Bringing food back on ship at San Francisco port

Idacruiser77

On 5/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, karatemom2 said:

And there it is - the reason I stopped posting here for the last few years. I just decided to dip my toe back in the water this past few weeks after our most recent cruise, but now I remember why I left. 

There was a post here by one of the experts saying that the rules were different between US and non-US

ports.   There have been several posts by folks who have recounted bring food on board.

But, the only thing we should believe is your post?

You seem to have trouble accepting opinions that differ from your own.

I have brought food on board many time.   I have brought helium balloons onboard that

are specifically disallowed....

As you said you will be staying away,  I won't be expecting a reply...

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, Idacruiser77 said:

I can't seem to get a 100% answer, either from message boards or Princess. We'll be in San Francisco on our West Coast cruise (leaving from LA) but was curious if we'd be able to stop by Whole Foods or anything while in port and bring the food back on. Preferably without "sneaking" it on. I know it needs to be non-perishable and prepackaged in your pre-cruise homeport but what is the rule during your cruise. Does it matter that it's a US port? 

Yes, I am aware that the ship has food on it so just figured I'd save a few of you that comment 😉 We eat a vegan diet and don't expect the cruise line to fully accommodate us so we'd like to snag some extra stuff in port if possible to make the trip a little easier. Thanks in advance everyone! 

OK to bring food onboard.  

I usually buy a couple of Dungeness crabs at Fisherman’s Wharf and have one of the chefs steam them up for me.

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2019 at 1:13 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

We brought on all kinds of Ghirardelli chocolate just a couple weeks ago mid-cruise.  No one even batted an eyelid.

Were they packaged?  My understanding is that you can't bring like leftovers from a meal you had at a port of call, but things you buy in a candy shop etc. is ok.

Pooh

Hi there - I'm new to these Boards but have been cruising for many years and find this really confusing. We were on a Canada/New England cruise and I tried to bring a bag containing fresh cannolis onboard that I had purchased in Boston. They stopped us and told us we couldn't bring them onboard - our choice was to throw them away or eat them before boarding. So we stopped and went and set on a bench at the dock and scarfed them down. I never tried to bring anything unwrapped after that experience. Also, after that I have seen people forced to toss food when we were in Mexican ports before reboarding the ship. One port even had a dog there sniffing people's bags. It seems everyone has had different experiences - isn't there something on the Patter that says you can't bring food off or on the ship in a port? It just seems so inconsistent.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fallscityman said:

What is the Holland America policy on bringing bottled water and/or soda on board?

"Policy" as in how much?  A "reasonable amount" of soda - usually one 12 pack per person.  Water - not sure about the amount, but I've seen people bringing 1-2 cases onboard.

....or how to bring it aboard?  Must be in your carry on bags, not checked.

6 hours ago, Felix331 said:

I think there would be a riot if people couldn't bring their sourdough bread on the ship in SF. 

Sis and I often joke that the only reason we go to Alaska is to make a trip to The Alaskan Fudge Co. in Juneau.  We might just riot if we couldn't bring back our chocolate treasure.  

Truth is no one has ever asked what was in our bags anywhere we have been.

• Like 1

We have purchased favorite food items in ports for years and enjoyed them in our cabin especially when traveling in Europe and the Mediterranean, made no effort to hide what we were doing.  No problem on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Crystal, Cunard... only cruise line that has strict rules on this issue is NCL .    We have brought back nuts, cheese,  dates, candy, pastries, olives, hot cooked tomato salads, pita bread....  you name it ... as I say, only on NCL did I need to go prepared with plastic bags to put in my carry on.    Food on NCL is so bad in the MDR and buffet ... I suspect that is why they have this rule, want you to pay extra for meals on board.   We did buffet (salad bar only) daily on NCL, on a 11 day Mediterranean, supplemented with food items from the port that we liked.  

Obviously you need to eat on board, can't take off ship what you bring on, unless prepackaged.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blondilu said:

Sis and I often joke that the only reason we go to Alaska is to make a trip to The Alaskan Fudge Co. in Juneau.  We might just riot if we couldn't bring back our chocolate treasure.  

A few years ago, on a cruise to Alaska, I was able to carry onboard 6 cooked  whole King Crab legs (sealed in shrink wrap) from a wholesale fish market in Ketchikan, Alaska.    They went through shipboard security without issue.   Ate them my suite.  With a bottle of champagne.   It was delicious . 👍

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 10:35 AM, skynight said:

I think you can bring on whatever food you like for use in your cabin. I see no specific prohibition. What you can't do is take non-packaged food off the ship at ports.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. We were in Monterey and I purchased a large container of clam chowder for my friend who stayed on board. Returning to the ship I was scolded and my claim chowder was confiscated... “No soup for you”, lol.   That container of soup was super hot and waiting to be consumed.

14 hours ago, Blondilu said:

Your post made me realize that I brought candy on board from the shop in Ketchikan (which everyone sold visit, by the way).  They were in a bag and box, but not pre-packaged.  Like you, no one looked or asked what was in our bags.  I even brought back chocolate-covered oreos from that shop for our Cruise Director and no one batted an eye when I left them for him at Guest Services.  

2 hours ago, ckb104 said:

Your post made me realize that I brought candy on board from the shop in Ketchikan (which everyone sold visit, by the way).  They were in a bag and box, but not pre-packaged.  Like you, no one looked or asked what was in our bags.  I even brought back chocolate-covered oreos from that shop for our Cruise Director and no one batted an eye when I left them for him at Guest Services.  

