Possibly unpopular opinion - Havanna area is meh

Mr. Nazzy

If you don't want to pay for/stay in the Havana, no one is forcing you.  I really don't understand why these topics rile people up.  I think it's great that different ships offer different options.  There's something for everyone and that's how it should be.  Should I get to stay in the Deluxe Owner's Suite and only pay for an inside room?  Of course not.  Should I not pay for FTTF but expect to be at the front of the line?  Or expect a free meal in the steakhouse that charges a fee?  There are all kinds of examples of paying more to get more on a cruise, I don't see how the Havana is any different.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

If you don't want to pay for/stay in the Havana, no one is forcing you.  I really don't understand why these topics rile people up.  I think it's great that different ships offer different options.  There's something for everyone and that's how it should be.  Should I get to stay in the Deluxe Owner's Suite and only pay for an inside room?  Of course not.  Should I not pay for FTTF but expect to be at the front of the line?  Or expect a free meal in the steakhouse that charges a fee?  There are all kinds of examples of paying more to get more on a cruise, I don't see how the Havana is any different.

Well said!  Pay for what you want to make your vacation great!

• Like 1

I just got off the Horizon on Sunday where I stayed in a Havana Cabana.  As you all have said it is a choice.  I chose to stay in this section for the relaxed atmosphere around the pool and not having to get up early to get a chair.  The bar service was amazing.  They always had someone walking around taking drink orders while also having two bartenders on sea days.  All of us work hard and have hectic lifestyles so when someone chooses to spend their money to spend one week to be less hectic so be it.  I will only cruise in the Havana section from now on.

• Like 4

My gosh, what have I started haha.  I appreciate everyone's passion on this forum.  I have no regrets about booking the Havana area, nor the extra price we paid for the experience.  We got what was advertised - an adults only area with a dedicated pool, hot tubs, and a bar. Carnival did a good job checking wristbands and politely asked non-Havana guests to leave on several occasions.  I guess I just expected more - better service primarily.  If you want a relaxing cruise, with no kids around, and mediocre service, then Havana is a good option if budget allows.  Regarding service, if Carnival would staff a 2nd bartender at Havana, much of the mediocreness would be resolved.  One bartender is truly overworked.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Nazzy said:

My gosh, what have I started haha.  I appreciate everyone's passion on this forum.  I have no regrets about booking the Havana area, nor the extra price we paid for the experience.  We got what was advertised - an adults only area with a dedicated pool, hot tubs, and a bar. Carnival did a good job checking wristbands and politely asked non-Havana guests to leave on several occasions.  I guess I just expected more - better service primarily.  If you want a relaxing cruise, with no kids around, and mediocre service, then Havana is a good option if budget allows.  Regarding service, if Carnival would staff a 2nd bartender at Havana, much of the mediocreness would be resolved.  One bartender is truly overworked.

Just curious if you mentioned the lack of bar service to GS?  If, yes, what was their response?  I get that it is only one bar out of many on the ship, and just because it is the Havana area does not mean no waiting at all.  I think I would have said something about the bartenders lack of enthusiasm??

6 minutes ago, Mr. Nazzy said:

Regarding service, if Carnival would staff a 2nd bartender at Havana, much of the mediocreness would be resolved.  One bartender is truly overworked.

12 minutes ago, Hogs1985 said:

I just got off the Horizon on Sunday where I stayed in a Havana Cabana..... The bar service was amazing.  They always had someone walking around taking drink orders while also having two bartenders on sea days.

Obviously it all depends on your sailing as to the number of bartenders, whether or not someone walked around taking orders or not and thus the level of service.

Just now, nissach said:

Just curious if you mentioned the lack of bar service to GS?  If, yes, what was their response?  I get that it is only one bar out of many on the ship, and just because it is the Havana area does not mean no waiting at all.  I think I would have said something about the bartenders lack of enthusiasm??

I mentioned the need for a 2nd bartender in my post cruise survey but not to guest services.  I would never expect no waiting, but I waited longer at the Havana than any other bar on the ship.  So far as the grumpy bartender... I just let it go.  His grumpiness wasn't directed at us.  I won't call out people by name and potentially impact their livliehood over something like this. Like I said, I had an amazing vacation. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mr. Nazzy said:

I mentioned the need for a 2nd bartender in my post cruise survey but not to guest services.  I would never expect no waiting, but I waited longer at the Havana than any other bar on the ship.  So far as the grumpy bartender... I just let it go.  His grumpiness wasn't directed at us.  I won't call out people by name and potentially impact their livliehood over something like this. Like I said, I had an amazing vacation. 

