Port Canaveral Question

We sail on HOTS this Sunday and I was wondering if anyone knows what time they open the doors for embarkation at Port Canaveral.  We sailed out of Miami a few months ago and the doors opened at 9:30.  We want to get there early and don't mind waiting around to board.  Thanks for any info you can provide!

Kevin

We sailed on the Mariner June 14th cruise and got to the port about 10:20. Quite a few people there at that point. Easy check in on tablet but we had to wait in our assigned area until they let us on at 11:00.

2 hours ago, depplep said:

We sailed on the Mariner June 14th cruise and got to the port about 10:20. Quite a few people there at that point. Easy check in on tablet but we had to wait in our assigned area until they let us on at 11:00.

Were they letting you in the door of the terminal at that point?  I'm sure there will be some waiting around but we enjoy the atmosphere.  Thanks for the information!

Kevin

1 hour ago, kcmrlitz said:

Were they letting you in the door of the terminal at that point?  I'm sure there will be some waiting around but we enjoy the atmosphere.  Thanks for the information!

Kevin

They usually open the doors at 10 AM.  

8 hours ago, kcmrlitz said:

Kevin

Yes they were. We pulled into the parking garage around 10:10 and walked right in through security to the I-Pad check in and then had to wait in the Diamond area until 11am. Fastest check in ever. Also, we were off the ship and in the car at 7:23am. Port Canaveral has it down to a science.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, depplep said:

Yes they were. We pulled into the parking garage around 10:10 and walked right in through security to the I-Pad check in and then had to wait in the Diamond area until 11am. Fastest check in ever. Also, we were off the ship and in the car at 7:23am. Port Canaveral has it down to a science.

What the earliest you can self-disembark.

20 minutes ago, nelblu said:

What the earliest you can self-disembark.

They told us 7:30 but we went down to the dining room around 7:05-7:10 just to wait and they said they were already disembarking. Blew right through customs. Ship was still pulling in at 6:30 when we were sitting in the Windjammer.

Edited by depplep

1 hour ago, depplep said:

They told us 7:30 but we went down to the dining room around 7:05-7:10 just to wait and they said they were already disembarking. Blew right through customs. Ship was still pulling in at 6:30 when we were sitting in the Windjammer.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Usually around 45 minutes after arrival.

Thanks,

2 hours ago, depplep said:

That’s comforting to know. My family and I are sailing on Harmony in December and I was wondering how much their facilities had been upgraded.

58 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

How early can you check your luggage at the port without worrying about checking in?  Breakfast at Grills or Fish Lips sounds great but no desire to lug our bags around with us.

Great question!  I was thinking about doing the same thing so I hope someone will pop in with an answer.

Kevin

1 hour ago, zoepipes said:

How early can you check your luggage at the port without worrying about checking in?  Breakfast at Grills or Fish Lips sounds great but no desire to lug our bags around with us.

We've checked bags at 9:30am at Port Canaveral before.

1 hour ago, poncho1973 said:

Until I had checked in at other ports, I never knew that PC was special.  I've sailed from a bunch now and no where yet has been close to PC in terms of how great it is to embark/disembark.  Nothing close.

Baltimore is the easiest ever.  Ft Lauderdale was the worst for RCI.  PC was horrible for Carnival btw.

I have a question about PC.  Yes, we've cruised out of there, both before the new terminal and since.  When we went on Oasis a couple of years ago we arrive around 1030 and trying to drop off luggage was horrendous since people were still leaving.  I've heard that if you arrive at 11 or later, it's much quicker since everyone getting off has left.  What is everyone's experience?  We're not in a huge hurry to board, but we do have lunch res at Jamie's at 1230.

1 hour ago, BND said:

Baltimore is the easiest ever.  Ft Lauderdale was the worst for RCI.  PC was horrible for Carnival btw.

I have a question about PC.  Yes, we've cruised out of there, both before the new terminal and since.  When we went on Oasis a couple of years ago we arrive around 1030 and trying to drop off luggage was horrendous since people were still leaving.  I've heard that if you arrive at 11 or later, it's much quicker since everyone getting off has left.  What is everyone's experience?  We're not in a huge hurry to board, but we do have lunch res at Jamie's at 1230.

Normally plan to arrive at terminal around 11:30 - 1200 and can't recall ever having to wait.  Same at Port of Tampa.  Port Everglades can be another story but haven't sailed out of there since 2016 when we switched from Celebrity to RCCL.  Know many prefer to arrive at port very early and don't mind waiting.  Personal choice.  I'll arrive later and skip the wait.

2 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Normally plan to arrive at terminal around 11:30 - 1200 and can't recall ever having to wait.  Same at Port of Tampa.  Port Everglades can be another story but haven't sailed out of there since 2016 when we switched from Celebrity to RCCL.  Know many prefer to arrive at port very early and don't mind waiting.  Personal choice.  I'll arrive later and skip the wait.

Waiting in the terminal doesn't bother us, but sitting in the car in the garage waiting to drop off luggage and at the same time people are being picked up from the previous cruise does.  It probably took 1/2 hour from the time we entered the garage until we were able to go back around and park. I'd prefer to just pull in and drop off without having to deal with traffic merging from picking up people.   We typically arrive early for cruises but we're rethinking it for this one.  Having been on Oasis and Allure, we've been "wowed" by the large ships and already pretty much know the layout so just as soon want to just board and head to Jamie's.