MSC strikes again..

On another site, I read where one of the tow cables from a tug broke free - might be the reason for this crash, but it's just another incident for Venice to refer to in order to limit cruise ship access.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Read about the incident earlier today on Facebook. If one of the tugboat lines got loose or broke while docking I can understand why the ship was coming into the dock too fast. I forgot about the fact that the Venice Port Authority requires that all cruise ships docking at their facilities require tugboat assistance. 

1 hour ago, SailorJeff66 said:

Last year the Armonia crashed the dock in Roatan, now the Opera in Venice.....obviously not just an MSC problem( Norwegian, I'm looking at you). But they seem to have the crash bug.

Let us not forget the Carnival Vista destroying the dock and damaging some small boats in Messina a few years ago...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cruise-ship-destroys-marina_n_57d5810be4b03d2d459aec04

19 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

Read about the incident earlier today on Facebook. If one of the tugboat lines got loose or broke while docking I can understand why the ship was coming into the dock too fast. I forgot about the fact that the Venice Port Authority requires that all cruise ships docking at their facilities require tugboat assistance. 

I read that the ship had an engine problem. The tug was trying to slow the ship and the line broke under the stress.

2 hours ago, SailorJeff66 said:

Wow! That is really bad. Watch all the people trying to run off the smaller ship. At the 14 second mark it looks like one or two people didn't make it to shore and fell in the water when the gangway separated from shore. I sure hope they survived being run over by the large ship. 

Lots of discussion with more videos, pictures and articles on the MSC board: 

Uniworld reports that 4 passengers and no crew were injured and taken to the hospital.  Since it was turn around day, most passengers on the River Countess (which can have up to 130 passengers and 42 crew) had already disembarked.  Otherwise the number of injured may have been higher.

2 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Wow! That is really bad. Watch all the people trying to run off the smaller ship. At the 14 second mark it looks like one or two people didn't make it to shore and fell in the water when the gangway separated from shore. I sure hope they survived being run over by the large ship. 

I believe the small ship is a water taxi, prevalent in Venice.

17 minutes ago, nelblu said:

No, she is a full blown river cruise ship with over 60 staterooms for 130 guests and some 360' long.  She is owned by Uniworld river cruises.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillB48 said:

No, she is a full blown river cruise ship with over 60 staterooms for 130 guests and some 360' long.  She is owned by Uniworld river cruises.

If anyone is interested in the size difference between the MSC Opera and the Uniworld River Countess....

Uniworld River Countess:  361 feet long , 3 decks high (30 feet?), 37.5 feet wide with up to 130 guests and 42 crew.

MSC Opera:  902 feet long, 177 feet high, 105 feet wide with up to 2679 passengers and 728 crew.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

As has been stated, the smaller ship was a river cruise ship. It is about 1/3rd the length of the larger ship. 

Several people fell into the water while trying to evacuate the smaller ship. When watching the entire incident unfold, and the distance the large ship traveled after hitting the smaller ship, it is quite clear that the people who fell into the water were overcome by the hull of the larger ship. It seems a miracle that these people were not killed, drowned or severely hurt by the hull passing by or over them.

I have read reports that the bow thrusters on the hull of the larger ship were struggling to steer the bow. This would mean that anyone in the water as the bow passed them could have been sucked into those thrusters with horrible results. Thankfully that appeared to not have happened. 

I also think the person at the door of the smaller ship who was helping people evacuate is a hero. He saw the large ship approaching, and not knowing how serious the impact would be, risked his life by staying there to help as many people off the smaller ship as possible. Kudos to him for putting the passengers's lives before his own.