Well, I am glad despite some issues you still had a great cruise!!  That in the end is really what matters.

37 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

There is no comparing the Red Frog Bar to the Havana bar because the red Frog Bar is 100% inside and the Havana Bar is 50% inside/50% outside.  And I am glad you'll pay the extra 250 per person once you're old enough to drink and have a job to pay for your cruise.  And you will realize why we need bars when we have to deal with posters like you.  (just kidding, hope school is going well and good luck on your finals)

Cruise Critic should add a rule that you are not allowed to post on this site until you have 100% paid for your own cruise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Obviously it all depends on your sailing as to the number of bartenders, whether or not someone walked around taking orders or not and thus the level of service.

We had wait service but did not find them to be the best either, although they were way friendlier.  But it still took awhile and on the rare occasion they made the drink themselves, it wasn't as good.  The surly bartenders definitely made the best drinks and I didn't mind waiting, I wasn't in a hurry.

We felt similar to the OP, the bartenders didn't make or break the cruise and it wasn't worth complaining about or possibly getting them into trouble.  They were simply overworked.

Edited by Beachiekeen

35 minutes ago, Mr. Nazzy said:

I barely drink on cruises, so If i can just get some peace, chairs, and pool/hot tub space, I'm even more excited about Havana than before.  So thanks for starting this thread, you've convinced me I will enjoy Havana.  

17 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

I barely drink on cruises, so If i can just get some peace, chairs, and pool/hot tub space, I'm even more excited about Havana than before.  So thanks for starting this thread, you've convinced me I will enjoy Havana.  

You are welcome... I think haha.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.  I hope no one is under the impression I'm difficult to please.  I'm not.  I enjoyed it very much.  Just not enough to justify the extra expense on the next cruise.

We enjoyed our time on the Havana deck.  We had a lanai along the starboard side. Only people going by were folks in other cabins on our side.  Might be different for the lanais in the middle.  We had a lounger, a chair. a swing chair a foot rest a small table.  Still lots of room.   I will agree that bar service can be slow when they only have 1 bartender working inside and outside, but inside during the day is dead, And we had no problems with service when we needed it.  As we both had our phones with music, we weren't bothered by what ever was piped in.  At least it wasn't the blaring EDM, hip hop,rap stuff often rotated on the Lido deck that you can hear all the way up to the Serenity deck.

We loved the convenience of the location to most of the stuff we do.

I do agree the Havana deck on the Mardi Gras appears to be an after thought.  We've booked a cove balcony, which is on deck 5 not 4. 

But different strokes for different folks, which is why they offer a variety of cabin configurations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Thanks for posting your thoughts.  The whole idea of a separate class on the ship is distasteful to me.

No different than first class on a plane, you pay more you get better.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of paying for more than an interior room. Paying 50%-100% more doesn't make my vacation equally more enjoyable. Mostly because I don't want to be in the room anyway.

With that said, I have been interested in trying Havana, but I'm still not sure that I would like it that much more. I think the private pool area would be nice, and not fighting with chair hogs is also great. However, I LOVE the action at Lido. Contests, steel drums, music, etc. That fun vibe is important to me. I sometimes hit up the Serenity for some quiet, but the bulk of my time is at Lido. The bar doesn't seem that compelling to me either. I'm torn if I would really like it. I'll probably try it eventually.

I can't understand why some people hate this OPTION. Options are what makes cruising the fantastic vacation it is. Now if they start to withhold "standard options" for the "higher classes," I'll grab the pitchfork with you. Until then, I don't understand the hate. There are absolutely people who love everything Carnival has to offer, but would like something different during the day. If it's not detracting from your vacation, what's the big deal?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

However, I LOVE the action at Lido. Contests, steel drums, music, etc. That fun vibe is important to me. I sometimes hit up the Serenity for some quiet, but the bulk of my time is at Lido.

I didn't mention this earlier, but I fully agree.  I definitely felt like I missed out on some of the things that made previous cruises so memorable.  I felt compelled to spend the majority of my time in the Havana area because I paid extra for it. 