Yummmm, chocolate covered oreos.  Now I have to go back.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:02 PM, scarlett39 said:

Hi there - I'm new to these Boards but have been cruising for many years and find this really confusing. We were on a Canada/New England cruise and I tried to bring a bag containing fresh cannolis onboard that I had purchased in Boston. They stopped us and told us we couldn't bring them onboard - our choice was to throw them away or eat them before boarding. So we stopped and went and set on a bench at the dock and scarfed them down. I never tried to bring anything unwrapped after that experience. Also, after that I have seen people forced to toss food when we were in Mexican ports before reboarding the ship. One port even had a dog there sniffing people's bags. It seems everyone has had different experiences - isn't there something on the Patter that says you can't bring food off or on the ship in a port? It just seems so inconsistent.

I have read that folks were forced to get rid of pizza in Italy on NCL, never read or hear this on other lines.  Princess clearly indicates you can't bring food items off the ship in port in the Patter.  The reverse is not the case as far as I know.   If I had someone telling I could not bring on a pastry item, we done  all over the world, I would ask to talk to the supervisor or officer in charge.  I think sometimes someone means well, but is confused about the policy.  

On 5/30/2019 at 6:51 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. We were in Monterey and I purchased a large container of clam chowder for my friend who stayed on board. Returning to the ship I was scolded and my claim chowder was confiscated... “No soup for you”, lol.   That container of soup was super hot and waiting to be consumed.

They may have been more concerned that it would get spilled .... once again, I ask to speak to the officer incharge...  

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

I have read that folks were forced to get rid of pizza in Italy on NCL, never read or hear this on other lines.  Princess clearly indicates you can't bring food items off the ship in port in the Patter.  The reverse is not the case as far as I know.   If I had someone telling I could not bring on a pastry item, we done  all over the world, I would ask to talk to the supervisor or officer in charge.  I think sometimes someone means well, but is confused about the policy.  

I agree with your comment. I suspect that a crew member who doesn't allow food to be taken on board, is confusing the rule about taking food ashore. I agree with your suggestion of asking (politely) to speak to a supervisor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with your comment. I suspect that a crew member who doesn't allow food to be taken on board, is confusing the rule about taking food ashore. I agree with your suggestion of asking (politely) to speak to a supervisor.

yes, of course politely... thanks for pointing that out.  

I would like to clarify that it was not a Princess crew member who stopped me - it was port security checking people who were reboarding. They had a sign stating no unpackaged food could pass and two big trash cans waiting for those like me who had fresh food. I was not being singled out - in fact as we were getting up from our bench after polishing off our cannolis a couple sat down to eat the lobster rolls they had planned to bring back. When I asked the security why it wasn’t  allowed he made it clear it was a US regulation - not Princess. So I would not have presumed to try to ask for a supervisor or appear uncooperative or argumentative. For those if you who have successfully brought food back - lucky you. That’s great that it works most of the time. But as many of us have shared there are times it does not - so it might be nice if we could just agree that it’s not a sure thing and those of us who have had food confiscated are not stupid, misinformed, shrinking violets or whatever else has been implied. No means no sometimes. I didn’t lose sleep over it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scarlett39 said:

I would like to clarify that it was not a Princess crew member who stopped me - it was port security checking people who were reboarding. They had a sign stating no unpackaged food could pass and two big trash cans waiting for those like me who had fresh food. I was not being singled out - in fact as we were getting up from our bench after polishing off our cannolis a couple sat down to eat the lobster rolls they had planned to bring back. When I asked the security why it wasn’t  allowed he made it clear it was a US regulation - not Princess. So I would not have presumed to try to ask for a supervisor or appear uncooperative or argumentative. For those if you who have successfully brought food back - lucky you. That’s great that it works most of the time. But as many of us have shared there are times it does not - so it might be nice if we could just agree that it’s not a sure thing and those of us who have had food confiscated are not stupid, misinformed, shrinking violets or whatever else has been implied. No means no sometimes. I didn’t lose sleep over it. 

Word to the wise don't be so obvious, i.e., walking up to the gate eating pizza may not work, if you have your goodies in a shopping bag probably will not be questioned.    Obviously there are exceptions.   We often return from port early, early in the day there is less checking of everything by the way.   We enjoy our port treats a lot.  Happy cruising.  

Just had a thought...

As noted by Scarlett39, it's apparently a US regulation that you aren't supposed to take food that isn't packaged by the manufacturer onto a ship. So why is it OK to do the same thing on an airplane?

Princess isn't the only one that's consistent in its inconsistency.:classic_ninja:

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Just had a thought...

As noted by Scarlett39, it's apparently a US regulation that you aren't supposed to take food that isn't packaged by the manufacturer onto a ship. So why is it OK to do the same thing on an airplane?

Princess isn't the only one that's consistent in its inconsistency.:classic_ninja:

This

There is no reason for it to be a problem, to bring it ONTO a cruise ship.

It seems that the problem lies with US/Canadian ports/personnel, not the cruise lines(except NCL), and even that is inconsistent -  I have done cruises to Alaska, Hawaii, Canada and the Caribbean, without a problem. 

Eating local fruits, cheeses, breads, various pickles etc. has become a part of our seaday 'happy hours' on every cruise, all over the world.