Smoking and Coco Cay

Just back from our Symphony of the Seas cruise where yesterday we visited Coco Cay.

Since there has been talk/questions about smoking areas on Coco Cay, I did a bit of investigation even though I am not a smoker.

Short answer is there are smoking areas near the various bars, but not necessarily right next to the bar.

Here are the locations I found.

1.  Wacky Seagull Junior Bar.  This is the bar that has a deck right next to it where smoking is permitted.  This has been reported before.

2.  On the sand path from  the sign for the floating tiki hut bar to the Oasis Lagoon swim up bar

3.  Around the Kayak Station as you continue towards south beach.  This place has loungers and shade.  Although their is a near by bar it is not marked on the map.

4.  On South Beach, there is a bar that has a smoking area next door to it.  If you have a map of Coco Cay it is near number 15

Note currently the area slated for Coco Beach Club has no construction activity going on, so you can walk the entire beach to South Beach.

I didn't visit the water park but my guess there is probably a smoking area somewhere in it.  My guess is that there may be others particulary near Skipper's Grill or Captain Jack's

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, matj2000 said:

For someone who "doesn't smoke".

You seem to know a great detail about it.

A little too much......

Yes do not smoke.  Tried it once when I was a teenager, and didn't get the point.  So didn't start smoking

There was thread where the smoking areas was discussed with only the Wacky Seagull Junior Bar having a consensus of having smoking.

Since one of Cruise Critic is to exchange information, I decided while I was there, as I walked around I would make note of the smoking areas, to pass along here.  I would be walking around anyways, so was trying to help the smokers as they think about upcoming trips to Coco Cay.

Don't get the comment "A little too much..."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

On 5/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, Namelocg said:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this. Some of us do appreciate the information.

I thank you as well.  It is always refreshing and helpful when a poster offers good, usable info as opposed to snarky comments which seem to be the stock in trade of some others!

• Thanks 1

I also don't smoke but think the information could be useful for those very sensitive to smoke that want to plan where they don't want to be, and for smokers to plan where they do want to be.  Surprised you caught shade but, then again, maybe not.  Here is a map for anyone looking to line up with the descriptions.  

44E16380-0A23-4EED-A651-F9FF0BF44937.jpe

oh those hypocrates who state all smokers as " BAD PEOPLE"- my my, what a time i must have been up to the 90´s - so many bad people around.. and no I don´t smoke- I just can´t stand those winers and complainers - who are unable to breath when walking through a smoking area...!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

oh those hypocrates who state all smokers as " BAD PEOPLE"- my my, what a time i must have been up to the 90´s - so many bad people around.. and no I don´t smoke- I just can´t stand those winers and complainers - who are unable to breath when walking through a smoking area...!

Ok, I guess I missed it...who called smokers "bad people?"  We don't smoke, don't want to be around smoke, my wife's very sensitive to it.  So it's good information for ME to know where the smoking areas are so we can avoid them.  We're going to Coco Cay in Sep. so this is good info for me.  So how in anyway does wanting to avoid smoking areas be interpreted as calling smokers "bad people?"  Weird.  Or did I simply miss the post? 

• Like 1

I just hate that vaping and smoking cigarettes are all treated the same...everywhere. Started using e-cigs to get away from cigarettes, yet I am constantly forced to join them to get nicotine. Guarantee you my Banana Custard e-juice smells better than most of the gaudy perfume I smell all the time all over vacation areas and there is no concerns of '2nd hand' issues as nothing in them is toxic. My doctor has attested to that multiple times.

I do keep my vaping respectful and dont do it around anybody or blow vape clouds towards anyone.

• Like 2

We were just there a week ago today and I can also add that there was a smoking section about 20-30 feet away from the pool bar section of the Oasis Lagoon.

For anyone heading there, we had the best time, and our group was age 3 up to age 70! Fun had by all :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Who? Know one here is complaining let alone being Hypocrites. Think you need to read the posts before responding

21 minutes ago, KG1924 said:

We were just there a week ago today and I can also add that there was a smoking section about 20-30 feet away from the pool bar section of the Oasis Lagoon.

For anyone heading there, we had the best time, and our group was age 3 up to age 70! Fun had by all 🙂

I think my item 2 covers this, thanks for clarification for the distance from the pool bar.

Also thanks for the people who understood what I was trying to do in starting this thread.  While a non-smoker, I was just trying to help my smoking and non-smoking brethren. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

So how in anyway does wanting to avoid smoking areas be interpreted as calling smokers "bad people?"  Weird.  Or did I simply miss the post? 

