RCL VS. PRINCESS FOR LAND AND CRUISE ALASKA

Looking to book land and cruise in Alaska and am deciding between RCL and Princess. We have multiple cruises on each but are getting close to Diamond on RCL. Always heard Princess is the best for Alaska but I don't see any differences and those days toward Diamond would really help. Does anyone know the differences or have any info on each. Thanks.

Can't help with your exact question since I'm loyal to Royal but I would also consider doing land on your own, not through a cruise line.  You can get assistance from an outside company.

If you have a lot of free time, here's my insanely long trip report from last summer doing 10 days DIY on land followed by a 7-night Radiance Southbound cruise with RC...

Hands down, Princess for Alaska. Even though I prefer Princess, that’s not why I’m saying this. Princess was one of the original cruise lines to AK, it has a coveted permit to visit Glacier Bay, and it owns its own nice lodges. Royal Caribbean contracts out for the land packages with a local AK company. It’s good, but the lodges aren’t as nice, and the overall service isn’t as good. I’m sure you’ll have fun either way, but if you really want the best AK experience, do Princess. 

• Like 1

I would select the cruiseline based on the itinerary and DIY for the land based portion.

Hubbard Glacier doesn't get the same amount of love as Glacier Bay, but look for the recent LIVE Ovation post from the inaugural Alaska sailing and it will change your mind. We sailed NB on Radiance last August and loved it. We got really close to Hubbard, saw lots of calving and it was incredible. The scenery all around was gorgeous too. Plus we went to Icy Strait Point and it was my favorite port. Small, quaint, historical, charming. We did not do a land tour on our trip, and I am glad. Cruise tours in Alaska give you only a couple of days to do it and it's a LOT of travel time from Point A to Point B. Doing it yourself means on your own timeline and schedule. Nobody rushing you when you want to linger to enjoy a cup of hot coffee, or when you want to watch a bear catch salmon in a creek, or when you just do want to get up before 7am.

Check out the Alaska forum for more info. Lots and lots of helpful advice over there.

I would do RCI just for the balcony options.  We looked at all lines before booking our AK trip in Sept. 2020 and narrowed it down to HAL and RCI because we like to be on a balcony.  I know AK can be cool or cold but that is why they make jackets.  Have never done the before the cruise experience so cannot comment on that part.

10 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Hands down, Princess for Alaska. Even though I prefer Princess, that’s not why I’m saying this. Princess was one of the original cruise lines to AK, it has a coveted permit to visit Glacier Bay, and it owns its own nice lodges. Royal Caribbean contracts out for the land packages with a local AK company. It’s good, but the lodges aren’t as nice, and the overall service isn’t as good. I’m sure you’ll have fun either way, but if you really want the best AK experience, do Princess. 

Royal Caribbean has permits for Glacier Bay starting with the 2021 season.  The itineraries won't be released until December, but will be interesting to see what they will be and which ship or ships.

Definitely Princess.  Especially if you do a pre or post stay in Alaska.  Princess and Holland America developed the Alaskian market and they have the best packages and the best itineraries.  Plus, Princess ships typically have fewer passengers and have a higher level of service.   

I know you asked about RCI vs Princess for Alaska but you may appreciate our experience when we asked the same question.

We had really only experienced RCI ships to any degree but had read here that Glacier Bay was a deal breaker in Alaska so that meant looking at Princess or HAL.  On this trip we were going with my Dad (75+) and my sister (50+) and their spouses.  When our TA found out we were going with mature folks instead of the kids she pushed hard for HAL or Celebrity. With the Glacier Bay variable in play we chose HAL.

Glacier Bay was very nice but we missed RCI and their type of cruise greatly.  HAL was fine (we agreed the food was better) but it was a whole different vibe.  To this day I regret no booking with RCI.

Just food for thought.  

Edited by Bradison
missing word

1 minute ago, Bradison said:

I know you asked about RCI vs Princess for Alaska but you may appreciate our experience when we asked the same question.

We had really only experienced RCI ships to any degree but had read here that Glacier Bay was a deal breaker in Alaska so that meant looking at Princess or HAL.  On this trip we were going with my Dad (75+) and my sister (50+) and their spouses.  When our TA found out we were going with mature folks instead of the kids she pushed hard for HAL or Celebrity. With the Glacier Bay variable in play we chose HAL.

Glacier Bay was very nice but we missed RCI and their type of cruise greatly.  HAL was fine (we agreed the food was better) but it was a whole different vibe.  To this day I regret no booking with RCI.

Just food for thought.  

I have recently sailed on both HAL and Princess.  Princess was much more vibrant and gave us a much better dining experience.

Booking land tours thru a cruise line is insanely expensive.  Rent an SUV and drive to Denali.  A hotel and tour of Denali can easily be booked on your own.  You can stop and take pictures along the way, and not be rushed around AK.

There is a rest stop on the highway about an hour away from the park where you can actually see MT. Denali.  Inside the park, probably not.  Take the train on your own from Anchorage to Seward, beautiful trip.  Use the money you save to upgrade your cabin and eat at some specialty restaurants.

Don't get hung up on Glacier Bay or Hubbard glacier.  Traveling deep into Denali makes the whole trip worthwhile.

3 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Booking land tours thru a cruise line is insanely expensive.  Rent an SUV and drive to Denali.  A hotel and tour of Denali can easily be booked on your own.  You can stop and take pictures along the way, and not be rushed around AK.

There is a rest stop on the highway about an hour away from the park where you can actually see MT. Denali.  Inside the park, probably not.  Take the train on your own from Anchorage to Seward, beautiful trip.  Use the money you save to upgrade your cabin and eat at some specialty restaurants.

Don't get hung up on Glacier Bay or Hubbard glacier.  Traveling deep into Denali makes the whole trip worthwhile.

I think this great advice.  We loved the land tour as much as the cruise but everything was on the cruise line's schedule.  The tour description said we got two days in Denali but it was really like 22 hours, half of one day and half of the other.  Couldn't even do the full tour in the park.  We loved the train and I knew we would.  The hard part was doing the train into the Denali area and then finding a rental car.  That is why I bailed and went with the HAL land tour.  Next time I will rent an SUV in Anchorage and go at our own pace. 

• Like 1