MSC and Travel Agents?

jkgourmet

21 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

MSC gets an A rating when it comes to cruise price. 

Exactly!! As long as they stay in their lane (budget cruise with extremely low prices) it's a good option for consumers. When they start creeping up prices thinking they can compete head to head with competition is when I start raising my eyebrows. 

• Like 1

Anyone who has spent time on several cruise lines and this board knows the BBB rankings are ridiculous. At first, I found the MSC website wonky, but our first time with them placed them way up there in our personal rankings and subsequent customer service couldn't be better.  We have three out of our next four cruises booked with them!

• Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 7:21 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

While BBB ratings probably mean very little to the average cruiser, my understanding is that a BBB rating is based on how a company is willing to resolve issues.  If so, it's relevant information to share with cruisers.

Maybe MSC just don't give a sh... about american BBB nor that they should . 

• Like 1

BBB membership costs companies about USD$2 per employee (for companies with more than 200 employees) per year, based on published rates.  I would guess the other cruise lines have negotiated special rates.  Pay the membership fee, fill in the forms and get the better rating (based on what you put in the forms).   

MSC obviously decided it's not worth it  (which is debatable) ...

When I read the complaints posted on the BBB for MSC, I tend to see a couple of common themes.  First off, there are very few recent ones.  Second, almost all of the complaints start out with "I booked this cruise on xxx date through xxx large online travel agency".  Therein lies the first problem...The large OTA's are not giving you the personalized service needed for a cruise line like MSC that consistently has issues.  Second, many of the comments are referencing things as problems that are clearly stated.  There is one complaint about a quad inside cabin guarantee being split into 2 cabins.  MSC very clearly states on the booking site that a quad guarantee may be split into two cabins at the cruise line's discretion without notice. If the OTA is not providing you that notice, that is on the agency, not MSC.  Almost every issue on there could have been avoided or easily resolved without a problem had a knowledgeable travel agent been used instead of people searching out where they could get the most on-board credit for their booking.  

I stopped trusting BBB ratings many years ago when I realized that "Accredited businesses" tended to always have high ratings, even if they were companies which had many customer issues.  By paying for their accreditation, the companies are paying to keep their rating up. I have done 4 MSC cruises to date with more booked, and have had family and friends join us as well.  Yes, there have been issues, but they have always been easily resolved by staying on top of them and knowing the right questions to ask, the right things to be disclosed, and the right way to go about it.

MSC does not pay lower commissions to TA's than any other cruise line. They are on par with the industry. The reason some agents/agencies avoid them is because they don't want to take the time to learn the right way of doing things with MSC.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, slei15 said:

MSC does not pay lower commissions to TA's than any other cruise line. They are on par with the industry. The reason some agents/agencies avoid them is because they don't want to take the time to learn the right way of doing things with MSC.

Actually, according to my travel agent, she does not have the time to wait on hold endlessly.  And get different answers from MSC whenever she calls.  Travel agents need to make a living too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Actually, according to my travel agent, she does not have the time to wait on hold endlessly.  And get different answers from MSC whenever she calls.  Travel agents need to make a living too.

It's up to the agent to make their decisions on what to sell. There are times to call when it is busier and times when it is less busy. After dealing with them enough, you find agents in the call center that are knowledgeable and will give you the right answer, and you strictly deal with those agents. 90% of what needs to be done with MSC can be done through the agent booking website, and the correct answers to most questions are there too if the agent knows where to look.  Sure it took some time to learn, but it isn't all that complicated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slei15 said:

It's up to the agent to make their decisions on what to sell. There are times to call when it is busier and times when it is less busy. After dealing with them enough, you find agents in the call center that are knowledgeable and will give you the right answer, and you strictly deal with those agents. 90% of what needs to be done with MSC can be done through the agent booking website, and the correct answers to most questions are there too if the agent knows where to look.  Sure it took some time to learn, but it isn't all that complicated.

You seem to be suggesting that my agent is not competent.  I assure you she is quite competent and I don't blame her for her dislike of booking with MSC.  I've heard other TAs say the same thing.  Feel free to keep being an MSC cheerleader.  I'm done with this discussion.