It was only the second post, which may have been a late night joke, that some took as a little snarly b/c it essentially accused the OP of being a smoker but calling themselves a non-smoker (i.e. lying).  No big deal; probably won't become a smoking thread with bickering and such, or I'd hope not.

If someone were to circle smoking spots on a map or add locations not yet mentioned, perhaps that could be useful, otherwise it can roll on off to be found in searches.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:33 PM, matj2000 said:

For someone who "doesn't smoke".

You seem to know a great detail about it.

A little too much......

Non smokers appreciate this sort of information as it makes it easier to avoid the areas entirely.

It's unfortunate some refuse to accept helpfulness by others.

• Like 1

Thank You Gator for taking the time to inform us where there are smoking areas.

While i don't smoke  a lot i like to have a cig with a cocktail LOL

I certainly don't want to offend anyone so i appreciate where the designated areas are.  Just hope they have an area by the Bungalows.

Maybe you can help me out a little more.  I rented a bungalow not a cabana.  i think i read somewhere that these bungalows are on South beach?  I've looked over the maps but i cant seem to find exactly where these are.  

Would you happen to know by any chance?

Thank you i appreciate your help

Liz💐

8 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We sat at one of the beaches two weeks ago  and someone a few loungers away from us just lit up and started smoking. 

M

It would be nice if they at least walked away from the other loungers to a more remote area. The harder it is for smokers to find the smoking areas (no maps etc), the more likely they are to just smoke where they are.  

Knowing ahead of time where smoking sections are might allow smokers to set up in the general area and know where they need to walk over to for a smoke.  It's not like quiting smoking for the day is a realistic option for smokers.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nanowerx said:

Guarantee you my Banana Custard e-juice smells better than most of the gaudy perfume I smell all the time all over vacation areas and there is no concerns of '2nd hand' issues as nothing in them is toxic. My doctor has attested to that multiple times.

That’s your opinion regarding the smell. 

Show me one competent Doctor who would say putting anything other than natural air in one’s lungs (except when medically necessary) is beneficial to you?  Sure, it may be better than smoking but that doesn’t mean vaping is good for you and those around you. 

In my opinion

22 hours ago, gatour said:

I think my item 2 covers this, thanks for clarification for the distance from the pool bar.

Also thanks for the people who understood what I was trying to do in starting this thread.  While a non-smoker, I was just trying to help my smoking and non-smoking brethren. 

I'm so sorry!! I totally missed that in your original post!!

And I feel like this was a great post for both smokers and non-smokers alike. I unfortunately (for me) was the only one left in my group that still does (I know, it's gross and believe me, I know it needs to end!!) so it's nice to be somewhat prepared on where to step away to as needed. The positive of being the sole smoker in a group is that you definitely smoke WAY less when you don't have a buddy or two to go with you 🙂

9 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s your opinion regarding the smell. 

Show me one competent Doctor who would say putting anything other than natural air in one’s lungs (except when medically necessary) is beneficial to you?  Sure, it may be better than smoking but that doesn’t mean vaping is good for you and those around you. 

In my opinion

Where did I say my doctor said it was beneficial? Just that it wasn't toxic. Of course it isn't 'good' for you, but it isn't bad for you either. The 3 main ingredients are nicotine, polypropylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. PG is FDA approved and used in food preservatives and VG is FDA approved and used in inhalers and fog machines, they are not harmful and actually do provide HELP for people with lung/breathing issues. On top of that, nicotine is only as harmful as caffeine, its not cancerous.

The More You Know...

Edited by nanowerx
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SAmome said:

It would be nice if they at least walked away from the other loungers to a more remote area. The harder it is for smokers to find the smoking areas (no maps etc), the more likely they are to just smoke where they are.  

Knowing ahead of time where smoking sections are might allow smokers to set up in the general area and know where they need to walk over to for a smoke.  It's not like quiting smoking for the day is a realistic option for smokers.  

I saw a lady speak to the lifeguard and a couple of minutes later the lifeguard said something to the smoker and she put the cigarette out. 

Smoking/non smoking areas are not well marked. 

M

2 hours ago, nanowerx said:

Where did I say my doctor said it was beneficial? Just that it wasn't toxic. Of course it isn't 'good' for you, but it isn't bad for you either. The 3 main ingredients are nicotine, polypropylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. PG is FDA approved and used in food preservatives and VG is FDA approved and used in inhalers and fog machines, they are not harmful and actually do provide HELP for people with lung/breathing issues. On top of that, nicotine is only as harmful as caffeine, its not cancerous.

The More You Know...

Case reported seizures and popcorn lung. 

Good luck with your lungs. Smoking was good for everyone too until they found out it wasn’t. 

In my opinion and a friend 

• Like 2