A snippet from a post I made elsewhere on the site recently, I understand where you're coming from and I feel similar:

A few cons I recall from the Havana, was the fact that the furniture is not as comfortable as the Serenity deck. The loungers have no pads, just bare chair and the round day beds are split into separate cushions, so you can slide between them. Pictures of both the day bed and loungers are in this thread. Also, if you prefer the tranquility of the Serenity (peace and quiet), Havana might not be a match. They play music the entire time. It's not as loud as lido or anything, but I did find it distracting. We stayed on the ship the entire cruise and on port days stayed at Serenity and went to the spa heated loungers. On sea days, we stayed in Havana. I would not splurge for spa access again on this class of ship. It's on opposite end of the ship from Havana and there is no thalassotherapy pool.

If I were to go again, I probably would still get an Havana interior or Havana aft balcony. I definitely would not get a Havana cabana patio. If I had money to splurge on a balcony big enough to have a lounger, I would probably get that over Havana. But I do prefer to do my reading from a lounger vs an upright chair.

Hope that helps. And if you care, the Havana interior we were in on Horizon was cabin 7457.

Something I put in my review was that I would look at the Fun Times every day for a reason to go to the main pool and I just couldn't find one.  There didn't seem to be as much happening there as on other cruises.  We went once to eat our Guy's and to try and listen to the drums but it was so loud and crowded and obnoxious, especially after the Havana, we couldn't enjoy it and couldn't wait to leave.  

That is true about the loungers--most people had their towels clipped to them.  But since we like to set up in the shade, we never used them.  That was another great thing for us about the Havana--my group has to have shade to escape to at all times.

Our Havana extended balcony was one of my favorite rooms I've had on a cruise, we really loved it.  It was a splurge for my 50th but well worth it.

Edited by Beachiekeen

32 minutes ago, five. said:

I guess the neck pillows didn't make it.  None on the loungers on our cruise. Your comments on the pool temp are similar to my experience.  There was only really one day the water in the pool was not really cold.  I still jumped in a couple of the cold days, but not without some temporary discomfort.  Also note, it is salt water.  I learned that the hard way.

6 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I've never had one if these staterooms, probably never will.  I don't see the attraction.  There is no balcony, just a porch with people walking by. I understand some love them.  Not for me.

I totally agree! I would never like to have just a porch area, and not a true balcony. But if someone was willing to give it to me free, I’d take it, but never pay for it. I like my privacy way too much. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I can't understand why some people hate this OPTION. Options are what makes cruising the fantastic vacation it is. Now if they start to withhold "standard options" for the "higher classes," I'll grab the pitchfork with you. Until then, I don't understand the hate. There are absolutely people who love everything Carnival has to offer, but would like something different during the day. If it's not detracting from your vacation, what's the big deal?

Maybe not withholding service but with all the pay extra options for food, the MDR has gone downhill and what was standard service and quality is now only available if you pay extra.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I totally agree! I would never like to have just a porch area, and not a true balcony. But if someone was willing to give it to me free, I’d take it, but never pay for it. I like my privacy way too much. 

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. (whatever that means😀)

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'm not a fan of paying for more than an interior room. Paying 50%-100% more doesn't make my vacation equally more enjoyable. Mostly because I don't want to be in the room anyway.

With that said, I have been interested in trying Havana, but I'm still not sure that I would like it that much more. I think the private pool area would be nice, and not fighting with chair hogs is also great. However, I LOVE the action at Lido. Contests, steel drums, music, etc. That fun vibe is important to me. I sometimes hit up the Serenity for some quiet, but the bulk of my time is at Lido. The bar doesn't seem that compelling to me either. I'm torn if I would really like it. I'll probably try it eventually.

We have stayed in both balconies and inside.  I agree that a balcony does not necessarily improve my vacation, but I have enjoyed them.  I also have no issue with an inside room, as you said, I don't want to be in the room all the time.

I am hoping that we do enjoy the Havana experience as the interior rooms were the same price as a cove balcony.  I expect we will due to the no kids(under12) allowed and the idea of not fighting for chairs.  I don't dislike children, I am a teacher after all, but I do like my vacations to be as kid free as possible!

8 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

No one is ever forcing you to stay in a Havana Cabana cabin.  If you want a true balcony in the Havana area, there are many aft facing traditional balconies to choose from or you could stay in an inside cabin....since you like your privacy too much.