• Like 2

I woudn't be happy with any agent who dismisses any reasonable cruise line and refuses to book them. On the other hand, if I had a trusted agent and she said "I'll try, but I've had bad experiences with their hold times in the past, I would respect their decision to try elsewhere. I recall an agent at AAA (just a random person I visited) said they didn't work with NCL.  Maybe some agents just don't want to deal with less expensive cruises. That was about ten years ago before the Haven became popular.  

BTW- I am a new MSC cheerleader after resolving our original booking quagmire. I was pretty tentative going on the cruise but it turned out to be fantastic.

Back in the olden days (around 2002, I think) my travel agent did not sell Norwegian.  She stated there were too many complaints against them.

At that time I had just started reading the internet's cruise sites.  There were a lot back then.  I had read that other agents didn't sell NCL either and that the REAL reason was that their TA commission rate (at that time) was less than the other lines.

17 minutes ago, mafig said:

Back in the olden days (around 2002, I think) my travel agent did not sell Norwegian.  She stated there were too many complaints against them.

At that time I had just started reading the internet's cruise sites.  There were a lot back then.  I had read that other agents didn't sell NCL either and that the REAL reason was that their TA commission rate (at that time) was less than the other lines.

Yep, and let us not forget that RCL who was the first line to implement 'no discounting.' (before they owned celebrity). They still have that policy. This is when all the perks started coming in. Agents couldn't discount the price, but they could offer incentives (OBC, etc...).

According to my gal, MSC has the same commission structure as the other lines, it's just their policies which make things challenging. For what it's worth, to me it seems like there has been some improvement with MSC over the last 5 or so years. Obviously not enough for all agents to jump onboard, but there are enough agents selling MSC that someone wanting to purchase should be able to find an agent. 

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

1) MSC is the only line that agents refuse to sell.

2) MSC is the only line that scores an F in BBB.

Correlation or causation? It's a serious question.

I think there have been enough posts here to contradict #1.  There are agents that sell MSC.  I have a cruise currently booked on MSC through a TA.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 3:41 PM, sfaaa said:

MSC gets an A rating when it comes to cruise price. 

Only rating I care its my own personal opinion . I will not cruise on NCL even for free and I did not like Celebrity and I don't really care what rating they have in what BBB:classic_laugh: 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I think there have been enough posts here to contradict #1.  There are agents that sell MSC.  I have a cruise currently booked on MSC through a TA.

Of course, As I've stated numerous times in this thread there are many agents (thousands even) that do sell MSC. 

Is the BBB rating the new hobbyhorse to be ridden as frequently as possible as was the "smelly" rooms posts that  kept appearing and being asked about long after the design defect in the ship was corrected?

In any case, Carnival Cruise Line also had the distinction of being a cruise line that was not sold by many agents back in the 70s and 80s due to the reputation of the on board experience. Even when I was finally talked into booking a Carnival cruise by a sister five years ago, my travel agent drew a deep breath and said,  "Are you sure?" and then started to tell me why it wasn't a good choice for me (same agent that talks about the wonderful on board experience of MSC).

As far as the BBB rating, I would look very carefully at the cruisers making the complaints. Are they the same ones that start the complaints on board ship with the words "On Carnival...."

I, personally, will no longer cruise on NCL, Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I will cruise on MSC.

As far as the low prices on a "budget" line goes that can't compete with other lines, I see those prices as MSC's way of introducing a new cruise departure port  (Miami) to their international clientele and possibly attract new North American cruisers. MSC's problem is the fact that they chose to try to attract those cruisers from the entry level lines (Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean)  and not those from HAL, Princess or Celebrity.

During  a daily discussion with a ship's officer (our cruise background came up during one of those routine questions asked by him about how the cruise was going) where he came to ask us specific question each day, we did discuss the targeted cruise lines' passengers that MSC tried to attract for USA sailings. His answer, "We thought the passengers that cruised HAL, Celebrity and Princess are happy with those lines and would not be willing to try a new line). 

