the attached deck plan). I just read a review from someone who was on board this March and he complained about creaking in cabin 4057 which is a normally oriented cabin (his review is titled "Room 4057 - The Creaking Room").

I recently booked another cruise on Koningsdam so I'm wondering how prevalent this problem is and whether I'll run into it again. I booked a VF guarantee this time so I won't be in VH (both 4043 and 4057 are VH) and won't be in that immediate area. Is this only a problem on cabins in that area of deck 4, or is it a problem on other decks as well? I could potentially end up on deck 4 again since there are also VB and VF cabins there (but at the front and aft of the ship).

I also wonder how aware HAL is of this situation and whether it's a problem on Nieuw Statendam as well.

KO Deck 4.JPG

Edited by MisterBill99

I was in 6193 on Koningsdam in 2017 and there was definitely a creaking problem.  My room steward heard it and the front desk girl who came also heard it.  I solved it by reversing the bed and sleeping with my head at the foot and my feet at the head.  The creaking was most prominent when you were close to the walls.

1 minute ago, dfish said:

I was in 6193 on Koningsdam in 2017 and there was definitely a creaking problem.  My room steward heard it and the front desk girl who came also heard it.  I solved it by reversing the bed and sleeping with my head at the foot and my feet at the head.  The creaking was most prominent when you were close to the walls.

Wow, and that's an inside cabin!

How was the ship going through the water? Was there a current, or waves coming from a particular direction?

My cabin on Veendam creaked the first several days going south toward the top of South America. When the sea and our direction changed, the creaking stopped.

Got to say, I rather missed it. I love lively seas.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I kind of think that all ships creak when there is movement ... but it sounds like your issue was more than the normal amount you'd expect to hear on any cruise ship.  Were the seas rough?  

I don't recall the seas being particularly rough.

4 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

We sailed on Koningsdam last year and I heard some creaking at night in the wall near my side of the bed. We were in cabin 4043, which is one of the sideways oriented cabins and the bed was against the wall with cabin 4041 (I was in the top right corner of the cabin when looking at the attached deck plan). I just read a review from someone who was on board this March and he complained about creaking in cabin 4057 which is a normally oriented cabin (his review is titled "Room 4057 - The Creaking Room").

I recently booked another cruise on Koningsdam so I'm wondering how prevalent this problem is and whether I'll run into it again. I booked a VF guarantee this time so I won't be in VH (both 4043 and 4057 are VH) and won't be in that immediate area. Is this only a problem on cabins in that area of deck 4, or is it a problem on other decks as well? I could potentially end up on deck 4 again since there are also VB and VF cabins there (but at the front and aft of the ship).

I also wonder how aware HAL is of this situation and whether it's a problem on Nieuw Statendam as well.

KO Deck 4.JPG

We had creaking in #4042 , another sideways room.. We found that room to be very dark.!

1 hour ago, jeda4137 said:

We had creaking in #4042 , another sideways room.. We found that room to be very dark.!

You probably didn't leave the bathroom light on at night. I like to leave it on and leave the door open a crack so I can find my way there at night. My point was that in a normal room, the bathroom is in the hallway (can't think of a better term) to the cabin door so you don't see it from the bed (at least not right across from it).

Edited by MisterBill99

The TV creaks so I wedged a towel between the tv and the wall. Of course make sure the doors are all closed. I had the fridge cleared and only had my water bottle. The umbrella, of all things, was making a noise against something in the closet, I stashed it under the bed. 

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

You probably didn't leave the bathroom light on at night. I like to leave it on and leave the door open a crack so I can find my way there at night. My point was that in a normal room, the bathroom is in the hallway (can't think of a better term) to the cabin door so you don't see it from the bed (at least not right across from it).

We always carry our own night lights , so no problem at night.

Found the room dark and dreary when we walked in during the day.  #4042 and  #4046 had an extra window along with patio doors, but # 4044 did not only patio door at the end of room.

3 hours ago, jeda4137 said:

Correction !  We were in cabin #4044 not #4042. #4044 or #4046 would have been better choices  than #4042

My creaky cabin was on a 14 day Voyage of the Midnight Sun out of Amsterdam.  The first few days out of Amsterdam I did not notice the creakiness.  Then, it started creaking until the last few days of the cruise.  Makes no sense as the first few were in open waters and most of the middle was in protected fjords.

28 minutes ago, jeda4137 said:

Correction !  We were in cabin #4044 not #4042. #4044 or #4046 would have been better choices  than #4042

Yeah, 4044 is the same layout as 4043 on the other side of the ship. They can't have a window because it would look out onto the balcony of 4041/4042 (which have a standard layout except there is a window where the balcony would be and the balcony is on the side, in front of where the bed sits in 4043/4044).

4045/4046 are the alternate layouts with a double wide balcony. I will admit that when I originally booked the cabin, I thought that 4043 also had a double wide cabin, before finally realizing that half of it belonged to 4041.

33 minutes ago, dfish said:

My creaky cabin was on a 14 day Voyage of the Midnight Sun out of Amsterdam.  The first few days out of Amsterdam I did not notice the creakiness.  Then, it started creaking until the last few days of the cruise.  Makes no sense as the first few were in open waters and most of the middle was in protected fjords.

That's the cruise I was on, in June. I don't recall when it started, but I know it was annoying.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The TV creaks so I wedged a towel between the tv and the wall.

That's an interesting idea. The TV was on the wall where I heard the creaking, although I thought it was in the corner next to the bed, while the TV was further down the wall.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The TV creaks so I wedged a towel between the tv and the wall. Of course make sure the doors are all closed. I had the fridge cleared and only had my water bottle. The umbrella, of all things, was making a noise against something in the closet, I stashed it under the bed. 

The towel trick makes sense, but never thought of it.  One rough night it came right out from the wall as it was on a swivel .

8 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yeah, 4044 is the same layout as 4043 on the other side of the ship. They can't have a window because it would look out onto the balcony of 4041/4042 (which have a standard layout except there is a window where the balcony would be and the balcony is on the side, in front of where the bed sits in 4043/4044).

4045/4046 are the alternate layouts with a double wide balcony. I will admit that when I originally booked the cabin, I thought that 4043 also had a double wide cabin, before finally realizing that half of it belonged to 4041.

We did enjoy the deeper balcony that belonged to #4044, but not as long as other 2.  .  We made the same mistake thinking we had a huge balcony. They need to hang a big mirror or picture on that big blank wall next to the TV. that hits you when entering.

we started leaving our TV on to AFT channel nice music playing and looked like a picture when entering the room. Took your eyes off the wall. That wall  even made ceiling feel lower and I am short person. Almost like inside cabin - however never have booked one of those, because too dark for me. Found bed too be close to the door (31/2 Ft) and could hear some noises at times, even breakfast carts it the morning.

15 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I meaning no offence- but when on board a ship I know the " THING" moves- so I expect - yes I love a bit of a movement and creaking and rattling...!

If you'd experienced the noise I (and apparently others) did, you would know that it's not the normal noise that you hear on ships. Especially the person who put it in the title of the review I provided the link to earlier.

Edited by MisterBill99