Now that a clientele has been attracted,  MSC can end the introductory rates and raise their rates to the level where they are equivalent to the on board experience. Some call the experience "shortcomings," some of us can appreciate the difference.

I guess I will now be branded a "cheerleader;"  I'm not. Their are people who have asked me about MSC. Some I tell go for it. There are others that I tell them that it may not be a good fit.

• Like 2

Full disclosure...I am a TA.  I have booked MSC for clients and myself (yet to sail).  Most everything can be done online through the agent site, which is easy to use.  They have a dedicated line for TA's, which is answered within minutes.  I have found their customer service on the agent line to be excellent.  I have successfully completed, and assisted clients with their status match, which is quite generous.  Commissions are fair and the agency may negotiate a commission contract.  Good TA's have the ability to work well with any cruiseline they choose.  Some may not choose to work with all lines, and that is their choice.

Much of MSC is ala carte, which means I will not pay for others to zipline, etc.  Most of my cruising experience (30+ cruises) has been good.  Only one cruise was awful, but to be fair that was a one day cruise where the ship arrived into port for embarkation several hours late.  When on holiday, enjoy yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff.  How much of the stuff we all complain about really impacts our trip?  How much does our reaction to the hiccups affect our trip.  "Relax"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Robinsoncruiseso said:

Full disclosure...I am a TA.  I have booked MSC for clients and myself (yet to sail).  Most everything can be done online through the agent site, which is easy to use.  They have a dedicated line for TA's, which is answered within minutes.  I have found their customer service on the agent line to be excellent.  I have successfully completed, and assisted clients with their status match, which is quite generous.  Commissions are fair and the agency may negotiate a commission contract.  Good TA's have the ability to work well with any cruiseline they choose.  Some may not choose to work with all lines, and that is their choice.

Much of MSC is ala carte, which means I will not pay for others to zipline, etc.  Most of my cruising experience (30+ cruises) has been good.  Only one cruise was awful, but to be fair that was a one day cruise where the ship arrived into port for embarkation several hours late.  When on holiday, enjoy yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff.  How much of the stuff we all complain about really impacts our trip?  How much does our reaction to the hiccups affect our trip.  "Relax"

Amen.  I am in the same boat so to speak. I fully agree with everyone who says service is bad on the customer phone lines.  It is. But on the travel agent line, it is good, and the TA website is very informative when you actually search it (and it generally works a lot better than the consumer site). I am by no means an MSC cheerleader, but I will defend them when they deserve defending.

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Well, he'd be wrong about me!  I'm Elite Plus with Celebrity and I'm always willing and happy to try a new line!  Been on MSC in regular cabins and YC.

Also about me.  I'm Elite+ with Celebrity, have sailed in their suites, and am very happy with the Yacht Club experience with the price point I was able to get.  They just need better itineraries.  I think MSC does the ship within a ship concept much better than Celebrity.

Now, if MSC keeps raising their YC prices to where it costs the same as cruising in a suite on Celebrity, then I'll probably give Celebrity the edge.  The food and service in Luminae are far superior to the YC restaurant.  I also prefer the rest of the ship experience (not as crowded).  And I get better benefits with Celebrity.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 2

We're only Elite on Celebrity.  Howver, my dh is already tired of the S class ships and wants to go on something different.  

We do like the YC on MSC.  He is, however, a little more fussy about food than I.  There were some really bad misses in the YC dining room during our two cruises.  I know we'll be back, though.  

• Like 1

The one fact that stops me from cruising MSC more often is the large size of their ships in the US and the resultant limited itineraries. I do prefer ships that are under 1,500 passengers.

However, I have read that MSC plans to expand into the small ship category a la' Viking or Oceania.  Those are ships that I will definitely look at.

Just think, the wonderful MSC experience in a small ship setting ....  Beautiful decor, great food, top notch entertainment the quiet, professional service by the crew, and a chance to met people from around the world. 

• 4 years later...

I happen to be an agent that does book MSC.

My experience to date working with them in 2023 has been fine.

No long phone wait times, a professional easy to use booking site, and my clients enjoy the line.

Most of the posts on this thread are pretty outdated, so maybe they are listening and improving all the time.

• Like 1